Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it worth it?
Hell YES it was worth it! 15 15.46%
Hell NO what a waste of our tax dollars! 46 47.42%
Choose one of the first two, then add one of the following. It helped the Dems. 1 1.03%
It helped the Pubs. 41 42.27%
It helped nobody. 19 19.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 09:32 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am not an independent, so I will not vote, but it was an awful moment for her and her caucus. It reverses the narrative that she gets under his skin, and shows that she now knows that she is losing.
it would be hilarious if she ends up getting a censure out of this debacle.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status...97674121162758

Lawmakers File Ethics Complaint, Resolution Condemning Pelosi For Ripping Up Speech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Dems were after Trump from the start. Dems pretended to follow the law on a witch hunt.
This was followed by the GOP pretending to look at the charges before acquitting.

Dems were sure to make something up.
Trump could perform an Aztec sacrifice on the WH lawn in front of TV cameras and the GOP would still acquit.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:37 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm a spy and I am sure there are other spies like me out there. We get our information wherever we can find it. I get a kick out of using Greenpeace, who I certainly have no love for, sometimes for the data I need.

In any event, I'd rather for the government to be "open" than to encourage them to be closed.
The government is open. Congressional Record exists and nobody knows about it and if they do, they never even glance at it, and that's my point.

You're saying that without an annual summary campaign speech by the President, the citizen would be clueless about their government's goings on. And the fact is that every last word spoken outside of closed door, classified hearings/committees is written down and published in Congressional Record. Every...single...day. Every bill introduced you can see the full text, every legislative action, every vote, every discussion, etc. Totally free, just open a browser and start clicking.

If a citizen wanted to know detailed, minute, exact specifics of their government, they are a dozen or so mouse clicks and 10 minutes of reading away. That's how open this whole thing is. And NOBODY CARES. That's why things like "1 in 5 women will be raped in college" become accepted narratives. A politician making that statement knows for a fact that maybe 1 person in 100,000 will fact check that statement, and even if they try to tell the truth, the politician can count on the other 99,999 telling the pesky fact checker to shut up or just disbelieving because of consensus and confirmation bias.

And a one hour, annual campaign speech will fix all that? You can take the most intentionally and willfully ignorant society in the history of civilization and make them "informed" with a theatrical campaign rally on the floor of the US House once a year?

Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,042 times
Even though this is just a small slice poll in a forum I think it probably represents how most Americans see this whole horse and pony show.

Whether you believe it was worth it or not, everyone seems to agree that it either helped nobody or just the Pubs. It was suicide for the Dems just as impeaching Clinton was suicide for the Pubs. While one actually committed crimes the result seems to be identical.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why do you always go on the personal attack?

Geez.

Commenting on a poster's political positions seems like the opposite of a personal attack. No?

Old 02-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's exactly in the same tone that Trump has set.

His fans love divisive, mean spirited, insulting behavior. He got it back at him. How appalling!!!!

Oh the feigned outrage. I prefer decorum and civility. Pelosi didn't set the tone we are experiencing.

Trump gave Rush Limbaugh a medal of freedom. What "independent" thinks that is a good thing?

I think a lot of the "independents" here are "independent" because the don't think the GOP is right wing enough.
This independent - who voted for Trump in '16 - thinks the medal award for Rush was beyond ridiculous.

I'm sorry he has cancer and I wish him a full and speedy recovery, but c'mon.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Which is why I won't vote for Trump. That said just because he is an idiot does n to excuse the Speaker.

The excuse but so and so does it? What parent accepts that excuse from their own children?

Reagan said it best. "It's ok to disagree as long as we are civil about it." Or something close to that.

Pelosi is a damned good example of why we need term limits. So is Waters, Rangel, Jackson Lee, McConnell, Graham. They are all in love with their position.

We have not seen civility in decades and that is why we are 22 trillion in debt and divided.
That is 100% accurate and true. Pelosi's behavior was petty and childish. Inexcusable and unprofessional.

Trump was no better, but that doesn't justify how Pelosi behaved. If she had been a grown up, we could simply been discussing Trump's bad behavior now instead of both of theirs.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I thought her ripping up the speech was immature. I expect something like the from Trump, but was rather surprised she dropped to his level.

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Old 02-06-2020, 11:50 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Start a thread on that because that has nothing to do with Pelosi acting like a spoiled child.

Romney and Trump are no allies and that is a fact. There is no love lost between them.

I wanted to hear witness and I wanted more than what the kangaroo court the Dems created. I had 0 confidence in a system that didn't allow defendant witnesses or in-depth questions. I really have no faith in a bunch who 3 years ago started talking about impeachment. I have no confidence in a result that saw the goal posts moved several times to deliver a result. It can't be done that way in a civilian court. Re-charge or drop the charges.

WE routinely shake down foreign governments for favors. How can you be so naive? Iran is our enemy because we screwed with their elections and government. Half of South America hates us for the same thing.
How many wrongs make a right?

Old 02-06-2020, 08:22 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
How many wrongs make a right?
Absolutely none. That's why using Trump for an excuse for Pelosi's behavior is lame at best. We wouldn't accept such an excuse from our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies