Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 12:17 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,322,118 times

Advertisements

Will Bernie Sanders' idea of universal health care eliminate private health insurance? If so, that might not be the way to go. Private health insurance will still be needed it seems.

Quote:
Of the wealthy countries with universal health care, Canada is the only country without a private health insurance option. The Canada Health Act includes a loss of federal health care funding if a province allows both public and private health insurance.

https://saultonline.com/2020/01/cana...ate-insurance/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 AM

10,189 posts, read 6,733,742 times
He would try and fail, as its impossible to add Govt health insurance in the US.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:37 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,274,980 times
Democrats are promising all sorts of free crap they know damn well they cannot pass through Congress.

It’s amazing how many grown adults believe in his utter nonsense and lies. Naive kids I can understand, but grown adults..... smh

Old 02-13-2020, 12:45 AM

1,663 posts, read 868,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Will Bernie Sanders' idea of universal health care eliminate private health insurance? If so, that might not be the way to go. Private health insurance will still be needed it seems.
Yes it will actually make it illegal to sell private health insurance. After the bill becomes law, people would have four years that they could keep their private insurance, before being forced onto the government plan.
Quote:
Section 107 says that once the four-year period is up, it "it shall be unlawful for — (1) a private health insurer to sell health insurance coverage that duplicates the benefits provided under this Act; or (2) an employer to provide benefits for an employee, former employee, or the dependents of an employee or former employee that duplicate the benefits provided under this Act."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...althcare-plans

Last year in an interview Bernie said "we have to get rid of the insurance companies."
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/03/29/bernie-sanders-youre-damn-right-were-going-to-destroy-private-health-insurance-n2543887

His plan could badly damage the economy, with up to a 24% loss of GDP by 2060.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...onomy-analysis

Old 02-13-2020, 01:18 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,506,627 times
I love my private "insurance".

Why would I trade it for DMV healthcare.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 AM

18,655 posts, read 7,520,037 times
Will Bernie End Private Health Insurance?

Only if he becomes President.

In other words, no.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:33 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,464,363 times
Yes, that's what he's running on. He actually is under the delusion that people, most of whom get their insurance through their employee, will be happy giving up private insurance and going onto a new, national Medicaid program for all. It would be a disaster.

(And he really should call it Medicaid-for-all. By calling it Medicare-for-all, he is trying to trick people into thinking it would be equivalent to that paid in for decades by senior citizens, which is actually a pretty decent program.)

Old 02-13-2020, 05:36 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,523,348 times
I actually like the dual option.

EVERYONE gets a hamburger plan health insurance. Some copays and deductibles. NO ONE goes bankrupt due to medical bills.
Steak for those who can afford it. Private rooms in hospitals etc.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:59 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,756,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, that's what he's running on. He actually is under the delusion that people, most of whom get their insurance through their employee, will be happy giving up private insurance and going onto a new, national Medicaid program for all. It would be a disaster.

(And he really should call it Medicaid-for-all. By calling it Medicare-for-all, he is trying to trick people into thinking it would be equivalent to that paid in for decades by senior citizens, which is actually a pretty decent program.)
This brings up an interesting question. While I know that what I (and my employers) have paid in to Medicare for the last 50 years is likely to be less than I’ll ultimately get out of it, I also know I’ve paid in far more than an 18 year old. Since I’m getting close to retirement, I also know what Medicare would cost me under the current system. More than I currently pay under my employer plan, but far far less than Bernie wants to charge me.

Would those of us who have paid into Medicare for decades get any credit for those contributions? Or is it too bad so sad sucker?

Last edited by UNC4Me; 02-13-2020 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 AM

29,103 posts, read 14,415,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I actually like the dual option.

EVERYONE gets a hamburger plan health insurance. Some copays and deductibles. NO ONE goes bankrupt due to medical bills.
Steak for those who can afford it. Private rooms in hospitals etc.
Just as long as I can opt out of paying for the hamburger plan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies