Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:17 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Great article everyone should read:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...nightmare.html
thanks, i was hoping someone would post this article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Don't be silly.

A conservative would enforce vagrancy laws and urinating/defecating in public.

There is a reason that the homeless flock to SF. Eliminate those reasons and there would be less homeless drug abusers there.
a conservative would not be letting this happen either:

"Each day, up to 30 people stroll in and openly steal goods, costing him hundreds of dollars."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 09:23 AM

25,729 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have, and I enjoyed it, but that was well over a decade ago, and I knew it was a temporary relo. It has certainly declined since then, and if you can't see that you are blind. The entire State of CA is in an unsustainable decline. When we get the next Dem President, and Dem controlled Congress they will ask for and get a Fed bailout. Meaning people in other States will be FORCED to pay for their horrible Fiscal Management and Illegal Alien promotion.
Why didnt Obama make that happen for Illinois? I thought for sure he'd try to use federal funds to bail out the Illinois Pension funds, but it never materialized. Maybe he knew the public outcry would be intense.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:35 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
The article pointed out that half of all homeless in America are in California. If the stats say 1/2 million are homeless, to be realistic double that figure to 1 million. Then figure that half that million homeless is split between San Francisco and Los Angeles and you get an idea of the true scope of the problem.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:29 AM

339 posts, read 127,495 times
I'm in the IT field and used to travel to San Francisco/San Hose frequently. Two years ago I took my family there for a vacation and it is NOT the same place at all. This is a direct result of the elected, extreme liberals going out of their way to give them hand-outs (especially if they can vote). So much for Clinton with his "hand up" programs, the Democrats now prefer this instead.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Great article everyone should read:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...nightmare.html
About 1% of the population is unsheltered homeless. The majority are male without children. Not likely any municipality has the capability to jail an incremental 1% of its population.

The street cleaner finds 300-600 used syringes a day on the street. The city disburses 4.5 million syringes a year as a part of a harm reduction initiative which is an enabling factor.

I do not track the source of funding addiction on the streets. They do not qualify for TANF. Eligibility for SNAP does not require an address. SNAP does however impose a work requirement to continue to be eligible for ongoing benefits. States/municipalities have leeway in terms of percentage of able- bodied recipients who must work.

Public transportation contributes to the flourishing black market and drug trafficking.

The cap in the monthly SNAP benefit in SF is $192/ month. When SNAP cards are sold, the net proceed is less than face value. Less than $192/ month does not go far when feeding addiction.

I do not agree municipalities have an obligation to provide “ affordable” housing, especially in areas with high cost of living.

All things considered, what could SF do to eliminate the homeless challenge that they are not?

Be specific.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The old-con has, back in the mid 60's. Lived in San Diego, too, during the 70's. In fact, my daughter was born there.
I remember San Francisco from back in the old days. It was a wonderful place. But I don't know much about today's San Francisco.
To me, it doesn't appear that Democrat run cities have as much to offer as they used to. FWIW, during my lifetime I also lived in Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, Ft Worth and a few other places.
I don't think San Francisco is America's future. Most places couldn't attract that many street people if they tried. San Francisco could solve the problem, but not with the current crop of city leaders. They would have to change leadership.
The trend away from rural to urban metro areas is ongoing.

It’s all about jobs and public transportation.

Cities have more good, bad and ugly no matter the politics.

Fargo ND does not have an unsheltered homeless challenge. It has nothing to do with politics and all to do with weather.

How could SF solves this problem? Be specific.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have, and I enjoyed it, but that was well over a decade ago, and I knew it was a temporary relo. It has certainly declined since then, and if you can't see that you are blind. The entire State of CA is in an unsustainable decline. When we get the next Dem President, and Dem controlled Congress they will ask for and get a Fed bailout. Meaning people in other States will be FORCED to pay for their horrible Fiscal Management and Illegal Alien promotion.
States cannot bankrupt.

States can cut costs and raise taxes.

Real estate continues to appreciate well above National average in desirable areas in California and areas close to the most desirable areas. So long as demand substantially exceeds supply, this will continue.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:27 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I doubt conservative leadership in San Francisco would change anything...........
Conservative leadership would change everything, but only because it could happen only with a change in the San Franciscan mindset. San Franciscans elect the leaders they want, and those leaders have spoiled the city. So they got what they voted for.
The rest of your post had nothing to do with San Francisco.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've never been to San Francisco in my life. I have grown up rural areas (semi rural actually, exurban areas). Where I grew up, meth is has become a problem. People are frequently getting busted for meth or other drugs. It's not stopping people from using. And this is in one of the most Republican areas of a Republican state. Democratic leadership can't seem to tackle the problem. Neither can Republican leadership. Nothing can stop people from using.
The crystal meth capitals in the US are Indiana, Missouri and Tennessee.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:31 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
................How could SF solves this problem?..............
Elect conservative leaders who will institute conservative values.
But, as I said, that is impossible with the current population and location of San Francisco. You would have to move it out of California to make real change.
The people of San Francisco got what they voted for. We all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies