Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2020, 06:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought this was interesting. But it makes me wonder: is this causing a brain drain in India? Canada has been really ramping up the quotas. And from what I hear, enormous amounts of Chinese are coming in annually from Hong Kong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...hing-rate/amp/
China has a pretty much endless supply of brainpower to draw from. But yes, it's reasonable to talk about brain drain in India where, despite the huge overall population, the high IQ fraction is relatively small. And of course this is even more true for Africa.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:42 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought this was interesting. But it makes me wonder: is this causing a brain drain in India? Canada has been really ramping up the quotas. And from what I hear, enormous amounts of Chinese are coming in annually from Hong Kong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuarta...hing-rate/amp/
Chinese immigration is always been a thing. The Chinese folks love them some VAncouver/Toronto real estate.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:45 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We live near the Canadian border. They come down to shop at our Costco. They would come into the stores to buy up all the milk to bring home. The milk would sit on pallets and would be gone before it was moved to the coolers. Each kid old enough to push a cart would fill theirs along with parents. They also would plug up the gas lines buying fuel in cans to bring home in their mini vans.
THis is ridiculous because when you add the cost of gas, the exchange rate --- it isn't such a deal. I too lived about an hour from the border.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:50 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that those displaced Americans don't give a crap about 'benefits package.' The job at this point is the benefit.

There is no such thing as cheap H1-B. Employers are required by law to pay the prevailing rate. Companies started this because they didn't want to be the goats left at the gate while everyone else H-1B'd up, with the thought being Indians were exotic enough to be considered smarter.

So all these Indians are making just as much as you were, in your own cities, except they're the ones with the paycheck.
Then why do employers use companies like Tata in order to get H1-Bs? If H1-Bs are making the same amount of money as Americans, then why go to the trouble to replace them with H1-Bs? I call BS on the idea that all H-1Bs are making the same salary as Americans.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:34 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Then why do employers use companies like Tata in order to get H1-Bs? If H1-Bs are making the same amount of money as Americans, then why go to the trouble to replace them with H1-Bs? I call BS on the idea that all H-1Bs are making the same salary as Americans.
They are. They actually are making the same wages as Americans. It's the law:
"Employers must attest to the Department of Labor that they will pay wages to the H-1B nonimmigrant workers that are at least equal to the actual wage paid by the employer to other workers with similar experience and qualifications for the job in question, or the prevailing wage for the occupation in the area of intended employment – whichever is greater."

www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/immigration/h1b
That's the reality. It's sick, but companies are bringing them over and paying out the same wages that subsequently displaced Americans were making.

Talk to your Congressman if you disagree it should be happening.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:40 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What Are you the same poster who said they swarm the sample stands and eat everything in sight?
No, it wasn’t me because I have never seen that. But, the milk grabbing is true. They swarm the pallets with milk and push/shove like it is Black Friday at Walmart. I have no idea why they buy milk in such large quantities but guesses have been to resell in British Columbia at convenient stores. We have since not renewed our membership so I don’t know if this still is occurring.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:45 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
THis is ridiculous because when you add the cost of gas, the exchange rate --- it isn't such a deal. I too lived about an hour from the border.
I don't doubt the poster, but it would help if he or she told us where they were on the Canadian border. For example, I have no doubt that Bellingham, WA, sees many Canadians shopping; as I'm sure Detroit or Sault Ste. Marie do. Heck, it's likely that Buffalo, NY, is a popular shopping destination for Canadians in Fort Erie, St. Catherine's, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and so on.

But perhaps not Torontonians, since Buffalo is a two-hour-plus car trip for them (four-plus hours round trip). I myself live about an hour from the border, but it's a three-hour trip (six hours round trip) from my location to a Montana city that has a Walmart, a Costco, and so on. The cost of gas to go that distance, plus the currency exchange rate, plus possible taxes and duties at the border on my return to Canada, means that any savings that might be realized by shopping in the US, are eaten up in other ways.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It is true. Our local paper published an article about the situation. They come down from British Columbia which has a large population of Indians. They buy their gas here because it is much cheaper on this side of the border. Also, their milk is more expensive because it hasn’t the price supports dairy has in the US. So, no it is not ridiculous nor is it made up.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The stupidly bogus number you cite can seem impressive only if you compare it to the "immigrants'" share of the total. Why would 75% be impressive if in fact 99% of those at these universities are "immigrants"?

Looking back at it, I see that the article's jumbled presentation doesn't limit the people in question to students, but it does engage in the standard lie: saying that if there are 50 names on the patent, and one is an immigrant, the non-immigrants do not exist. The patent is solely due to the "immigrant". The page you cite is sophomoric propaganda.
Other sources publish the same information,

According to the CATO Institute (a libertarian/republican group),

"Highly skilled immigrants contribute mightily to innovation in the United States, especially through patents. In 2006, immigrants were roughly 12 percent of the U.S. population, but 24 percent of international patent applications from the United States had at least one non‐​citizen inventor. The real rate is even higher since those statistics don’t include immigrants who became U.S. citizens."

"An increased number of immigrants working in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) occupations can explain between one‐​third and one‐​half of average productivity growth between 1990 and 2010. That translates into higher wages for almost all Americans."

"Between 1995 and 2005, 25.3 percent of all technology and engineering firms established in the United States had at least one immigrant founder or cofounder."

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...ber-h-1b-visas

According to Forbes,

Immigrants are responsible for "between 30 and 50 percent of the aggregate productivity growth that took place in the United States between 1990 and 2010."

There is "a significant increase in innovation—in fields entered by immigrants, there is a 30% increase in patents by domestic inventors.... One of the mechanisms at play is that American inventors come into contact with new sets of ideas and methods that they then use for their own work."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/washing.../#312d9eb85f5c

Forbes also states "Immigrant entrepreneurs create 25% of new (US) companies."

"Immigrants contribute to the innovation of larger companies, accounting for roughly a quarter of US patent filings. These contributions are reshaping US invention in dramatic ways."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbswork.../#72d233281935

According to Business Insider,

"Immigrants secure patents at double the native rate, and more than half of startups in Silicon Valley were founded by foreign-born entrepreneurs."

Immigrants and the American startup boom - Business Insider

Last edited by chad3; 02-05-2020 at 12:33 AM..

Old 02-05-2020, 07:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I don't doubt the poster, but it would help if he or she told us where they were on the Canadian border. For example, I have no doubt that Bellingham, WA, sees many Canadians shopping; as I'm sure Detroit or Sault Ste. Marie do. Heck, it's likely that Buffalo, NY, is a popular shopping destination for Canadians in Fort Erie, St. Catherine's, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and so on.

I don't doubt that poster, either, though I might have inadvertently implied that I did.

There are Canadians who, when they shop in the US, behave how the poster upthread describes. My cousins in Buffalo have mentioned their experiences, and I would feel the same way they or that poster feels if I witnessed the same kind of stuff.

Having said that, I saw lots of Canadian shoppers when I lived in Metro Detroit, but can't say I ever noticed annoying ones.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 02-05-2020 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies