Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 11:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
pull-ups are an underpants...ie a clothing item

a tampon...or even a pad are not clothing items....why are you arguing with me, this is how that state (and 99% of the other states) defines what will be allowed to be taxfree, for that particular weekend.....

its not my rule..., its not even my choice...

NY has the back to school tax free weekends in augusrt/September too....and tampons are not part of the products that are taxfree either…. no personal hygiene products (not even toothbrushes) are taxfree
At least in TN you can subscribe to the newspaper or any periodical tax free, although you will pay 7% tax if you need medicine. And that’s every day of the year. Makes total sense. No special interest finagling there.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 AM

52,273 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Pretty lame stuff.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:46 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
pull-ups are an underpants...ie a clothing item

a tampon...or even a pad are not clothing items....why are you arguing with me, this is how that state (and 99% of the other states) defines what will be allowed to be taxfree, for that particular weekend.....

its not my rule..., its not even my choice...

NY has the back to school tax free weekends in augusrt/September too....and tampons are not part of the products that are taxfree either…. no personal hygiene products (not even toothbrushes) are taxfree
Did you read Tennessee's list? Can you make a case that adult diapers should be on the tax holiday list, but that tampons shouldn't be?

Also, do you really think that all state tax holidays should include exactly the same items as New York does and no others? Please make the case for that, I'm absolutely fascinated by this line of reasoning. Especially from someone who says "15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan"

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-13-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
At least in TN you can subscribe to the newspaper or any periodical tax free, although you will pay 7% tax if you need medicine. And that’s every day of the year. Makes total sense. No special interest finagling there.
cant explain it...
then again I don't agree with the sin taxes many states have....why do I have to pay not only sales tax, but also a liquor tax on top of the sales tax, if I want a bottle of Jim Beam

as to the papers/magazines being not taxes...maybe (just throwing it out there), maybe, and a very hesitant maybe..its do to the press being free (is it against the 1st amendment to tax a newspaper??? (I am not being funny, I have no idea of the answer))

Old 02-13-2020, 11:52 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Did you read Tennessee's list? Can you make a case that adult diapers should be on the tax holiday list, but that tampons shouldn't be?

Also, do you really think that all state tax holidays should all include the same items and no others? Please make the case for that, I'm absolutely fascinated by this line of reasoning. Especially from some who says "15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan"
Why are you so worked up over a state’s tax free weekend choice? Half the people losing their isht are men. All over maybe .50 a box.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Also, do you really think that all state tax holidays should all include the same items and no others? Please make the case for that, I'm absolutely fascinated by this line of reasoning. Especially from someone who says "15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan"
did I even say that I agree..or don't agree with these taxfree holiday's??

all I said it that very blue (since the OP's thread is about bad republicans) New York does NOT include ANY personal hygiene products (including tampons) during its tax holidays

I don't think that any necessity should be taxed... but that then brings up what exactly is a necessity...

because depending on how you want to argue it:
..a roof over your head (shelter) is a necessity...
food in your gut is a necessity...
water is a necessity
all personal hygiene (unless you are a dirtbag) is a necessity (including tampons)

and the list could go on for miles

Old 02-13-2020, 11:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why are you so worked up over a state’s tax free weekend choice? Half the people losing their isht are men. All over maybe .50 a box.
1) I'm not a man
2) If you'd read the entire thread, you'd know that I'm not the one losing my isht

Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Tuxedos? Wedding dresses? Are those on a school supply list or school dress code?

Note: I’m not for tampons being added. I’m for a bunch of the current exemptions being removed.
Yes, some of them dont make anymore sense than tampons. I doubt you could get a wedding dress for under 100$, still dont know why that would be needed for school.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Inaccurate thread title.

A correct title would read.

Republicans oppose making tampons free of sales tax.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Some think there should be a five-finger discount.

https://pluralist.com/tesco-stealing...ns-sign-sorry/

https://twitter.com/TaylorEenaHoe/st...43489454063616
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies