Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 11:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I have always stated the governments (which includes presidents) set the economic environment, and we do the work. The economic environment that Obama set did not help many black folks. That's why Clinton lost... many black folk sat out because the economy did not benefit them. That is not the case now as unemployment is down and labor participation is up for all races.

I'm actually not a partisan as you think. I believe in what Trump is doing and support it for the most part. I'm sorry the Democrats have lost their minds, but that's not my problem.

Unlike you, that believe groups of people should behave like herds of cattle and be a block of voters, I believe in the individual doing what they want to do. So no - I don't believe black folks should collectively be Republicans. I actually don't care about being a Republican. I do believe in common sense. And if someone is throwing out a lifeline, you take it and show a little gratitude.
The economic environment, structure, remains 99% the same regardless of what government is in office. Nobody is throwing out a lifeline. What lifeline are you talking about? Statistics on unemployment? Man you tripin - tripin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 11:56 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The economic environment, structure, remains 99% the same regardless of what government is in office.
That is absolutely untrue.

Obama put forth a ton of regulations that made the foundation for operating a business unstable and full of sludge and expensive.

Trump has cut a bunch of regulations that made running a business much simpler and cheaper.

Quote:
Nobody is throwing out a lifeline. What lifeline are you talking about? Statistics on unemployment? Man you tripin - tripin.
Van Jones said Trump threw out a lifeline to HBCUs. That was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That is absolutely untrue.

Obama put forth a ton of regulations that made the foundation for operating a business unstable and full of sludge and expensive.

Trump has cut a bunch of regulations that made running a business much simpler and cheaper.

Van Jones said Trump threw out a lifeline to HBCUs. That was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Most of what YOU are today, I dare say 99%, is the result of things that happened in your past, not things that happen in your present....or things that happened in the last few years of your life. We have a 21 trillion dollar economy (GDP). How it got to that size and the ingredients took decades...hell....centuries. Regulations do not radically alter the economy.....because they would never get passed if they did. Every president and party knows what behaviors will hurt the economy.....because survival and perpetuation of party control is the first order of political survival. If the economy tanks because of your policy.....you have just killed the party. No president or party will sabotage the economy. It's whether you define the economy by the WORKERS.....or the OWNERS. Democrats try to put more money into the pocket of workers while republicans try to put more money into the pocket of owners. Both are needed parts of the economy and hence its not a radical change in the economy, but shifting where monies goes in the economy. Its either going to pool into the hands of workers or going to pool into the hands of rich owners (the 1%).

Old 02-05-2020, 12:19 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Is this the same Van Jones from the Barack Hussein Obama administration

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...roversy-026797
Of what relevance is Obama's middle name ?

No need to answer. It's a rhetorical question. It's obvious why you think it is relevant.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:19 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Actually he was warning democrats —red alarm flag —-Trump is actually DOING many things that are improving the lives of blacks, and democrats aren’t doing anything.

Trump funded and aided many failing Black colleges
Trump has created “Opportunity zones” in poor black communities giving tax incentives for businesses to creat jobs and to train for them.
Trump is pushing for school choice to give blacks better education choices — Dems against this because of teachers union big donors.
Trump has created the lowest unemployment for Blacks in our history
Trump created and passed the prison reform bill focused on getting non violent blacks out of prison
Trump cracking down on illegals taking jobs from blacks
Etc etc etc

I hope moderate and independent blacks get a chance to really see the truth of what is being accomplished for them.
Name one thing the democrats have done lately to help blacks.....
1. I’m “black” and didn’t attend an HBCU. I attended an elite school. So that has nothing to do with me.
2. I live in a mixed, middle class community.
3. Where I live, the schools are better than most across the nation.
4. Trump has nothing to do with my employment. I’m actually transitioning now but my jobs have come from connections that I made.
5. I don’t have a criminal record. Nothing to do with me.
6. No illegal can take my job. You have to be highly educated to compete.

So sorry but none of what you have mentioned affects me as a “black” person.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
1. I’m “black” and didn’t attend an HBCU. I attended an elite school. So that has nothing to do with me.
4. Trump has nothing to do with my employment. I’m actually transitioning now but my jobs have come from connections that I made.

I echo your 1-6 above... except I didn't go to an "elite" school, but not an HBCU either.

Many black folk can't echo what we have and need any advantage that can be sent their way... which includes a decrease in regulation to free up company resources to hire more people... or making better trade deals that being jobs back to the U.S. ... or fostering energy independence where we become energy exporters which leads to an increase of jobs.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Most of what YOU are today, I dare say 99%, is the result of things that happened in your past, not things that happen in your present....or things that happened in the last few years of your life. We have a 21 trillion dollar economy (GDP). How it got to that size and the ingredients took decades...hell....centuries. Regulations do not radically alter the economy.....because they would never get passed if they did. Every president and party knows what behaviors will hurt the economy.....because survival and perpetuation of party control is the first order of political survival. If the economy tanks because of your policy.....you have just killed the party. No president or party will sabotage the economy. It's whether you define the economy by the WORKERS.....or the OWNERS. Democrats try to put more money into the pocket of workers while republicans try to put more money into the pocket of owners. Both are needed parts of the economy and hence its not a radical change in the economy, but shifting where monies goes in the economy. Its either going to pool into the hands of workers or going to pool into the hands of rich owners (the 1%).
I understand that the economy does not radically change under normal circumstances... the changes are usually percentage points. However, those percentage points are magnified by both sides to make it seem larger that what it is.

What Trump has done is beyond normal (relatively speaking) with the cut in regulations, and the trade deals, and the energy independence. The results bear witness to the changes he has made.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:51 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post

Congratulations you are fortunate and successful.
But millions of other blacks aren’t and these are programs are for THEM.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:05 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
A President from the Right ended Slavery. You must know that given your C-D identity name.

The Right also voted (as a %) at a higher % than Dems for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The KKK was originated by Dems.

The founder of Planned Parenthood believed in "Eugenics", which is the practice of using abortion to control populations of undesireables.

The left has worked for many years to re-write history so that these facts would become lost.

Blacks know these facts, and their distrust of the Left is growing. The Left hasn't delivered for them. They make promises to get their votes, and then they do not fully deliver upon the promises, and forget about them until the next election. Blacks are tired of being played like this. They want a political party who stand with them ALL of the time, not just during elections.
You neglect to mention that the Republicans were the progressives of that era, while the Dems were the radical conservatives.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I understand that the economy does not radically change under normal circumstances... the changes are usually percentage points. However, those percentage points are magnified by both sides to make it seem larger that what it is.

What Trump has done is beyond normal (relatively speaking) with the cut in regulations, and the trade deals, and the energy independence. The results bear witness to the changes he has made.
What results? The reason that most goods get built oversees is because its cheaper to build them there and import the product back into the US. Many US companies have production oversees. They can compete on cost by having their goods produced in low labor cost markets and low regulation markets (conditions that Republicans favor in the US....low wages and low regulation to increase profit for companies). However, what is the consequences of shifting production to a higher labor cost market? The consequence is that the higher cost is passed on to the consumer. The ultimate question is what happens to the purchasing power of the dollar.....once you don't have all these products produced in low labor cost markets? Whatever gains you have made in jobs coming back to the US, you lost in overall purchasing power as a result of more expensive goods.

Most things are a trade-off. You increase jobs at the expense of increasing inflation, lest you pay the workers in the US the wages they make in China of Vietnam. We all know that the Republicans don't like minimum wages and that they want to improve the bottom line of companies by reducing wages, regulation, taxes they pay and the like. What is the long term consequence of that behavior? Workers, making less or paying more for goods and services, more dangerous working environments, more dangerous, more pollution, poorer schools and infrastructure because corporations given tax breaks and are not paying enough taxes to help support the city in which they reside, etc.

Here is what I would like you to consider. Consider that "growth" can be an illusion of getting the benefit of something before you pay the cost for it. Hence, an "act" or policy may not manifest is cost or "reaction" until later down the line, while the benefit comes immediately. Be careful what you herald as "things that work" because often that is just an illusion created by the getting the benefit before paying the full cost. Its like the guy in the neighborhood with the nice boat, nice car, nice house, who takes nice vacations, always eating out. You figure he must be doing something right. Couple of years down the road and the house is up for foreclosure, the boat has been repossessed, he is now driving an old beater..etc. He got to enjoy the benefit of CREDIT, before having to pay the full cost of the credit.....which he could not.

Things are not always what the seem. Nobody should be influenced by the current economy to think "What Trump is doing is working". There is nothing to prove that. Its possible that the economy would have continued its own momentum to this point without any policy changes or change in presidents. Its possible that it could be influenced by recent policy......but the consequences have not be absorbed or paid yet. There is not enough information to make an intelligent person say "I am going to vote differently" because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies