Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on taking stop and frisk nationwide.
No and I am a conservative. 26 18.06%
No and I am a liberal. 21 14.58%
No and I am other/moderate/independant,etc. 44 30.56%
Yes and I am a conservative. 31 21.53%
Yes and I am a liberal. 3 2.08%
Yes and I am other/moderate/independant,etc. 19 13.19%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 PM

11,347 posts, read 11,102,045 times

Advertisements

How many illegal weapons has stop and frisk policy taken off the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM

73,177 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Not as many as you'd like to think. Most of those targeted by Stop and Frisk were not found to be doing anything wrong.

And how can you tell someone has an illegal weapon by just looking at them?

Old 02-13-2020, 08:38 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,028,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Wrong question. How many criminals were caught, via warrants or who committed a crime or were about to commit a crime? Guns aren't the only metric for measuring it's effectiveness. SQF requires "reasonable suspicion."

Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,974,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Given Michael Bloomberg's comments regarding who should be stopped and frisked, and Trump having said he supports Stop & Frisk (and called for it to be expanded nationwide), what do you think? Should it be expanded throughout the USA?

By the way, I will chime in, and I'm not holding back on what I say.
I support the Constitution and no I do not support it.
I do not cherry pick out of it what supports the current flavor of the month.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:33 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,419,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
There are poor white areas with high crime rates... stop and frisk never seems to be an option... Wonder why?
Because those areas are not densely populated areas where those poor people can hang out on the same sidewalks that rich people use to get where they're going. Stupid question. And it leads us in a direction that obscures our view of the simple fact that stop and frisk is illegal (unconstitutional).

Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,617,117 times
No on stop and frisk-an unjust violation of the civil rights of innocent people. I do support long (and mandatory) prison sentences for those convicted of crimes. Our criminal justice system is a damn joke, all too often turning criminals free time after time with little or no prison time, only to prey on innocent people again.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 AM

15,079 posts, read 10,157,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Because those areas are not densely populated areas where those poor people can hang out on the same sidewalks that rich people use to get where they're going. Stupid question. And it leads us in a direction that obscures our view of the simple fact that stop and frisk is illegal (unconstitutional).
You are assuming that NYC area only used stop and frisk in areas where the rich and poor used the same sidewalks so to speak. Plenty of people where stopped in predominantly poor neighborhoods of NYC of that time. Plenty of non poor black individuals where stopped during that time as well.

I do agree it is unconstitutional and yet widely used for many years... Usually by white politicians who don't much care about minority population in their area.

Last edited by usayit; 02-14-2020 at 03:01 AM..

Old 02-14-2020, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Really? What white areas are "high crime" equal to that of black high crime" areas? I'd like to see the violent crime numbers.
The intent of stop and frisk is to reduce crime rate. Why must the criteria be comparative to another irregardless of racial lines. Some of the states that have comparable homicide rates in poor rural white areas.... If it can be used to reduce the crime rate in a city, why not in a rural area even if white. Alaska has the third highest homicide rate and a relatively high violent crime rate. Not much championing for stop and frisk in that state.

The obvious answer is that stop and frisk is profiling... No more no less.. When the profile of a perceived criminal is closer to that of the general population whose representative voice in government is strong... Then politicians will put a stop to it very quickly. In areas in which profiling will mainly impact those communities with little to no voice in government... Then stop and frisk continues unchallenged.. At least for a little while. Those groups with a voice in government don't care as long it isn't their family friend neighbors being harassed by the police.

It is discrimination and unconstitutional to say the least.

Last edited by usayit; 02-14-2020 at 02:57 AM..

Old 02-14-2020, 02:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,955,069 times
As long as there is probably cause, I have no problem. And being a gang member or standing outside a house where drugs are being sold and that person is a guard is probable cause.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
As long as there is probably cause, I have no problem. And being a gang member or standing outside a house where drugs are being sold and that person is a guard is probable cause.
The point of stop n frisk is that officers don't need probable cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies