Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 12:11 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I believe we have a misunderstanding. I had a little reading comprehension issue there. I took that as you saying the thought of holding the people responsible for slavery accountable was "heinous" to me. Not the practice of slavery itself. My bad.

But my position in general still holds. Theres just nobody alive today to hold accountable. Its 150 years past. Yet it seems no matter what regrets are acknowledged or special considerations made ALL White people in America will be held accountable and responsible for the practice of slavery in this country and all ramifications involved.

We have non discrimination laws, affirmative action, special considerations and preferential status in employment and education, even proposals for financial reparations to descendants of slaves.

But some folks gotta have the cherry on top and feel that White people should feel shame for being White. That just doesn't work for me. Cant speak for all White people but personally...no joy.
https://atlantablackstar.com/2013/08...fited-slavery/

When you inherit an estate or business.....you inherit its assets and liabilities. So actually you are wrong, there are institutions, that profited from slavery that are around today....including the biggest institution of them all....AMERICA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 12:35 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Meanwhile the FBI just declared White Nationalist a growing threat and there is no law for domestic terrorism. It's treated like a hate crime.

Last July, Christopher Wray told Congress that the FBI recorded 100 arrests in a 9 month period and a majority of the cases were tied to white supremacist violence. The number of domestic arrests are close to the number of international terrorists arrests.

It's not only here, but it's global. Anybody on the left promoting white supremacists? I don;t think so.

Lets keep these things in perspective and condemn all of it instead of just pointing fingers at one side.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:14 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is this even a serious post?

Its more serious than your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
So long as they keep it to cities run by Democrats who really cares? Let them destroy their own part of the country while everyone else laughs at them for it.

agreed. I'll be laughing at them anyhow.

Quote:
Fact is, the powers that be don’t listen to you if you DON’T riot. I don’t advocate rioting because I wouldn’t advocate for anything that I wouldn’t do myself, but the fact is that rioting gets the attention of people that are bound and determined not to give you any redress for your grievances. And white folks have used rioting a bazillion times in our history...and they were violent riots too. Lots of people got killed.

The ends justify the means?

Quote:
The LA Riots were terrible, but guess what? The LAPD, although not perfect, has most certainly done a better job of policing the city without all the rampant brutality that they’d been getting away with for decades.

The LA Riots were media induced for showing a certain part of a video over and over and over and over to misrepresent a situation to be grossly mishandled. The media is just as much at fault then like they are today. Why not show the part where Mr King was attacking the cops and resisting arrest over 2 billion times instead? They have an agenda to push.

Last edited by tipsyguam; 02-16-2020 at 04:26 AM..

Old 02-16-2020, 04:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We are going to see major riots in cities throughout the U.S. on Election Night if Trump wins. There's no question.
I have to be honest. I didn't vote for Trump, but part of me wants to see him get re-elected just to watch the people in my old Democratic Party go nuts. I wouldn't want to be in a city when he gets re-elected that is for sure. Lots of rioting and burning buildings like the left loves to do. Odd bunch and I am ashamed I was a part of that group for so long. Now a proud Independent. Not sure who I will vote for. Guess it depends on who the Democrats get in there. Bloomberg might actually have the best chance. People like moderates. Well Trump is pretty moderate really. His mouth isn't however.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:05 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
I believe we have a misunderstanding. I had a little reading comprehension issue there. I took that as you saying the thought of holding the people responsible for slavery accountable was "heinous" to me. Not the practice of slavery itself. My bad.

But my position in general still holds. Theres just nobody alive today to hold accountable. Its 150 years past. Yet it seems no matter what regrets are acknowledged or special considerations made ALL White people in America will be held accountable and responsible for the practice of slavery in this country and all ramifications involved.

We have non discrimination laws, affirmative action, special considerations and preferential status in employment and education, even proposals for financial reparations to descendants of slaves.

But some folks gotta have the cherry on top and feel that White people should feel shame for being White. That just doesn't work for me. Cant speak for all White people but personally...no joy.
"Yet it seems no matter what regrets are acknowledged or special considerations made ALL White people in America will be held accountable and responsible for the practice of slavery in this country and all ramifications involved. "

And the FACT that MOST "salves" were sold by OTHER BLACKS is ignored. It is ALWAYS the white mans fault ALONE!

If someone is NOT selling, you cannot buy it.!

Old 02-16-2020, 05:08 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
That's a good question. It can really be looked at that simplistically. There are no "oppressed" people in the US today. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, and now even sexual preference and "gender identity" is illegal.

And anyone attempting to break those laws will be subject to severe criminal and civil repercussions. We keep hearing now that White people, men in particular, are seeing true equality as discrimination against them. Because we just "aren't used to it."

NEVER in my life has the fact that I am a White male given me any kind of leg up over anyone of different skin tone or gender. But with that in mind very often White men are indeed treated unequally now in some respects.

For example if an accusation of being racist is brought against me as a White male, or of sexism or sexual harassment, that accusation is treated as being true pretty much out of hand. Guilty until proven innocent.

That is NOT equality. That is discrimination however. But that is also seen as being fair in the minds of many these days. Payback is a bi*** ya know. That is how things are seen.

Equal and special are one in the same these days in some ways. I have no problem with a level playing field. That means nothing is decided out of hand based only on race and gender. So yes, affirmative action IS discriminatory and should not be happening. And there are other things as well.

I dont think that "equal" needs to be redefined.
"But with that in mind very often White men are indeed treated unequally now in some respects."

Affirmative Action is in DIRECT violation of EQUAL rights.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:46 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We are going to see major riots in cities throughout the U.S. on Election Night if Trump wins. There's no question.
Atta girl, Rach...that's the American Spirit of MAGA isn't it? Be as big a part of any problem as one can, foment problems and don't forget to fabricate them, and never ever consider being a part of any solution or compromise or attempted progress. Keep America and Americans divided and in Donald thy trust.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
People always blaming others. Never blaming themselves for the mess. A whole lot easier to point fingers and be victimized. If people would learn to work together in the present instead of living in the past, the future would be a better place.

But no. It's all about me me me me me me. This goes on BOTH sides, Democrats and Republicans, and yes on other parties as well.

Instead of blaming each other, playing victim cards, one should look at themselves. What have YOU done to make things better for yourself, your community, your position in life.

But! Before you say anything that sounds like anything about blaming each other again, ask yourself that again.

You're only responsible for your actions. You want a better future for yourself, your children and their children? I'm sure you do. You have to work for it. Not going to be given.

Everyone brings up the past. Ok....as an individual, you've learned lessons and managed to do things better? I surely have. Am I living in the past? Nope. Living in the present, working out kinks for a better future. Am I blaming my mom or dad, or anything else for stealing your time to read this? (Or not reading) No. Blaming myself for wasting my time because I'm sure nobody cares.

Because it's all about me me me me. Something wrong? Let's blame the other guy. It's easier to do that than take responsibility and make things better for the future.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:19 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

When you inherit an estate or business.....you inherit its assets and liabilities. So actually you are wrong, there are institutions, that profited from slavery that are around today....including the biggest institution of them all....AMERICA.
There are institutions around today that profited from burning out and murdering homesteaders as well. Banks, railroads and mining companies. But an institution is not an individual.

I was talking about specific PEOPLE not basically immortal institutions run by people. There is nobody working in these business ventures or in this country who is responsible for slavery or the violent stealing of land from homesteaders in the Westward expansion.

What was done to so many people of all skin colors in the name of Manifest Destiny was every bit as bad as slavery. But just like slavery there is nobody alive today who is in any way accountable for those wrongs.

The institutions themselves are not responsible either. You realize you're not talking about a sentient being there right? I believe I am quite correct in my assessments.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 AM

2,180 posts, read 639,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

In that case, the debt owed by black peoples to whites and Europeans will never be paid back.

It was, after all, Britain and the British Empire that summarily closed the international slave trade in most quarters of the world. (The Arab trade in blacks notwithstanding, which basically still continues to this day and was going on well before the Europeans ever got involved).

And in the USA, most of the wealth accrued by slavery was lost in the war to end it.

So, there ya go. The ledger is clean, and blacks in the west now represent the most prosperous, richest, free-est and most productive group of blacks in the world.

Not bad, considering where you'd probably otherwise have been had your ancestors sold your great granddaddy to the Arabs instead of the Europeans. (If they let him keep his balls, that is, which they usually didn't). Indebted, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies