Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 08:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Oh for god's sakes, that was a joke of a source, written by some America-hating commie. I know the type.
Whatever dude.

It’s being widely reported. Talk about the incident and not the sourcing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 08:14 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever dude.

It’s being widely reported. Talk about the incident and not the sourcing.
Widely reported?

Did you check the date on your breaking news article?

It's dated January 9th.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
At what point do we stop this horror? At what point are we doing more damage to ourselves than good?

https://original.antiwar.com/Brett_W...ban-commander/

Our "industrial military complex" and our "forever wars" are out of control.

Both political parties are to blame. Hold both parties accountable!
When people stop voting for and re electing war mongers like Trump, like Obama, like Bush, like Clinton ... The President controls troop movements and can bring the troops home at any time. If you voted for any of the before mentioned, you're part of the problem.

No one but Paul.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:18 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When people stop voting for and re electing war mongers like Trump, like Obama, like Bush, like Clinton ... The President controls troop movements and can bring the troops home at any time. If you voted for any of the before mentioned, you're part of the problem.

No one but Paul.
Right, let's elect people like Sanders who would try to erode our defense away because we think the world is just 6 BILLION people holding hands in unison. It just doesn't work that way.

BTW Trump is the least warmonger president in recent history.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:47 PM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Great source, OP!
You're welcome!

As a pacifist by religion, I visit anti-war websites.

Here is a Washington Post link for those that don't want an anti-war point of view:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...0b1_story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If you voted for any of the before mentioned, you're part of the problem.
I voted for none of those....I wasn't old enough either way. But to your point, I won't hold voters responsible for all of their preferred candidates' choices and actions, so long as that voter holds them responsible when they do mess up and does not look the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If it was Russia that did this, imagine the freaking out that would occur.

But only the US reserves the right to kill civilians throughout the world, lol.
Yes. Double standards breed resentment around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
When the Afghan civilians stop aiding, abetting, and sheltering terrorist in civilian populations.
Those civilians probably see as occupiers for the past two decades.

Quote:
It is a well known tactic and used to generate bad press for the U.S. and to bring out cries from the limp-wristed leftist like yourself against your own country.
"Limp-wristed?!" Hey, I do aerobics and yoga. I jog too. I am rather fit! I am sure you are very much stronger than me, as I am a short and toothpick-size armed girl....but I don't understand why you would feel the need to exploit my lack of physical strength in an intellectual discussion?!?!

Look, I love the US. I feel as if these forever wars and killing of civilians is actually making us less safe and stirring up more and more anti-American resentment globally.

Please understand that I love the US, which is why I want us to reflect upon our actions and see if they truly represent our values and serve their stated purpose of making us more safe.

Don't you as an individual reflect on yourself and actions/beliefs from time to time? Shouldn't a country...which is a collection of people do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This drone attack was done at the request of the Afghan Security Forces.
Why are we involved in what amounts to an Afghanistan Civil War? A Civil War that would have been lost by the side that we are supporting if we weren't there.

Why is it our business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well............................ gotta break a few eggs when making an omlette.

They killed a few thousand of us and it did not seem to bother them one bit.

If you start a fight, expect to get punched.
Those civilians didn't start the fight...but rather they see us as a foreign occupier.

Our brave service members are noble, but put yourself in the shoes of an Afghanistan person....US drones have killed hundreds if not thousands of civilians the past 20 years....as we have occupied swaths of their country. Can you blame some of them if they see us as terrorists?

Isn't empathy important? Putting ourselves in their shoes for a moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
You do remember 9//11 don't you?
Well I wasn't even 6 months old when that happened...and probably had stinky diapers.

But to your point...read my point above that I wrote to hawkeye2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
In Afghanistan the Taliban are civilians or perhaps someone can show us their uniform to prove otherwise !!!
If your statement is true then that is even more reason to leave. Does not our own Declaration of Independence state that governments have the right to govern from the consent of the people....if the people are all for the Taliban...why on earth do we think it is a good idea to fight for the opposite side in that civil war?

Old 02-02-2020, 09:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
If our armed forces can confirm that a HVT is located in such a specific place, then we certainly can precision strike them with minimal to zero collateral damage.

I mean how else we know this HVT actually is there physically? And if we are not inclined to literally bombard a huge area because we want avoid as much collateral, then certainly we can get closer and closer.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
This is horrible. I wish man would just get along and stop fighting period- but from day one we are a world of violence. Politically now both administrations have to carry the weight of civilian lives lost. Who suffer are the troops who hurt and killed those they never planned to hurt. Don’t think it does not weigh heavily on most of them. Sad day for all those families who are caught in the middle. Sad all the way around.
I wonder if such acts like blind drone striking is an illegal command, and the troops or officers on the ground can defy those orders especially if they know there will be civilian casualties, and there are other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Exactly, and notice the link the OP provided. Who’s going to believe that, other than the Leftists?
But there have been proven cases of civilian casualties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Amoral sociopaths who who support an amoral sociopath in the White House do not care about civilian casualties.

Ask yourself: What other country on earth has killed foreign citizens of another country like the United States has since 2001?

Answer: No one.
US has been involved in Wars for before 2001. Actually many countries have. Like prior to WW2 Europe was the world bully.

Below is a good break down of all the wars USA has been in since independence.

https://www.thoughtco.com/american-i...resent-4059761

Old 02-02-2020, 09:49 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
i would think one wants as little risk as possible for ones own troops....but...if there is NO risk and killing is push/button robots a whole new perspective is brought into play..the average American looks upon warfare with the intellectual capacity of a junior high schooler and actually chants USA USA as if it was a pep rally...this is BIG BUSINESS...in a different post you refer to dea controlled opiates...i suggest you research into the Dulles brothers and were all this originated with the rail roads of the 19th century and their connection to the Banking industry and wall street an alphabet soup of agencies exist within the "inteligence sector"

https://danielpsheehan.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Ct...ature=emb_logo

all big business has spread sheets and studies of every conceivable angle the oil companies included..if a new pipeline is needed then an assessment will be done to determine the stability of the region and then whatever is needed will be done to control the stability of the region....one cannot install democracy depending on culture it takes generations all the political types just give one line of BS which one chooses to like better (no truth)
Yes, we want our soldiers to be safe and stay alive, but more importantly, we want them to stand up and fight, and be brave, not hide away and push buttons to kill others, that is the definition of 'cowardly'.

What would we be saying if the taliban flew drones over US residential areas and started dropping bombs on targets?!

Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,723 times
According to the Tuskegee Institute, 4,743 people were lynched between 1882 and 1968 in the United States, including 3,446 African Americans and 1,297 whites. No innocent bystanders were lynched.

Between 2004 and 2020 from 8,459 to 12,105 people were drone lynched by the United States. Of that total 769 to 1,725 were civilians, including an estimated 253 to 397 children.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.co...ects/drone-war

Last edited by mathlete; 02-02-2020 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
When the Afghan civilians stop aiding, abetting, and sheltering terrorist in civilian populations. It is a well known tactic and used to generate bad press for the U.S. and to bring out cries from the limp-wristed leftist like yourself against your own country.
Most of those civvies likely have no choice in the matter. They probably dont want to be there knowing the USA is likely targeting them. But well what choice they have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I just dont understand why we have a presence there. It's a horrible place and I'm sure few are truly good people. Either get out or moab the whole place.
If we had not illegally invaded Iraq, perhaps we have the manpower. When we invaded Iraq, most of the coalition forces from Europe did not follow us in. Perhaps we not invade Iraq, our coalition forces have more confidence in our cause and stay, or even increase their own presence in Afghanistan along with our own more numerous presence since we never in Iraq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It never ends. The world can go on being a horrible place in many instances without us showing up to bomb, massacre and slaughter them for it.

Show me a candidate for office who will genuinely oppose all such stupidity fully and completely and I will wholeheartedly support that man or woman to be elected to whatever office they aspire to. I only know of two presently: Rand Paul and Tulsi Gabbard. All the rest of are a bunch of warmongering hacks.
Ron Paul, and even Gary Johnson. I wonder what Gary Johnson doing these days. I not hear about him in this upcoming election.

Quote:
So what? That makes it okay?

It’s their nation, not yours. You had no issues with the “jihadists at night” when they were terrorizing the Soviets. Now it’s all about Allah sorting them out, huh?

Typical American imperialist mentality.

You’re not gonna “liberate” Afghanistan though.

Lol @ collateral damage. This type of cavalier BS is exactly why we’re gonna lose in Afghanistan.
We created and supported the proto-terrorist/Taliban by creating and abetting the Mujihadeen. We should have stayed out of that war between the Soviets, and Afghans.

Quote:
You’re kidding, right?

The United States is killing people in a nation that’s 7 thousand miles away from here. A nation that’s no threat at all to this country. We’re trying to kill off a native Afghan organization that can EASILY blend in with the population in a country where people are suspicious of outsiders, speak a language that may as well be Martian, and practice a religion that we perceive as hostile to our own. They have customs that are thousands of years old, and they’ve never been defeated by an outsider. These are people that have absolutely ZERO respect for a centralized government in Kabul, and rely on tribal forms of government that are rooted in hundreds of years of tradition.

So what exactly are we at war with? Our “enemies?” Who are they? Do you even know? You can’t see the fallacy of a superpower going into the graveyard of empires to chase a ragtag group of hardened militants that had no problems chasing our the Soviets? You think we’re gonna win THAT war? LMAO...you folks must be out of your minds.

Now 60 civilians are dead. I guess that means the Taliban will throw in the towel and declare surrender.
Well AQ HQed in Afghanistan and being sheltered by the Taliban. When they crashed planes in WTC, we had to attack them. Plus the Taliban are just a rehash of the Mujihadeen, which the USA abetted and worked with. They not so suspicious of us back then. And is not true Afghanistan never been conquered by outsiders. Many kingdoms like the Hephalites, Kushans, Persians, Macedonian Greeks, Chagatai etc etc and taken over the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies