Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 07:29 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,545,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Sure, news and politicians have a slant, but the fact that this is your response on this forum either means 1) the foreign disinformation campaign worked on you or 2) this is a bot account run out of a foreign country.
This 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 07:31 AM

39,805 posts, read 26,295,885 times
While foreign "disinformation" campaigns aimed at influencing our elections are a concern-why only are only foreign sources considered? Our own MSM promotes far more lies and works far harder to influence and manipulate public perception than the KGB (or their successor) could ever dream of. Yet lies and manipulations from those sources don't seem to be a concern. Why is that?

Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,527,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Our own news, government and politicians in general spread more disinformation than anyone else. Start focusing there.
Its a domestic problem and the greatest threat to the Republic !!! Diversity falls far short and fails when there is no diversity of thought and tolerance for it !!! The only acceptable safe space is within the borders of a country !!! Those who create pockets of safe spaces seek to divide the country within its borders !!!

Old 02-06-2020, 07:53 AM

18,512 posts, read 7,264,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...-stopped-after

"Russians are using “false personas [and] fake media accounts” online. "

“Other countries, like China for example, have very active foreign malign influence efforts in this country,”

FBI Director Christopher Wray

While many seem to believe in "Deep State" and that our county is being subverted by "insiders" with little or no evidence, the truth is "outsiders"/foreign countries continue their brainwashing of the US masses on a daily basis.

I am of the opinion that these foreign campaigns are having a profound effect on the general population. Especially those less educated and less savvy that already hold animosity toward government in general.
You are profoundly mistaken. The mainstream domestic media has 1,000 times the power of all the "foreign campaigns" put together, and it has a lower truth quotient to boot. Election interference that makes a difference comes from NBC, NYT, CNN. not from any foreign actors. As for evidence, all you need to do is compare what they say with the truth. Of course, you can't do that because you presume -- entirely without evidence -- that what they say is the truth. It's not. Their job is to shape public opinion to advance a political agenda.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,459,926 times
In 1953, the CIA spendt $millions to bribe the Iranian media to print/ report fake news with the intention of installing its own cherry- picked dictator, the last Shah of Iran.

There is a well publicized picture of some Iranian students in western attire sitting on a bench in Tehran in the late 60’s, as evidence of the freedoms that once existed in Iran. Nothing could be further from the truth. The elites (1%) did well under the corrupted Shah. The overwhelming majority of people however, lived in desperate poverty.

Using religion to rally the troops is an ancient strategy. When the revolution took hold, the Shah and the elites hopped their private planes and got the hell out of Iran.

Only took 60 years for the US to disclose the CIA’s coup.

The US has engaged in regime changes all over the world for at least 100 years.

And sometimes, over time, some of those dictators don’t obey their master.

Saddam Hussein was one of them. Over time, he became more open to quoting/ settling oil trade in currencies other than the USD. That put a target on his back, waiting for an opportunity. Fake claims of WMD was it.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 02-06-2020 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 08:09 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,148,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You are profoundly mistaken. The mainstream domestic media has 1,000 times the power of all the "foreign campaigns" put together, and it has a lower truth quotient to boot. Election interference that makes a difference comes from NBC, NYT, CNN. not from any foreign actors. As for evidence, all you need to do is compare what they say with the truth. Of course, you can't do that because you presume -- entirely without evidence -- that what they say is the truth. It's not. Their job is to shape public opinion to advance a political agenda.
Eh, not sure I agree. I can watch local news and see almost no slant. I can watch NBC/ABC/CBS nightly national news shows and see pretty much no slant. I can go on Facebook and see all my boomer relatives sharing wildly inaccurate memes about Colin Kaepernick 5 years after he knelt during a football game, or about Laquan McDonald 6 years after he was murdered. I think part of the reason most of my millennial friends avoid Facebook now is it's become a cesspool of boomers sharing memes, and the uses of facebook that we had have either gone to Instagram (pictures) or Twitter (news). Twitter's a cesspool too if you don't know how to use it properly, but people are at least well aware of it when they log on.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 AM

44,991 posts, read 26,148,796 times
Quote:
Eh, not sure I agree. I can watch local news and see almost no slant. I can watch NBC/ABC/CBS nightly national news shows and see pretty much no slant. I can go on Facebook and see all my boomer relatives sharing wildly inaccurate memes about Colin Kaepernick 5 years after he knelt during a football game, or about Laquan McDonald 6 years after he was murdered. I think part of the reason most of my millennial friends avoid Facebook now is it's become a cesspool of boomers sharing memes, and the uses of facebook that we had have either gone to Instagram (pictures) or Twitter (news). Twitter's a cesspool too if you don't know how to use it properly, but people are at least well aware of it when they log on.
So you watch the boomer corporate news outlets and dont see a slant?

Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,091,355 times
Operation Mockingbird

Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,148,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you watch the boomer corporate news outlets and dont see a slant?
I occasionally catch clips of Fox News, and there is a clear slant.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 AM

44,991 posts, read 26,148,796 times
Quote:
I occasionally catch clips of Fox News, and there is a clear slant.
Of course, but only now you single them out with no mention of the previous. Im seeing a slant here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies