Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I see where I you're going with this.

And beautiful cities like London, Paris, Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Edinburgh, Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Calgary, Sydney, Melbourne, and Auckland are very liberal cities, too.

So, what's your point?

As for Michigan and Indiana? They are, for all intents and purposes, red. Totally.

And there are plenty of Trump supporters in CA, NJ, MD, and IL. If you look by county, it's clear that most "blue" states are full of Trump supporters. The US is, ultimately, a sea of red with speckles of blue. It should really just be a one-party country, actually.
Land doesn't vote. Trump lost by 3 million votes.

Election maps

Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Land doesn't vote. Trump lost by 3 million votes.

Election maps
Trump's president. Not by my doing he isn't, but what can ya do?

The US is red, through and through.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ehhhh...a helluva lot of Indians are dirt poor. Hundreds of millions of them.
Maybe, but those Indians aren't migrating.

Canada is only a half-step behind the U.S. as a major world economic force. The only thing Canada needs is more highly educated, trained personnel for a larger work force.

India speaks English as a second language, and the Indians are familiar and at ease with life lived in an English culture. They don't need much assimilation because there is so little culture shock. Canada is getting the cream of the crop.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

We used to say that too. Fast forward to 2020 when companies stop holding Christmas parties ("holiday" parties or whatever you want to call them) but open their wallets when it comes to Diwali.

Or when entire blocks in new housing developments are bought up by people from the same state in India.

I could go on and on.
You have a track record of antipathy and hostility to Indian Americans. You sure wouldn't like it here in my neighborhood. So what? Just stay angry.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Indians and Punjabi's have been immigrating here for over 100 years. They survive fine. They even play hockey.

In fact the largest Vaisakhi parade in North America is in Surrey, which attracts 500,000. There are large populations of Indians/Punjabi's in Toronto as well, which is colder than Vancouver.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...-biggest-ever/
Semantic police here. Aren't Punjabis mostly if not wholly Indians (except for those who are Pakistani - Lahore is in the state of Punjab in Pakistan)?

Granted, the largest Indo-Canadian group are Punjabis, and yes, many of them are in greater Vancouver area (BC) and Ontario.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:18 PM

22,445 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I have followed your posts on this thread and thought you've made some very legitimate points. But I can't agree with this.

The US is full of immigrants -- in fact it was settled by immigrants. My parents, who are English speaking Europeans, are immigrants. Are you suggesting that the many millions of people, including my parents, who've immigrated to the US since, say, the end of WWII, "cut and run" from their countries? Is it that simplistic?
Yes, we descend from immigrants. We aren't talking about WWII, that has long since passed. We are talking about the present. And, yes, there is no reason why Indians don't stay in their own country and work on making it a better place for all. We shouldn't be encouraging brain drain when those people are desperately needed in their own countries.

Do you know some Indians want to be US citizens just because they want a US passport? I've had one Indian say that to me. One should immigrate to another country because s/he wants to embrace it and contribute to it. IOW, they need to fully invest in it for better or for worse.

Finally, we can't continue taking in 1 million legal immigrants and untold numbers of illegal aliens on an annual basis indefinitely without descending into third world status ourselves. We don't have unlimited potable water or buildable land.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If the Indians are so smart and care about India, their own country, then why aren't they working to make it a better place instead of cutting and running?
They do. However, the reality is that the US has more of a demand for these skill sets and India produces more qualified people than the US (which is obvious with a 1 billion+ population). It's a good match.

Many Indians are investing back in India and building companies over there. But the reality is that India's trade is manufacturing and agriculture. The US's is technology. Italy's is clothing. Different countries attract different talent.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:19 PM

22,445 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
They do. However, the reality is that the US has more of a demand for these skill sets and India produces more qualified people than the US (which is obvious with a 1 billion+ population). It's a good match.

Many Indians are investing back in India and building companies over there. But the reality is that India's trade is manufacturing and agriculture. The US's is technology. Italy's is clothing. Different countries attract different talent.
No, we don't need H1-Bs. We have thousands of unemployed, experienced Americans in the STEM/IT fields that can't find work. A big reason for that is many Indians get green cards and are in a position to hire people and they blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

Did you read through the entire thread? If you had, you would have seen the link in post #179. I'll repost it here:

https://www.brightworkresearch.com/e...ndian-workers/

There is a lot of fraud in the H1-B visa program with Indians filing fraudulent applications and claiming skills they don't have. H1-Bs tend to range from mediocre to downright incompetent.

Let them build up their own IT businesses in India if they are so talented. They can add to the existing companies.

I'll ask you this --- do you favor hiring H1-Bs instead of Americans? If so, why?

Also, are you in favor of brain drain? IOW, do you think it's right to poach a second or third world country's best and brightest?

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 02-18-2020 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No, we don't need H1-Bs. We have thousands of unemployed, experienced Americans in the STEM/IT fields that can't find work. A big reason for that is many Indians get green cards and are in a position to hire people and they blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

Did you read through the entire thread? If you had, you would have seen the link in post #179. I'll repost it here:

https://www.brightworkresearch.com/e...ndian-workers/

There is a lot of fraud in the H1-B visa program with Indians filing fraudulent applications and claiming skills they don't have. H1-Bs tend to range from mediocre to downright incompetent.

Let them build up their own IT businesses in India if they are so talented. They can add to the existing companies.

I'll ask you this --- do you favor hiring H1-Bs instead of Americans? If so, why?

Also, are in favor of brain drain? IOW, do you think it's right to poach a second or third world country's best and brightest?
We need the talent. There's no denying that. But Indians (or anyone else) shouldn't use any form of discrimination when choosing who to hire. I don't support discrimination. Hire the best person for the job based on merit. It doesn't matter where you are from. If you are best qualified and legally able to work, you should get the job.

The H1B abuse is primarily by Indian consulting companies. This needs to be eliminated but doesn't take away from where H1Bs do work well.

We do let Indians build up IT businesses in India. Why in the world would you think that we don't?

H1Bs don't really apply to the jobs I have to hire for so it's not a problem for me in my current industry. However, in tech (my former industry), the reality is that we can't find enough good people in the US. There's lots of good people here, but not enough. There's a lot of incompetent people who think that we have enough good people, but they're too incompetent to know better.

Brain drain doesn't apply here. India isn't losing talent... they have enough people to be able to afford the few that leave.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:46 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Maybe, but those Indians aren't migrating.

Canada is only a half-step behind the U.S. as a major world economic force. The only thing Canada needs is more highly educated, trained personnel for a larger work force.
Ridiculous. If Canada needed more highly educated workers, it would produce them. Canada does not need more highly educated (or poorly educated) workers. The market has spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies