Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Please listen to this. I agree with these two men.

https://youtu.be/tkKglpnKyss
I have my feelings about BLM. I support the hashtag but not the movement. If one does a bit of research, they'll see that it really is a black feminist movement that really isn't interested in black fathers.

While I do agree that blacks are killed by mostly blacks, it should not be used as a deflection when police brutality is bought up.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:50 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I have my feelings about BLM. I support the hashtag but not the movement. If one does a bit of research, they'll see that it really is a black feminist movement that really isn't interested in black fathers.

While I do agree that blacks are killed by mostly blacks, it should not be used as a deflection when police brutality is bought up.

I agree with all the above.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 AM

What do you think about movements like "Blexit" and "Walkaway"?

Do you think there's too much of a focus simply on leaving the Democratic party but not much else? Do you align yourself with either one of these?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:53 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The only time blacks are pandered to is during the primaries, after that, no one cares because they overwhelmingly vote Democrat no matter what, and are mostly located in heavy Democrat districts that will go for the Democrats anyway despite the turnout. Election after election it is like this.
Why would that change when Rs continue to be the party of white nationalism?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Why would that change when Rs continue to be the party of white nationalism?
At this point, I would say that the lines have been quite blurred at this time. You've got them on the D side as well.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:58 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
What do you think about movements like "Blexit" and "Walkaway"?

Do you think there's too much of a focus simply on leaving the Democratic party but not much else? Do you align yourself with either one of these?

They don't realize that Republicans in office at every level are working to make sure they "stay away" and never get to vote again.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:

Want to know where you get the bold?

I am a black feminist and don't consider BLM to be a black feminist movement. Black feminist actually are very interested in black fathers.

The "movement" of BLM is primarily an intersectional movement and not "black" which is why as a black feminist I don't support it. They focus more on LGBT issues than black issues. Will note, I don't think LGBT issues shouldn't be focused on but I know quite a few BLM activists in the movement and most of them are black gay men seconded by lesbians. Most of the people in my local chapter are straight black men and non-black women (white and Asian).

See their national "about" page:

Quote:
The Black Lives Matter Global Network is a chapter-based, member-led organization whose mission is to build local power and to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black ***** and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.
See the blue. They are not a feminist organization. They may ascribe to some ideas of black feminist theory/ideology; however, the basis of black feminist theory is strong black families and this includes black children and black fathers. IMO many black men just like to bash black feminism because because of a willing or true ignorance about what it really is.

It bothers me that too many black feminists today are very intersectional and focused on LGBTQ issues because that was not really a focus of black feminism historically - it was black families and opportunities for all black people and a diminishing of the desire of black men to dominate/oppress black women. Spreading the focus to other people means that other people's issues take the forefront and IMO BLM is one of those movements that do the latter. They focus a lot on the intra-community conflict of black people against each other and primarily seem to want to argue instead of compromise of work on fixing specific issues (and IMO this would include issues that many black people have against black LGBT persons as I do think that that is something that needs to decrease).

Old 02-25-2020, 12:15 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is why more Black people should think about how environmental issues could impact them. The pollution and environmental issues in many inner city areas, and some smaller towns, it's a big factor in illness, rates of cancer, and shortened life expectancies for Black Americans.

Poor Black neighborhoods have the highest cancer risks. This out of St. Louis.
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...hoods#stream/0

Old 02-25-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is why more Black people should think about how environmental issues could impact them. The pollution and environmental issues in many inner city areas, and some smaller towns, it's a big factor in illness, rates of cancer, and shortened life expectancies for Black Americans.

Poor Black neighborhoods have the highest cancer risks. This out of St. Louis.
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...hoods#stream/0
Lately I've been reading about clean energy, water pollution, and the like. As someone who drives a vehicle, I can't be totally opposed to chemical industry. At the same time though, I do wish the metropolitan area that I'm currently in would take a more balanced approach to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies