Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It's not just the terms that are changing, concepts are changing.

Of course they do, concepts are always changing. 250 years ago if I showed my ankles I would have been ostracized as a loose woman.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 02:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
This is a misconception. Traditionally in the United States there was a strict black-white dichotomy. People of African descent were colored, and everybody else was white.

People often wonder why American history is only about whites and blacks - this is why. Everybody else was considered white - and they were saying that they were white. They didn't reinvent themselves as "people of color" until after the civil rights movement was over.
Well, that is changing. You might want to adjust your mindset to the reality of today instead of being obsessed with Latinos.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:12 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I find it highly insulting. “POC” denies so many their identity, as if they were nothing more than cattle. I know why jack booted lefty thugs use it. They’re trying to create an “us vs them” mentality. Meanwhile, completely and totally denegrating large groups of people to nothing more than their skin color.

Shouldn’t be surprised since the left has a long history of using and disrespecting anyone who has more melanin in their skin. They did it during slavery that they try to pretend they had no part of, they’re doing it to Hispanics now. Can’t get away with slavery so they pay them crap wages for labor intensive work and have the audacity to claim its “better” for those people.

The left continues to show the world how very little they think of “brown people” ( their words) and call them “people of color” as if that’s all they are.

The term person of color was used as a counterpart to the term "non-white" - as a more positive descriptor - because "nonwhite" means someone who isn't white - and implies that "white" is the default ethnic or race category. It "others" people who aren't Caucasian.

I'd rather celebrate my heritage as something other than "nonwhite".

Old 02-14-2020, 02:20 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
For the record, I haven't even noticed a change to the term POC. I might read it somewhere but it never stood out.

This may be one of those made up problems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2020, 02:23 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Well, I'll call you by your name and you can call me by mine. Everything else is designed to divide and stereotype.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
Quote:
The attempt to add Middle-Easterners to the "people of color" coalition was scrapped. They are still white.

MENA was cancelled. There's no "MENA" minority group, and there's not going to be one.
Not so fast. Rep Rashida Tlaib (D,MI) has often described herself as a 'woman of color.' She is of Palestinian heritage and reminds me in appearance of my 6th grade science teacher, who was of Italian heritage.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Stop projecting.

Black people should be able to identify themselves however they please without having to answer questions from white guys (like the OP) or anyone else.
We're talking about a matter of English language usage here. Anyone who is an English-speaker has a right to weigh in.

Last I checked, there is no federal language police that is charged with censoring certain people from speaking on certain topics based on their skin tone.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:24 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Not so fast. Rep Rashida Tlaib (D,MI) has often described herself as a 'woman of color.' She is of Palestinian heritage and reminds me in appearance of my 6th grade science teacher, who was of Italian heritage.
She's just inventing that. The government cancelled MENA. Middle Easterners are still officially white. They aren't a minority group.

You can't just invent that you're a "person of color". The only reason they wanted to be recognized as minorities is so that their organizations could qualify for minority funding and take advantage of Affimative Action and other benefits. They have never been excluded in American history - those programs are not meant for them.

MENA was just made up. Nothing about it was real.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
She's just inventing that. The government cancelled MENA. Middle Easterners are still officially white. They aren't a minority group.

You can't just invent that you're a "person of color". The only reason they wanted to be recognized as minorities is so that their organizations could qualify for minority funding and take advantage of Affimative Action and other benefits. They have never been excluded in American history - those programs are not meant for them.

MENA was just made up. Nothing about it was real.
I agree, she just invented it. But what is striking is that the invention seems to be accepted by most in the media. Just google and you can find quite a few news articles where she refers to herself as a 'woman of color,' but I've yet to see her called out or questioned about it.

Rep. Tlaib is of Palestinian lineage. The original Palestinians ('Philistines') were 'people of the sea' who arrived on the coast of what is today Israel around 1100 BC. They were probably from the islands around Greece, per archeological evidence.

Growing up I had a good friend who was Palestinian, who immigrated to the US to go to school. I am mostly N. Euro ancestry, and he was as pale as me--usually more so in the summer, because he tended not to get as much sun as me.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:57 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
I'm a white guy.
Left of Center.
No political affiliation.
My pronouns are "Him" "He" and "Fatso"

I keep hearing this term "POC" for "Person of Color"
Now, I usually have been seeing/hearing this term a lot from liberals and leftists. But is this a good term?

I remember when I was a kid and people really started pushing the idea saying African American instead of black person. And I heard a black comic say "I hate the term African American because it makes it seem like I'm some how less American"

And I always gravitated towards that way of thinking when it came to these PC types of terms. I used to say that the only one I DID like was "Native American" but then I saw a documentary where a Native person was saying that that term was stupid because how could they be "Natives" to a land that their people preceded.

Now this POC is coming up a lot.
When I was a child my Grandma would always call black people Colored. She wasn't racist, she was born in 1919 and that's just what she was used to saying. She would say "who's that actor? That colored guy." And I'd always say "What color was he, Grandma?" because I was a sassy boy. But is there really a difference between saying "Colored Person" and "Person of Color"?

I mean, isn't the correct response to "POC" still "what color are they"?

To lump everyone together, be they black or brown or whatever. Be they Hispanic, Middle-Eastern, Asian, etc and put them all under the label of "POC" seems racist to me.

I'd love to hear comments from people who aren't white, to get your opinion. Is there a benefit to this term that I don't see?
I think the Afro-American community existed from around 1793 (northern states 1st passed personal civil liberties laws in response to Fugitive Slave Acts) - the Red Scare based in the regional cultural milieu of the midwest (some scholars argue that Missouri gave birth to the abolitionist movement).

Now its just a freak-show hedge-podge of Afro-Saxons, settler southern Africa denizens, slaver sidekick Guineau coast denizens, Eur-Africa partisans from across the northern Atlantic pond & a whole host of other despicables.

Last edited by kovert; 02-14-2020 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies