Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 12:52 AM

374 posts, read 144,946 times

Advertisements

[quote=Brave New World;57254280]Elizabeth Warren is an Indian, so can she not be persuaded to start a new life in Canada.

She's Chief of the Squawking BS Tribe.

In terms of mass immigration, I have never supported it and especially from countries with social problems, although tbh Sikhs and Hindus are not bad people.[/QUOTE

Not much chance they'll keep that old squaw-king. Once she starts yapping about canceling Canada's student loan debt, they'll boot her ass back down here.

She'll probably promise Canadians that the US will pay off their student loan debts, too--she seems to think our federal government needs to compensate just about everybody for everything.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:38 AM

20,238 posts, read 19,805,952 times
Quote:
newdixiegirl;57369528]I see where I you're going with this.

You "know where I'm going?" Okay.

Quote:
Beautiful cities like London, Paris, Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Edinburgh, Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Calgary, Sydney, Melbourne, and Auckland are very liberal cities, too.
I agree but that has nothing to do with the post I responded to.

Quote:
So, what's your point?
My point was aimed at this rather juvenile assertion by chopchop0, "Yet the average success of Indians in this country would put maga voters, many of whom are without a high school degree, to shame".

There are no shortage of high school dropouts who reliably vote blue.

I'll also add that when the subject comes up it's blue voters who push for allowing convicted felons to vote.

Go figure.

Quote:
As for Michigan and Indiana? They are, for all intents and purposes, red. Totally.
Yes they are. Depending on the sources IN has 88% with a HS diploma, MI 90%.

Hopefully chopchop0 can up his game a little if he wants to play here.

Quote:
And there are plenty of Trump supporters in CA, NJ, MD, and IL. If you look by county, it's clear that most "blue" states are full of Trump supporters. The US is, ultimately, a sea of red with speckles of blue. It should really just be a one-party country, actually.
I can only speak for NJ and I can assure you the counties that went for Trump were nowhere near the bottom of the barrel with regards to educational attainment.

As far as a one party country. Lord no, never.

I like the current system of local, county, state and federal that we have, warts, imperfections and all.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:42 AM

20,238 posts, read 19,805,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Maybe, but those Indians aren't migrating........ Canada is getting the cream of the crop.
And that's the policy the US should take with regards to legal immigration.

It's not easy to move to Canada.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:16 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,486,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Do you know some Indians want to be US citizens just because they want a US passport? I've had one Indian say that to me. One should immigrate to another country because s/he wants to embrace it and contribute to it. IOW, they need to fully invest in it for better or for worse.

And please tell us how 'just' a US passport going to make any difference? This makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:43 AM

76,997 posts, read 47,331,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's actually fairly common among the good talent. They work at a company for 2 years, get their vested RSUs and take 10-12 months off. The compensations are so high in IT (with the exception of the low skilled workers the other poster mentioned), that many people don't constantly work. IT is a different world. After a few years, you're a millionaire... well not really because of taxes.. but 5-6 years in... you def are.
Not saying this never happens, but in 25+ years in the field I have yet to see anyone being in the habit of working 2 years and then taking 10-12 months off. Most people simply do not live that way.

As for the H1Bs, we have ended up at a point where too many companies are too dependent on them, so any change would have to take place over a long period of time. So far I have not seen any change happen since Trump was elected. The company I work with (their office is in Dallas) has 95% of the workforce from India, and they are a very talented & knowledgeable group of people. The quality of work is the best I have seen anywhere, but Indian way of doing things is beyond frustrating, and backbiting is the norm. They have mentioned they dont hire H1Bs, and yet more Indians are coming in the door, so I wonder if another avenue has been opened for them. They also say that they can't find people to hire, and move work overseas.

Any overreaction in the field will cause US companies to shift jobs overseas, and that would only make matters worse. The other problem with US graduates is the fact that they have been taught new technologies, so how do you replace H1Bs who maintain old code like Cobol and RPG? Such skills are hard to find, because even the US people who master such languages want to move away from them, because there isnt much demand for them.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-19-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 06:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,127,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I like that companies are inclusive... but I've never heard of a company that had holiday parties stop... and then start celebrating Diwali. The two holidays are close enough to eachother, you can just add Diwali to the holiday party.
This has been the trend in north Texas for quite some time...and I've never seen Diwali rolled into any generic "holiday" celebration in winter. The "holiday" parties that used to happen in December no longer do at any company I've worked at in the last ten years. At the same time, every single one of those companies has held a company-wide Diwali celebration that is prominently shared on various social media platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's not a good match. Americans should get the benefit of the relatively high-functioning society we created. We have enough Americans to fill all the STEM jobs with no immigration at all. People like you, however, insist on distorting the market to lower wages and steer the natives away from the jobs you want to give to foreign scab labor.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
If you think that experience translates to competency, you're not in the best position to participate in this conversation. H1Bs range from top talent to incompetent. The incompetent ones are in low skilled jobs. We don't need them here. If the job is helpdesk, networking, IT repair, QA, .NET, MS SQL, or any other low-skilled job where there are plenty of Americans, we don't need H1Bs. But not every jobs is a low skilled job and we have a shortage of high skilled candidates.
Since when is the ability to architect and code a high-performing OLTP or OLAP database on SQL Server considered "low skill"?

Old 02-19-2020, 07:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,389,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Then pay the market rate, and you will have enough competent Americans and Canadians.
Therin lies the rub - the U.S. has become addicted to cheap labour and cannot fathom why, when they can get their tires rotated, roofs replaced, lawns cut and pools cleaned for peanuts, they cannot hire a similarly desperate bunch to develop their new software platforms or design new infrastructure.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,127,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Therin lies the rub - the U.S. has become addicted to cheap labour and cannot fathom why, when they can get their tires rotated, roofs replaced, lawns cut and pools cleaned for peanuts, they cannot hire a similarly desperate bunch to develop their new software platforms or design new infrastructure.
People need to learn how to do some things for themselves. Cutting grass isn't rocket science. Neither is cleaning a pool.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,389,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
People need to learn how to do some things for themselves. Cutting grass isn't rocket science. Neither is cleaning a pool.
That was not, and does not address the point being made.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,799,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I agree. But this thread is about immigration to Canada, BruSan, not to the US (though many US posters have turned it into a thread about the US).

Canada brings in a ton of immigrants for largely the same reason: a source of cheap(er) labor. Canada's liberal immigration policy isn't entirely for altruistic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies