Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 05:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
We steal their property force them to live in smaller plots of land and when they attack they are killed off.... Sounds like what we did to the Indians.....
Might makes right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 06:02 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
We steal their property force them to live in smaller plots of land and when they attack they are killed off.... Sounds like what we did to the Indians.....
Wow LOL

Old 02-12-2020, 06:08 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Nature is not pretty. Ever seen a Texas long horn with a broken back leg being eaten alive from the back end? I have and it was a Mt lion doing the eating.

Being eaten while still alive is pretty brutal.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Human beings are the ONLY species that does not know how to live in harmony with other species...we are almost like a 'virus' on the planet. (maybe thats what we truly are?)
We are like a virus on the planet. And any species will do the same, given the opportunity. That's evolution at work. It's all about survival. The people who believe other species lives in harmony got their ideas about nature from TV shows, not real life.

As humans, we have the ability to see what a mess we're making of things because we have these wonderful, bright minds, but we aren't bright enough to do what's best for the planet. No surprise there, because evolution wouldn't produce a species that would take itself out of the picture.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Progressives love to virtue signal about the Indians. Are they relinquishing their homes to become part of the Indian Reservation system? If not, they are huge, pathetic hypocrites.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Indians were a warring, enslaving, murdering Stone Age culture. They abused each other for sport, or to take their women, children and able bodied men to be slaves. They took each other's possessions, and hunting grounds. They were eventually replaced by a technologically superior European culture.
Let me fix that last part:

The Indians were a warring, enslaving, murdering Stone Age culture. They abused each other for sport or to take their women, children and able bodied men to be slaves. They took each other's possessions, and hunting grounds.

They were eventually replaced by a technologically superior warring, enslaving, and murdering European culture that took people from other cultures to be slaves, took control of their lands, forced the people of these cultures to follow their religion, and then declared themselves morally superior.

In the end, it all comes back to animals living out their programing to survive, procreate, and help their group survive.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:22 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's unfortunate these magnificent wild animals are killed for being what they are.

Yet they give slaps on the wrist towards violent human criminals throughout California.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-...032707110.html
These people really tick me off. They do this in other places, as well. Seattle area is another one that likes to kill wild animals after the people intruded on the wild animals land because they all needed to have a house in the mountains.

Camarillo is the same - you're going to be right at the mountains (the Canejo Grade is right there at Camarillo, 7% incline for about 2.5 miles going east towards L.A.).

If you don't want wild animals around, don't live where wild animals live. Don't leave your pets outside all day long. If it's livestock, keep the animals in at night, and monitor them during the day.

But most importantly, don't live in the fricken mountains where we've pushed all the animals after destroying their habitat for another ugly strip mall.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
These people really tick me off. They do this in other places, as well. Seattle area is another one that likes to kill wild animals after the people intruded on the wild animals land because they all needed to have a house in the mountains.

Camarillo is the same - you're going to be right at the mountains (the Canejo Grade is right there at Camarillo, 7% incline for about 2.5 miles going east towards L.A.).

If you don't want wild animals around, don't live where wild animals live. Don't leave your pets outside all day long. If it's livestock, keep the animals in at night, and monitor them during the day.

But most importantly, don't live in the fricken mountains where we've pushed all the animals after destroying their habitat for another ugly strip mall.
I totally agree with what you said about if you're not going to be prepared to deal with wildlife dont live where wildlife lives.

I was pretty much born and raised to ranch life. We lived right up against where the wild things are. Contrary to what many may believe we were not at constant war with those wild things. Rather we had agreements, treaties, even alliances in many cases.

Lizards, snakes, kit and grey fox, Bobcats and even coyotes were welcome on our spread. They kept a lid on many truly pest critters like certain insects and spiders, mice, rats gophers and jack rabbits.

If coyotes crossed the line, which they were known to do, intentions would become hostile until order was restored. We didnt have law but we insisted upon order.

The same thing applies with cats. We always accepted a certain amount of predator loss with our stock. It is bound to happen. But when certain critters started making a habit of grocery shopping with our herd all bets were off.

Cats and coyotes were always the offenders. And it was a gimme bodies were going to drop. A stock killing cat was a different problem from yotes. The yotes would always come to us. After a few went down order would be restored. Not so with a cat.

We had to go looking there. It could get...complicated. But we did manage a balance as a general rule. Having to kill a cat was a sad thing. For me anyway. I actually like them.

I've known some with a seething hatred for cats. I never developed that. They just are what they are. Same with yotes, but im... less fond...of them. Have less issue with sending a bullet downrange on a yote.

But they weren't and never will be just shot out of hand on my place. Unless a serious transgression has taken place. At any rate there are a lot of us out here who have chosen to live with the wild things that know how to find balance.

Thing is that balance stays that way via power. Power applied with discretion, but power nonetheless.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:31 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post

They were eventually replaced by a technologically superior warring, enslaving, and murdering European culture that took people from other cultures to be slaves, took control of their lands, forced the people of these cultures to follow their religion, and then declared themselves morally superior.

Yet, then set up a nation of laws that live in relative peace and prosperity where advancement is encouraged and occurs regularly. Unlike previously existed for thousands of years a society of violence and technological and cultural STAGNATION.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:33 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
I personally find it sad that this Mtn Lion had to be taken down.

However, CA is quite remarkable that a "3 strike law" is in place *at all* and that someone has to go thru the process described in the article before a permit is issued to allow taking the offending animal out.

It's a touchy subject, for sure.

The irony is that folks are wailing, wringing their hands, and complaining from the comfort of the house they live in, which in the past used to be undeveloped - with wild animals roaming & frolicking in unspoiled nature. (I got mine, but all future development must stop right now, right?)

It is literally perplexing reading replies "oh we took all of their land" - wtf is that supposed to mean? That pets and livestock taken down by predatory animals be considered acceptable tribute? Are the whiners/complainers going to offer to bulldoze down their own homes and restore the lots to their natural habitat in retribution for this transgression against nature?

The issue is what to do going forward in urban/suburban areas by way of managed growth with the KEY focus on preventing habitat fragmentation so that there is both ample space and linkages for the animals.

Go volunteer to planning boards or environmental groups if you feel so strongly about this (I do).

Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Yeah. I don't feel bad if the cat was becoming a nuisance. One killed a lady jogger in a rural community where I lived in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies