Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:36 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Apparently so. It went completely over your head.

The topic backfired spectacularly and here you are still trying to defend it. But I'll give you a gold star to put on your participation certificate.
Yup I effed up.
Ill own it.

Dont post while drinking at a super bowl party..

Old 02-03-2020, 10:39 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Buried or hidden anti personnel mines are nasty by nature, as they dont have a specific target. Even a 30 day timer in one has flaws for a battlefield with a fast changing real estate nature.
Yeah, well warfare is inherently dangerous.

The very concept that being overly worried about people accidentally getting hurt while running around an active battlefront is somewhat absurd.

You can get accidentally shot.

Unexploded munitions can go off.

Anti-aircraft fire and SAM's eventually come back to earth.

Shells can go astray, 1000lb bombs to hit a CNC bunker can level a nearby building as well.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If they have a self-destruct mechanism, it is no doubt handled through some sort of computer setting. thus we could set them for a month, a year etc.

Next, with GPS mappings should the conflict end then we can fairly easily clear those mine fields if they still have a fair bit of "time on the clock" so to speak.

Thanks for discussing the issue.

I think a lot of people too often take political positions on topics and we all know that administrations come and go.
No, there is no chip. They have a battery and when the batter dies, the mine cannot detonate. They are active from few hours to few weeks, so they would not be used to defend anything permanent, or semi permanent like a US base, and nor would they be used to mine a target like Ho Chi Mihn trail, since they would have to be replaces every few days.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Yup I effed up.
Ill own it.

Dont post while drinking at a super bowl party..
+1 for manning up. Anyone that posts here for long will do this, some won't admit error and instead just run away.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, there is no chip. They have a battery and when the batter dies, the mine cannot detonate. They are active from few hours to few weeks, so they would not be used to defend anything permanent, or semi permanent like a US base, and nor would they be used to mine a target like Ho Chi Mihn trail, since they would have to be replaces every few days.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. That would be a pretty easy fix though to put a longer lasting battery and computer chip in there.

So does this new rule expand the usage of just those timed mines? Or does it allow you to do plop down more permanent ones?

I would still think that the zones can be mapped with GPS for future removal.

P.S. As a sad\interesting side-note check this out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_harvest

Old 02-03-2020, 11:02 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. That would be a pretty easy fix though to put a longer lasting battery and computer chip in there.

So does this new rule expand the usage of just those timed mines? Or does it allow you to do plop down more permanent ones?
They'll use whatever they think they need to use.

Quote:

In places like Vietnam, Cambodia and Syria we are not around to remove anything, and same could be true anywhere. Also, some mines are dropped from planes, even as cluster bombs, in which care they scatter all over the place and would be very difficult to be recovered.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:26 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
If you command a military force, especially one that far surpasses that of any other country, and supremacy is your bag...why would you willingly sign an agreement that places a limit on that superiority?

DoD spends a ton of money every year to make sure our ability to spread death and terror is second to none. Why dilute the value of that spending?

Old 02-03-2020, 12:04 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:

The US military no longer have persistent landmines in the inventory.

From the US Department of Defense

Q: How many landmines in the U.S. inventory are persistent? Does the new policy change this?
A: There are no persistent landmines in the U.S. operational inventory; the new policy does not change this.

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Rel...ndmine-policy/

Old 02-03-2020, 12:10 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
+1 for manning up. Anyone that posts here for long will do this, some won't admit error and instead just run away.
Ya I pretty much facepalmed when I looked at this post this morning.. ugh...

Old 02-03-2020, 12:20 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The US military no longer have persistent landmines in the inventory.
Lie. Sorta.

The M18A1 Claymore is in indeed an anti-personnel mine that can be and quite often is placed in the ground. They can be triggered remotely or set to trigger via booby trap wire or remote sensor. So it is't technically a persistent landmine under some according to Hoyle definition, but it's a freaking mine and it kills people who come near it.

And why would a military commander give up a wonderful tool used by their infantry for area denial and barricade defense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies