Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
TRump* removed restrictions on US landmine usage outside of the Korean Peninsula.

And you didn't pay mind to the part that CNN deliberately left out. That is those landmines deactivate after 30 days and can no longer cause any harm.

Rolled by the crooked MSM again. (it helps to read thru the topic)

Old 02-03-2020, 08:02 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Land mines have been getting cleared in former war zones an arm and a leg at a time, mostly by children. Also by livestock, too precious and costly to replace. Trump should rot in hell for expanding the use of land mines.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:00 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Oh look, a troll comes in the thread not knowing what their taking about, and spews hate.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:13 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Should we be surprised? Trump is loosening restrictions on everything bad. He weakened water standards, so he's even undermining our clean water.
no surprise this one got ensnared

Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And you didn't pay mind to the part that CNN deliberately left out. That is those landmines deactivate after 30 days and can no longer cause any harm.

Rolled by the crooked MSM again. (it helps to read thru the topic)
At least I acknowledged the actual facts to begin with, unlike someone else whom (who?) can only be bothered with asides.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:

Rolled by the crooked MSM again.
First you claimed CNN left out the part that the mines would still be used in Korea, and it turned out it was in fact mentioned in the article, and now you claim they didn't mention the 30 deactivation issue, which is also mentioned in the article.

Quote:
The new Department of Defense landmine policy will permit the operational use of landmines only if they have a 30-day self-destruction or self-deactivation feature, a design feature seen as helping to prevent civilian casualties.
What's the point of such posts?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Where did you get that idea?
The Constitution. Protect our borders, not other nations borders.

Washington warned us in his farewell address. "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world"

Jefferson in his inaugural address ""Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none.""

Old 02-04-2020, 05:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Land mines have been getting cleared in former war zones an arm and a leg at a time, mostly by children. Also by livestock, too precious and costly to replace. Trump should rot in hell for expanding the use of land mines.
Drones are better. You can target 1 person and not murder innocents. ... oh wait

Old 02-04-2020, 10:45 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Ottawa Treaty, which US has not signed, permits Claymore mines when they are used in command detonation mode, and bans them when used with tripwires.

As for the DMZ between the Koreas, there are hundreds of thousands mines still in the ground.
Sheesh.. there are mines everywhere. On land and at sea as well. And no treaty is worth the paper its written on to stop their use.

The fact that they are indiscriminate and brutal is what makes them favored with terrorists. They use them on combat troops and civilians with equal enthusiasm.

I do believe everything mine wise that the US uses has a command detonation option but tripwires are an option to. Like I said earlier they are used in the greatest percentage as perimeter defense tools.

Even hand grenades can be rigged with tripwire. The M 148 firing device comes in a tin with a spool of tripwire. It can be used to set off anything that goes boom.

I guarantee you that even on perimeter defenses not every AP device is set up on strictly command detonation. Treaty or no treaty.

Mines are a fact of life on the battlefield. There are still hundreds of types of mines everywhere still in place going back as far as at least the Civil War I would bet. The South Pacific has got to be littered with them on land and in the water.

The sea mines are big boomers too. Every single region that has had any type of insurgency or terrorist activity is strewn with them. Hell, I was out Chukar hunting one day in an area the local NG uses for drill and popped a smoke grenade on a tripwire that was left in a waddy.

This crap is EVERYWHERE.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sheesh.. there are mines everywhere. On land and at sea as well. And no treaty is worth the paper its written on to stop their use.

The fact that they are indiscriminate and brutal is what makes them favored with terrorists. They use them on combat troops and civilians with equal enthusiasm.

I do believe everything mine wise that the US uses has a command detonation option but tripwires are an option to. Like I said earlier they are used in the greatest percentage as perimeter defense tools.
Perimeter defense is one thing, but the initiative, which was pushed by Princess Diane and many others, stemmed from the several million mines left behind in places like Cambodia where people are still being killed and maimed after all these years. US didn't sign it, and neither did Russia, China or Iran, but many other nations did, and that alone reduces the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies