Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM

13,642 posts, read 4,958,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The stupidly bogus number you cite can seem impressive only if you compare it to the "immigrants'" share of the total. Why would 75% be impressive if in fact 99% of those at these universities are "immigrants"?

Looking back at it, I see that the article's jumbled presentation doesn't limit the people in question to students, but it does engage in the standard lie: saying that if there are 50 names on the patent, and one is an immigrant, the non-immigrants do not exist. The patent is solely due to the "immigrant". The page you cite is sophomoric propaganda.
First, a number can't be "bogus" if it true. Second, you seem to miss the entire point of the article. It is not trying to say that immigrants are smarter than non-immigrants, or that they create patents at a higher rate. It is merely pointing out the fact that immigrants have a great impact on American technological advancement. Whether that is because of their education, creativity or simply due to the sheer number that are in American universities, the fact remains that if you sent all immigrants back to their country of origin, we would likely see a tremendous drop-off in technological innovation.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Every big company—tech, finance, fintech, energy—is sponsoring visas. That’s usually where the jobs ar-...were.
Sure, but the H1B employees are NOT free to work where they wish, they can only work for the sponsoring company.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ehhhh...a helluva lot of Indians are dirt poor. Hundreds of millions of them.
Yes but they don't get automatic entry into Canada.

See how that works?

Canada is consciously accepting highly skilled and educated immigrants.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:23 AM

Many U.S. and Indian technology companies have opened affiliate offices in Canada. The Canadian government, for its part, has streamlined its work permit process for tech workers and provides a clear path to permanent residence, notes Rekai.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Many U.S. and Indian technology companies have opened affiliate offices in Canada. The Canadian government, for its part, has streamlined its work permit process for tech workers and provides a clear path to permanent residence, notes Rekai.
If that is true, then my fears are becoming a reality. Jobs are moving away.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:26 AM

2,495 posts, read 869,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, but the H1B employees are NOT free to work where they wish, they can only work for the sponsoring company.
If the job is stopped, the work-visa holder doesn’t go back to India, but instead hangs around and signs on with a new stateside sponsor.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 AM

Have two sons in 'tech' field -- different aspects -- one does more research and development in aviation and the other is a senior software enginner for an education application.

Both recruit for their very different companies and have cited the lack of talent available for technical positions within their firms.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Elizabeth Warren is an Indian, so can she not be persuaded to start a new life in Canada.

She's Chief of the Squawking BS Tribe.

In terms of mass immigration, I have never supported it and especially from countries with social problems, although tbh Sikhs and Hindus are not bad people.
Well since Elizabeth Warren has been proven to be Chief of the Squawking BS Tribe, she's right where she belongs - the U.S. of A.

Some Americans apparently adore BS artists so much they elevate them to higher office, the majority tbh are not bad people.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:44 AM

52,322 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Elizabeth Warren is an Indian, so can she not be persuaded to start a new life in Canada.

She's Chief of the Squawking BS Tribe.

In terms of mass immigration, I have never supported it and especially from countries with social problems, although tbh Sikhs and Hindus are not bad people.
LOL, funny stuff. Chief of the Squawking BS Tribe, good one.

I've only known a small handful of Indian people. They all seemed like normal decent people to me. I assume they would assimilate into Canadian culture. I don't know much about how they would integrate into a new country.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, funny stuff. Chief of the Squawking BS Tribe, good one.

I've only known a small handful of Indian people. They all seemed like normal decent people to me. I assume they would assimilate into Canadian culture. I don't know much about how they would integrate into a new country.
They integrate well and have been doing so in Canada for many many years.

While there has been an increase -- there has always been a steady stream of Indian immigrants to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies