Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
You make it sound like they're undesirable to have around.
Have you ever been to India? Or seen pictures?

Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It's pure BS that companies have to rely on H1-Bs --- especially when there are thousands of American citizen IT workers who are unemployed. Not to mention students coming out of college who can't find jobs. So, just stop with the nonsense that H1-Bs are needed.
You are not understanding what people are saying.

I didn't say they HAVE TO rely on them, I said many companies currently rely on them, meaning they would be in deep trouble if the H1Bs suddenly disappeared. I mentioned the company I work with have 95% Indian work force. What do you think they would do if those people suddenly moved to Canada? No one else knows the system, and it is an extremely complicated one.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

I didn't say they HAVE TO rely on them, I said many companies currently rely on them, meaning they would be in deep trouble if the H1Bs suddenly disappeared.
Yeah, there were a lot of slaveowners who made the same argument back in the 1860's. It's a problem of their own creation. To heck with 'em.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:08 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:

I didn't say they HAVE TO rely on them, I said many companies currently rely on them, meaning they would be in deep trouble if the H1Bs suddenly disappeared. I mentioned the company I work with have 95% Indian work force. What do you think they would do if those people suddenly moved to Canada? No one else knows the system, and it is an extremely complicated one.
So much hyperbole and drama. No, those companies won't be in "deep trouble". There are plenty of unemployed experienced American citizen IT workers who can fill the void. Also, students coming out of college will want those jobs. If "no one else knows the system" because H1-Bs messed it up, then even more available work for Americans.

If these companies find themselves in "deep trouble" if the H1-Bs left, then they brought it on themselves for hiring H1-Bs over American citizens or they laid off Americans and forced them to train their H1-B replacements if they wanted their severance pay. I've heard that some companies that did the latter later regretted what they had done and hired back the Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Yeah, there were a lot of slaveowners who made the same argument back in the 1860's. It's a problem of their own creation. To heck with 'em.
^^^^I couldn't rep you again but this is a spot on post. The H1-B visa is the modern day equivalent to slavery. And, yes, when it comes to companies who use H1-Bs, it definitely is a problem of their own creation.

BTW, Finn_Jarber, did you read the link in post #179? You would be wise to read it and heed what it has to say.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So much hyperbole and drama. No, those companies won't be in "deep trouble". There are plenty of unemployed experienced American citizen IT workers who can fill the void. Also, students coming out of college will want those jobs. If "no one else knows the system" because H1-Bs messed it up, then even more available work for Americans.
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. If we can't find the people today, how do we replace a much larger group of people who just happen to be the only SMEs in these companies? Even now it takes 2+ years for a college graduate to become even remotely productive while surrounded by people who are familiar with the applications, so how log would it take if there is no one to train them? The only option these companies would have is to move their operations out of the country.

Whether you like it or not, the situation today is what it is, and it cannot be fixed by being stupid. It can only be fixed little by little. You can't create a situation where corporations have no other choice than to move overseas.

Quote:
If these companies find themselves in "deep trouble" if the H1-Bs left, then they brought it on themselves for hiring H1-Bs over
No, the government provided them with this option and they took advantage of it. Should US corporations expect a stable operating environment, or a totally unpredictable one? You can't plan for anything in an unpredictable environment.

Emotionally charged "solutions" such as yours practically always have drastic consequences.

Quote:
The H1-B visa is the modern day equivalent to slavery.
Who are the slaves? The IT workers earning $100K a year? Listen to yourself.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-13-2020 at 04:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 07:48 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post

Yep, I get it. You have a personal agenda against Indians because you lost your job to them or are having a difficult time getting employment due to Indians. Perhaps you should better your education.

Understood.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. If we can't find the people today, how do we replace a much larger group of people who just happen to be the only SMEs in these companies? Even now it takes 2+ years for a college graduate to become even remotely productive while surrounded by people who are familiar with the applications, so how log would it take if there is no one to train them? The only option these companies would have is to move their operations out of the country.

Whether you like it or not, the situation today is what it is, and it cannot be fixed by being stupid. It can only be fixed little by little. You can't create a situation where corporations have no other choice than to move overseas.

No, the government provided them with this option and they took advantage of it. Should US corporations expect a stable operating environment, or a totally unpredictable one? You can't plan for anything in an unpredictable environment.

Emotionally charged "solutions" such as yours practically always have drastic consequences.

Who are the slaves? The IT workers earning $100K a year? Listen to yourself.
Did you read the link I pointed out to you?

You refuse to accept the fact that there is a lot of fraud in the H1-B visa program. You also refuse to accept that not all H1-Bs are making that kind of money. Those who work for companies like Tata, Infosys and Wipro certainly come cheap. Think about it, will you? If it costs companies the same amount of money to hire H1-Bs as it would to hire Americans, then why are they laying off Americans and forcing them to train their H1-B replacements?

Give it a rest If a company loses a good chunk of their employees, they always manage to regroup and life goes on. No one is indispensable...no one. You act like H1-Bs are indispensable. They. are. not.

Again with the exaggerations---my husband worked in IT for years. It doesn't take 2 years to become familiar with the applications. Plus he didn't even major in computer science. When he worked as a contractor, it didn't take him long at all to become accustomed to the job.

H1-Bs have to train others? No, you've got it wrong. It's the Americans who have to train the H1-Bs.

As for companies using the H1-B program. No one forced them to do so. No one forced them to exploit loopholes and lay off their American citizen workers.

If a company has allowed itself to become so dependent on H1-Bs to the point where it totally collapses should the program come to an end, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Did you know that the H1-B visa program was only supposed to be temporary? That the fees paid for visas were supposed to go to training Americans? And once those Americans got trained, the visa program was to be discontinued?

What crystal ball are you gazing in that has you making such dire predictions with nothing to support your assertions?

Again, did you even bother to read the link I pointed out? I noticed that you haven't addressed what was said in the article. Why is that?

Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Once they have been there a while, they are not Indians any more, they are Canadians. We saw it 25 years ago with the huge influx of Chinese into BC ahead of the Hong Kong colony. Today, some of them grew up in China, but most grew up in Canada, and almost all are Canadians.

Trust me, immigrants from India are not interested in creating a Canadian Hindustan.

We used to say that too. Fast forward to 2020 when companies stop holding Christmas parties ("holiday" parties or whatever you want to call them) but open their wallets when it comes to Diwali.

Or when entire blocks in new housing developments are bought up by people from the same state in India.

I could go on and on.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It’s our loss. “Small government” Trump has turned the visa application process into a bureaucratic nightmare.
We have enough people. Canada doesn't. Let them have them.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:28 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Have you ever been to India? Or seen pictures?

And what does that have to do anything with the comment you quoted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies