Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 12:23 AM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times

Advertisements

[quote=ddeemo;57309360]According to stats - under Trump the middle class income has gone up around $4k and taxes have gone down about $2k compared to growth of about $1k under Obama according to CBS news data. The poorest quintile has seen wages go up more than any other group according to the federal reserve.

Try using real data instead of what you think, this economy is doing much better than the media wants to admit. If you couldn't afford your house now in a wealthy area, must be because the prices have gone up, sounds like a very vibrant economy.[/

It has nothing to do with the media. My problem is people boasting about the great economy when many don’t have decent healthcare. What’s the economy like in Mississippi and Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 12:30 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,340,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why are Democrats for unions and Republicans so against them. My healthcare plan is excellent.
It is not unions, it is union policies, forced support of liberal ideals and the excesses in costs. The local unions have been forcing public bills to be predetermined to be union jobs, the local papers have estimated that this will almost triple the cost of some projects.

BTW - I have excellent health care and the cost was probably far less than it would be under union rules. I worked a union job in college, I have seen some of the twisted policies that are in place to benefit the union, not the union member.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:33 AM

12,197 posts, read 7,181,584 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with the media. My problem is people boasting about the great economy when many don’t have decent healthcare. What’s the economy like in Mississippi and Alabama.
The economy in Mississippi and Alabama are doing better now than when Obama was in office. As for lack of decent healthcare, wasn’t Obamacare suppose to be that? How’d that turn out?

Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Look at the stats, you are using "feelings" and what you think, not actual data. Wasn't Pelosi pushing the great healthcare they passed? The economies of MS and AL are doing fine - I have been in both those states in the past year. I have a good friend that just moved to rural Mississippi (from San Diego, CA) and worked very closely with a group out of Huntsville, Alabama - both states are in much better shape than the media lets on.

Last edited by ddeemo; 02-11-2020 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-11-2020, 12:38 AM

12,197 posts, read 7,181,584 times
I agree with the OP, there is not the poverty you see in other countries here. Even the poor in this country have it way better than even the middle class in many countries.

As for all the homeless and tents in and around cities, those are people with mental or other issues. If one really wants to work and have a place to live in this country, you will be able to very easily.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I agree with the OP, there is not the poverty you see in other countries here. Even the poor in this country have it way better than even the middle class in many countries.

As for all the homeless and tents in and around cities, those are people with mental or other issues. If one really wants to work and have a place to live in this country, you will be able to very easily.
That is a good point, the average income in the world is around $2K, and to be in the top 1% of incomes worldwide only takes an income of about $32,400 - there are some on welfare in the US getting more than that in benefits. Most Americans are part of the 1% when measured against the world economy.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:14 AM

88,785 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Trump's economy has not benefited the poor nor the middle class.
Also wrong. Seriously, who on earth is telling you all lie after lie? This is the 2nd falsehood I've had to correct in this thread.

Wage Growth By Income Level

Old 02-11-2020, 04:18 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,051,715 times
I see very little poverty where there isn’t help readily available.
I don’t see much of what would be considered poverty in much of the world.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:19 AM

88,785 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Why are Democrats for unions and Republicans so against them. My healthcare plan is excellent.
I don't understand that either, given the info I posted previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
"There is a 33-percentage-point gap between Republicans' (76%) and Democrats' (43%) reports of being financially better off today than they were a year ago.

There is also a partisan gap when it comes to optimism about one's future finances, though it is smaller than the difference seen in attitudes toward current conditions. Among Republicans, 83% say their personal financial situation will be better in a year, compared with 60% of Democrats.

Independents fall in between on both measures, with 58% saying they are better off now than a year ago and 76% reporting they will be better off next year."
https://news.gallup.com/poll/284264/...-finances.aspx

The question is... Why are Democrat voters (but not Republicans or Independents) having so much trouble getting their financial acts together?

Old 02-11-2020, 04:37 AM

10,077 posts, read 6,372,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I see very little poverty where there isn’t help readily available.
I don’t see much of what would be considered poverty in much of the world.
Oh, so the hungry people here aren't starving like the hungry people in Africa or India. I'm sure that will make them feel SO much better when they can't feed themselves or their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies