Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Canada has strick rules. And they don't want people from ###hole countries either:

Canada Has Its Own Ways of Keeping Out Unwanted Immigrants

The country’s methods of controlling immigration are simply less in-your-face than America’s.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...uccess/564944/
Interesting read. Thanks for the link. From the article:

".....Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in. Over the past 20 years, about 5 million immigrants chose Canada. But the vast majority only entered the country after Canada also chose them.

As for illegal and irregular immigration, Canadian governments from both ends of the political spectrum have worked—quietly—to ensure there is as little of it as possible. The unspoken underpinning of Canada’s otherwise welcoming immigration policy is a giant and assiduously maintained border wall.

Wait, what? Yes, Canada has a border wall—in a sense. In fact, it has five of them. Four are geographic, the fifth is bureaucratic. All have been extremely effective in sustaining the legitimacy and popularity of Canada’s immigration policy......"

"..... more than 75 percent of visa applicants from countries such as Somalia, Yemen, Afghanistan, and Syria were turned down..."

Last edited by doc1; 02-05-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-05-2020, 12:18 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Isn’t it the immigrating Indians that ask about where other Indians live on CD? They are racist, too.
Now that you mentioned it, there's no shortage of posts in the NJ forum alone where Indians flat out make it clear they want to live in an Indian concentrated town.

Nobody ever called them out on in to my recollection.

Never really thought about the racist angle when they made their desires known.

Guess it's just different with Indians when they ask.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:20 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked for 15 years internationally with a significant or predominant Indian labor force working for me and I say...Canada can have them. I find the overwhelming majority of Indian people to be just takers which I guess considering their country and culture I guess understandable.
Earth’s biggest clock-watchers. “Was that the sound of 5 o’clock?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
In India education is taken seriously. Most emerging from high school have advanced math at Calculus level, and a good knowledge of English. There is also a good work ethic laziness is not tolerated. Some of the best mechanical and aeronautical engineers in the world....
Have they managed to land anything intact yet?

Old 02-05-2020, 12:29 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
I've just been reading Nikki Haley's book. Her parents were very well off in India. Dad was a professor and mom was a lawyer who was appointed to a high court (but had to turn it down because her family didn't approve).

They lived in a big house (IIRC 5 or 6 stories). Nonetheless they immigrated to South Carolina. According to Nikki Haley it was to provide better opportunities for Nikki and her siblings.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:55 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Earth’s biggest clock-watchers. “Was that the sound of 5 o’clock?”

Biggest clock watchers are those who work in US government jobs, people who work at the Veteran's Affairs hospitals, and people who have no desire to "move up the ladder" and do crappy work, just waiting to drink a 12 pack of Natural Ice until bedtime.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Interesting read. Thanks for the link. From the article:

".....Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in. Over the past 20 years, about 5 million immigrants chose Canada. But the vast majority only entered the country after Canada also chose them.

As for illegal and irregular immigration, Canadian governments from both ends of the political spectrum have worked—quietly—to ensure there is as little of it as possible. The unspoken underpinning of Canada’s otherwise welcoming immigration policy is a giant and assiduously maintained border wall.

Wait, what? Yes, Canada has a border wall—in a sense. In fact, it has five of them. Four are geographic, the fifth is bureaucratic. All have been extremely effective in sustaining the legitimacy and popularity of Canada’s immigration policy......"

"..... more than 75 percent of visa applicants from countries such as Somalia, Yemen, Afghanistan, and Syria were turned down..."
If you read about Norway's immigration policy, it is even more strict. They do allow a fair level of immigration (IIRC over 10% of the pop. is foreign-born), but with strict rules. Immigrants are required to learn Norwegian and study the Norse culture. They are placed with a Norwegian family upon arrival and only after a year or so are allowed to move about freely. They are required to take a job, or take training for an eventual job.

Only in the US do progressives not understand that super-lax immigration is ultimately inimical to progressivism. You can have a generous safety net, or open borders. You can't have both.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

That’s an Asian tendency. They don’t often trust outsiders in their business. Yep
You can see that in some Orthodox Jews too. Like the camera and electronics shops in NYC. And most notably, the Kushners were like that too. As in Jared's dad.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You can see that in some Orthodox Jews too. Like the camera and electronics shops in NYC. And most notably, the Kushners were like that too. As in Jared's dad.
Lol...they NEVER hire outsiders except on the most rarest of occasions. Likely a lot less so than South or East Asians.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Net economic plus. Smart as heck and usually very well educated.

On average, awful to deal with in business. Cheap and always trying to sneak extras in.
They also deal with other Indians if possible. Many dont use american owned companies for service like plumbing repairs from what I have seen, They prefer to pay cash money with no need for a receipt or papertrail. I got a call from one on a saturday and the guy just said,,,, "I was given your number because I was told you can fix my plumbing " , I told him NO ,I did not fix plumbing....lol

Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I don't doubt the poster, but it would help if he or she told us where they were on the Canadian border. For example, I have no doubt that Bellingham, WA, sees many Canadians shopping; as I'm sure Detroit or Sault Ste. Marie do. Heck, it's likely that Buffalo, NY, is a popular shopping destination for Canadians in Fort Erie, St. Catherine's, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and so on.

But perhaps not Torontonians, since Buffalo is a two-hour-plus car trip for them (four-plus hours round trip). I myself live about an hour from the border, but it's a three-hour trip (six hours round trip) from my location to a Montana city that has a Walmart, a Costco, and so on. The cost of gas to go that distance, plus the currency exchange rate, plus possible taxes and duties at the border on my return to Canada, means that any savings that might be realized by shopping in the US, are eaten up in other ways.
Yes, Bellingham. We are about 15 minutes south of the Canadian border. I don’t know if this is still true because that part of town is a crazy traffic snarled mess and we avoid it. The current opinion is that they and the Chinese have no clue about how to drive. It is a county joke.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 02-05-2020 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies