Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 PM

613 posts, read 814,885 times

Advertisements

I can only speak for myself. As an older white male, I've got it pretty good. I've always had it pretty good. I expect I will always have it pretty good.

I'm grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 02:34 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No one is asking you to care about slavery no matter where it happened. But it DID happen here, and African Americans aren’t just gonna act as if the legacy of it has completely disappeared and that the residual effects of slavery are non existent. Ain’t gonna happen.

As long as that’s established, everything is cool. Actually expecting white folks like yourself to see the nation’s past sins against African Americans as heinous is naturally too much to ask. Especially to people that are incapable of empathy.
It's not about being incapable of empathy, it's about generational/racial blame against people who had nothing to do with it. Many of us ypipo grew up after segregation and Jim Crow. We were taught since childhood to judge people "by the content of their character, not the color of their skin." We had black teachers, looked up to black athletes, entertainers, entrepreneurs, politicians, and others. We accepted and embraced the ideal that King and others spoke of. But then something happened. We held out our hands in friendship and it was slapped away. We were told that we shared some kind of collective guilt based solely on the color of our skin. And we watch everyday how the demonization based on genetics just becomes more and more prevalent. Open racism against whites is often applauded on social media, with many thousands given their thumbs up and "likes."

All this doesn't bode well for the future of race relations in this country.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:37 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The whole meme of poor little innocent white men being mistreated is fake. There has never been a more privileged and powerful group. The fact that someone calls them on it and infringes on their privileged status causes general weeping and threads like this
When you've always had the advantage, equality feels like oppression.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:48 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I was at a bar in downtown Detroit and I was talking to an older black gentleman who said that the 1967 riots were mostly about looting.
In confusion there is profit...............

Old 02-14-2020, 02:55 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It's not about being incapable of empathy, it's about generational/racial blame against people who had nothing to do with it. Many of us ypipo grew up after segregation and Jim Crow. We were taught since childhood to judge people "by the content of their character, not the color of their skin." We had black teachers, looked up to black athletes, entertainers, entrepreneurs, politicians, and others. We accepted and embraced the ideal that King and others spoke of. But then something happened. We held out our hands in friendship and it was slapped away. We were told that we shared some kind of collective guilt based solely on the color of our skin. And we watch everyday how the demonization based on genetics just becomes more and more prevalent. Open racism against whites is often applauded on social media, with many thousands given their thumbs up and "likes."

Excellent, truthful post. Thank you!

Old 02-14-2020, 02:57 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And the left has the Gall to call Trump a divider. Shame on you!

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6131955263001#sp=show-clips
Well....Japan attacked America and then we helped rebuild Japan. Germany used violence to try to conquer the West....then we helped rebuild Germany after the war. Black peoples were enslaved by America and you tell us to go hell....we don’t owe you anything.

It seems like violence is the only thing America respects.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:57 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
if you are going to try and talk history to trump style populist you might just as well talk to a brick in my experience lol...by the way i think the largest race riot in history was the WHITE people rioting in Oklahoma destroying the black "wall-street" community in the 1920s and that is conveniently forgotten

Bill Oreillys "war on Christmas" is what conservative white people get upset about and the ones i know brag about how orderly they are about that perceived slight..so without a respect for history they just don't get it
Uh, that was 100 years ago. Why are you living in the past?

Old 02-14-2020, 04:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I wrote that post to get some triggered and apparently you got triggered. The last part of the post was a joke and a trope.

If not white liberals and maga folks. It is easy to trigger black folks like you too.
That triggered nonsense is bunk. If you say something outta line, I’m calling it out.

A joke? Says you. Didn’t sound like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Exactly. It's like Oliver Twist politely asking for more porridge - and getting refused. And you wonder why folks who get ignored, shunned off and not listened to have to resort to more assertive measures to call attention to issues? SMH.
Yep. Riots work. Very well in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
if you are going to try and talk history to trump style populist you might just as well talk to a brick in my experience lol...by the way i think the largest race riot in history was the WHITE people rioting in Oklahoma destroying the black "wall-street" community in the 1920s and that is conveniently forgotten

Bill Oreillys "war on Christmas" is what conservative white people get upset about and the ones i know brag about how orderly they are about that perceived slight..so without a respect for history they just don't get it
Exactly. Whites have used riots DOZENS of times to make a statement. Deadly riots too.

So I don’t listen to anything outta their mouths that’s condemnatory of riots. I’m not trying hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

That’s your take on it. Then there’s reality.

As for race relations, I don’t care about the topic. Never did. It’s overblown. Not important at all. We don’t have to all like each other to live here. I won’t step on your toes, so I’m not gonna tolerate you stepping on mine in any shape, form or fashion.

Simple. But don’t pester me with race relations nonsense. I gives less than a damn about that.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:19 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
drawing attention to historical facts is not demonizing people as it is showing past "demonic behavior" which many are blissfully unaware of..of course our deranged demonic college professors do the same thing

Old 02-14-2020, 04:41 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fact is, the powers that be don’t listen to you if you DON’T riot. I don’t advocate rioting because I wouldn’t advocate for anything that I wouldn’t do myself, but the fact is that rioting gets the attention of people that are bound and determined not to give you any redress for your grievances. And white folks have used rioting a bazillion times in our history...and they were violent riots too. Lots of people got killed.

Once white folks got the power, they didn’t need to riot anymore, although they still did in some instances. The ‘43 Beaumont, Texas and ‘43 Detroit Riots are an example. Hell, the ‘43 Zoot Suit Riots too. Just beat up and attack Hispanics for wearing “unpatriotic clothing.” SMH

Hell, if Ike hadn’t sent in the Army in ‘57 during the Little Rock Crisis, whites would’ve killed all 9 of those black kids with their bare hands, and everyone knows it.

So there comes a time when people get tired of begging for their issues to be addressed. The LA Riots were terrible, but guess what? The LAPD, although not perfect, has most certainly done a better job of policing the city without all the rampant brutality that they’d been getting away with for decades.
I actually agree completely that people need to be willing to disobey and fight back if they're being treated unfairly...I don't agree with the people who advocate being a law-abiding citizen who always follows the rules, and trying to work within the system to change things.

That said, it depends on whether it's actual injustice they're fighting or not. I think some complaints are legitimate, but many of the social justice types are misguided and are falling for the straight white male scapegoat narrative, hook line and sinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies