Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times

Advertisements

My Grandma also used a cart, like Rachel976's did up till she was 90. It wasn't the safest thing. She was mugged a few times. But she insisted on being independent. And I know she got Meals on Wheels for a few years before she died. That is one of the programs Trump's budget wants to cut. Seniors are going to be hurting more now. While his budget proposal will not go through, it is a real indicator of where his head is at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 08:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My grandma lived .7 mile (I tracked it) from the grocery store, and would bring her food back with her cart - all the way up to age 90.
Your Grandma was an adult. Good for her.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
My Grandma also used a cart, like Rachel976's did up till she was 90. It wasn't the safest thing. She was mugged a few times. But she insisted on being independent. And I know she got Meals on Wheels for a few years before she died. That is one of the programs Trump's budget wants to cut. Seniors are going to be hurting more now. While his budget proposal will not go through, it is a real indicator of where his head is at.
The Feds should cut all funding to meals on wheels. Why can't your local government fund meals on wheels? Can't they solve their own problems?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My grandma lived .7 mile (I tracked it) from the grocery store, and would bring her food back with her cart - all the way up to age 90.
Was she also barefoot and in the snow?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The Feds should cut all funding to meals on wheels. Why can't your local government fund meals on wheels? Can't they solve their own problems?
I really don't know. I do hope it continues in one form or another. There are a lot of seniors that depend on it.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I haven’t seen anyone on the Upper West Side of Manhattan wearing a barrel today. Therefore, poverty does not exist.
It's bad form to wear barrels during the fall and winter. It's like wearing white.

btw Who said poverty doesn't exist? I haven't read a post that said that. Granted I haven't read them all but I know for a FACT the OP never said "poverty doesn't exist".

Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Is your state of Texas going to pay for Meals on Wheels?

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
I wonder if you care about the facts and the truth?

It's not the only available option and it's dishonest to say otherwise.

Yet we know for a fact that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck; 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.

Again, It's not the only available option and it's dishonest to say otherwise.

Except you made this all up. Again we know for a fact that nearly three-quarters of the poor have a car or truck and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks. We also know that neighbors help out neighbors and say things like "I'm going to the store, do you want to go?"

Yet we know for a fact that
Ninety-six percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.

Some 83 percent of poor families reported that they had enough food to eat.

Some 82 percent of poor adults reported that they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money to buy food.

How about you quit creating drama where none exists and do some actual research?

More fake drama plus you and a plethora of others are making things up about what the OP said because you don't care about the truth and live in a world of fake drama.

here is what the OP said in their very short post. "poverty and doomsday scenarios that the Democrat candidates describe."

Nothing to do with their is no poverty and everything to do with outing the fake drama that the left and YOU use because you don't care about the truth and you treat adults like children.

It's about the fake scenarios and fake drama the left uses in order to keep their kept children who vote for them reliant on government because they weren't raised well enough and aren't adult enough to do the proper things in life. But why work when government will pay one not too? Kept children. Pathetic.
Nope, I actually know people in this situation personally. Nearly three-quarters of poor people have cars, I'll take your word for it... but that means that over a quarter do not. Those who don't have cars likely overwhelmingly live in cities simply because it would be a lot harder to be poor and car-less in the middle of nowhere. I posted links; I'm not sure why you think I'd be making any of this up...

Why do you think that people were not hungry? It's because they can depend on safety nets! If those safety nets were taken away, more people would be hungry. That's why we have them.

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
The premise of the thread is so ridiculous that I won’t even waste my time.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I really don't know. I do hope it continues in one form or another. There are a lot of seniors that depend on it.
Isn't that the problem though? Saying I don't know. Not trying to be mean (this time anyway) Why in the world would anyone thing someone in Washington DC has their hand on the pulse of the people where you live? That they know better as far as who to take care off and how much to spend. When Meals on Wheels is using volunteers and donations, it's a beautiful thing.
I hope the locals where you live pick up the slack if the Feds cut programs. That's who should have the authority anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies