Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 01:56 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,394,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Before you start imagining a landslide, keep in mind that Hillary had 2% MORE of the vote.
That 2% didnt mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 01:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 413,401 times
The electoral college did what they did. It was not the will of the people. The will of the people did not want Trump. We knew better. He lost by popular vote. You can call that petty or whatever you like. An entire country voted against him.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:08 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
Quote:
Before you start imagining a landslide, keep in mind that Hillary had 2% MORE of the vote.
She had more of the popular vote. The presidential race is determined by the states, via the Electoral College.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,061,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
The electoral college did what they did. It was not the will of the people. The will of the people did not want Trump. We knew better. He lost by popular vote. You can call that petty or whatever you like. An entire country voted against him.
Yes, but the states that actually matter voted for Trump, and rejected Hillary, and Obama's legacy.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM

2,923 posts, read 971,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I ask you, Are they stupid because they're liberals, or they liberals because they're stupid?
the latter

Old 02-07-2020, 02:21 PM

2,923 posts, read 971,127 times
I may get banned for this but I have to say it - IF YOU ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE POPULAR VOTE YOU ARE AN IDIOT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!!!!

THE POPULAR VOTE DOES NOT ELECT THE PRESIDENT. PERIOD.

If you have a problem with that, leave. That isn't the way it works here.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:35 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I may get banned for this but I have to say it - IF YOU ARE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE POPULAR VOTE YOU ARE AN IDIOT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!!!!

THE POPULAR VOTE DOES NOT ELECT THE PRESIDENT. PERIOD.

If you have a problem with that, leave. That isn't the way it works here.
I have a co-worker that is not from here, he's a legal citizen though. All he does is moan and whine about the EC voting system. I have wanted on more than one occasion tell him that if you don't like it, go back home where the system is the way you prefer it. Don't come here and complain about how it's different from your home country.

I would never do this, go to another country and start bitching and whining about how this sucks or that sucks, I might think it, but I wouldn't complain to a native person how I think their system sucks, blah blah blah.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,692,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
a lesson in Government....That crap don't mean squat! ANd it won't me squat again this Fall!

Old 02-07-2020, 04:43 PM

6,061 posts, read 1,993,426 times
Quote:
This is a good thing to remember because often we only think of the present, but not the precedent.

Unfortunately, I fear we're already headed toward this when so many people these days don't trust the traditional news sources.

It’s the Constitution, Stupid
To forgo impeachment would be tantamount to saying that our president is now a king

By Thomas Friedman

If we say, as Republicans do, that what Trump did is not an impeachable offense, we are telling ourselves and every future president — in direct contradiction of what the founders wrote in the Constitution — that it is OK to enlist a foreign power to tilt the election your way. Can you imagine how much money candidates could raise from Saudi Arabia or China to tilt a future election their way, or how many cyberwarriors they could enlist from Russia or Iran to create fake news, suppress voting or spur outrage?

The integrity of our elections would be shattered, and we would never again have a legitimate president — a president, who, whether or not you liked him or her, was at least seen as legitimately elected. That would be a prescription for permanent political chaos, as no future presidents’ authority would be respected if they were elected on the basis of foreign interference.

https://www.registerguard.com/opinio...itution-stupid

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/t...rica-1.4113326
Once again, this is the 'begging the question' logical fallacy. You assume that which is to be proven, namely that Trump intended to "enlist a foreign power to tilt the election." Cite the proof from the (so-called) transcript of the July 25 phone call. You can't do it. You can't show intent.

I was a union rep for years and had to defend accused employees when the company tried to fire them. If they were clearly guilty as charged, we would not fight. But this case would have been laughed out in the initial grievance meeting. No evidence....

Old 02-14-2020, 08:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,115,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I'm not necessarily talking about any specific person, just the idea that refusal to remove a president who broke no laws all of a sudden means the US has a king is beyond stupid. It would be hard for me to believe that a rational and thinking human with a fully functional brain would come up with that.

I could see it if someone was just producing political propaganda aimed at low information groups of partisans, but not a legitimate position someone would honestly take.
First, he was already clearly guilty of a variety of things, such as violating the emoluments clause.

But, apart from that, impeachment was intended to cover anything that made a president unfit, whether criminal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Because that's not how this country is supposed to work. YOU are exactly the problem with the them vs us mentality.
tRump, really? Are you 10? Type like an adult.
I have to agree with you on both counts - that both parties are theoretically supposed to work together, and that it's stupidly childish to indulge in these slurs.

But did you feel the same way when Republicans had vowed to block Obama at every turn? Did you declare them to be wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies