Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 05:13 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times

Advertisements

For discussion. Probably predictable. The base will call it lies, and the anti-Trumpers will say it's true. Still, an interesting read (I'm only part-way through it, but read enough to post for discussion).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ufrV-S-foFG18M

Here's a rhetorical question for ALL SIDES: Anymore, how do we know what's truth, and what's a lie. I know what I believe, but fact is both sides are claiming the other is lying. I get it, if I'm a gullible Trumper, then I see something like this, and think it's propaganda. Those that are far gone on the hard left get their misinformation too. How do we get through to the fringe on all sides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:20 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Both sides often quote things that are demonstrably false.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:29 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
When Trump launched his campaign I read an article about how the whole idea behind his constant lies is to get us to the point where nobody knew or cared what was true and what wasn't.

It's Russian Disinformation 101.

While some people will continue to look for the truth, and others will believe any lies that coincide with what they believe, most will just throw up their hands at some point, it becomes overwhelming.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:32 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
The Trump campaign can spend their billion dollars.

Nobody is going to change their minds by anything said or done by either candidate or party.

Anybody who is undecided today has no business in the voting booth.

It will be a turn out election.

But it is interesting that Trump's acolytes messed in the democratic caucuses. It has already started. With friends like that who needs Russian interference?

Old 02-07-2020, 05:34 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
When Trump launched his campaign I read an article about how the whole idea behind his constant lies is to get us to the point where nobody knew or cared what was true and what wasn't.

It's Russian Disinformation 101.

While some people will continue to look for the truth, and others will believe any lies that coincide with what they believe, most will just throw up their hands at some point, it becomes overwhelming.
Or, how do we get through to the people who believe that Trump called neo-Nazis "very fine people"? That lie has been repeated so much that the fringe on the left actually thinks it's true.

Or, even more dangerous, what about the people who believed Schiff and Nadler when they say Trump considers himself a dictator or a king? The fringe believes that too.

Scary times when people actually believe such nonsense.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Both sides often quote things that are demonstrably false.
I 100% agree with this comment, but the article shows how his disinformation has (falsely) demonized and among his base, has delegitimized the legitimate press. It demonstrates some of the tactics they used to do it.

You'll never hear me say that (any) press is unbiased. But they are spreading deliberate lies, and it works, so his entire base thinks the NYT is not reliable (one example given in the story talks about the NYT busting Dems for misinformation, but they are blind to stories like that).

I don't say Dems tell truth, nor do I say either party has our best interest. But I do say that Trump follows a path of deliberate misinformation that is unmatched in current day US Politics. He does it strategically, and it's effective enough that his base is armed with faux-confidence in their so-called truth that it's going to be very difficult to combat. And in this battle, I fear that any ethics will only be a handicap.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:35 AM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The Trump campaign can spend their billion dollars.

Nobody is going to change their minds by anything said or done by either candidate or party.

Anybody who is undecided today has no business in the voting booth.

It will be a turn out election.

But it is interesting that Trump's acolytes messed in the democratic caucuses. It has already started. With friends like that who needs Russian interference?
There’s an app for that. It’s just too bad it’s from the same party that gave America health insurance ‘marketplace’ web sites that cost $trillion to build and didn’t work either.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:36 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
I suspect most Trump supporters know that what they are clapping for, chanting about, and spreading around are lies. They just don't care.

While some may be gullible enough or dimwitted enough to believe that Mexico will be paying for Trump's wall, or Clinton will be locked up, most know that these are lies. Yet they cheer and chant anyway.

Most, if not all, Republican Senators know that Trump is guilty of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The evidence was right in front of their eyes. Some even acknowledge that he is did both. but they just don't care.

I think Melania nailed it with her "I don't care. Do you?" jacket.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Or, how do we get through to the people who believe that Trump called neo-Nazis "very fine people"? That lie has been repeated so much that the fringe on the left actually thinks it's true.

Or, even more dangerous, what about the people who believed Schiff and Nadler when they say Trump considers himself a dictator or a king? The fringe believes that too.

Scary times when people actually believe such nonsense.
Except he did say there were "very fine people" on both sides of that debate. One side was organized by Neo-Nazis and the people who followed them.

And while it may be an opinion that Trump considers himself a dictator, the evidence is enough to make it reasonble. Trump himself says he's POTUS and can do what he wants. And the very basis of this impeachment was that he subverted US Policy and did things that hurt our country for personal gain. That people think that is a lie is actually supported in this story.

THE PEOPLE WHO NEED TO UNDERSTAND IT THE MOST WILL NOT BE CAPABLE, BECAUSE THE STORY IS TRUE~

Old 02-07-2020, 05:41 AM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Both sides lie, but only 1 side's getting results right now. The State of the Union made that crystal clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies