Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 06:55 AM

27,356 posts, read 28,426,105 times

Advertisements

E-Verify has been around for 24 years.

It does not stop illegal aliens from entering the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 06:59 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,911,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
E-Verify has been around for 24 years.

It does not stop illegal aliens from entering the United States.
Because it has no teeth and in Texas and Florida it doesn't even apply to private companies only the government. Complaining about sanctuary cities is just a diversion from addressing the real issue.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:11 AM

62,647 posts, read 28,822,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Really now? I live in the 3rd. largest state and have a Republican Governor & Legislature so what is going on here?

Will this be the year Florida’s Republican lawmakers pass an E-Verify law?

"For years, any push to implement the E-Verify system has created waves in Republican circles. Many conservative voters love the program, which requires employers to check the immigration status of new hires. Gov. Ron DeSantis made implementing E-Verify a priority.

But Republicans in the state Legislature often balked, citing how the program would burden businesses. They received plenty of political cover from agriculture, construction and tourism leaders who strongly opposed a mandatory E-Verify system."

Source: https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...-e-verify-law/

When it comes down to it "Money talks and BS walks" so Republicans aren't serious about this issue.
They talk out of both sides of their mouths !
I was talking about making e-verify mandated by the federal government to all of our states. That is where the Democrats in congress have refused to do it. The Gang of 8 bill had it in it but the Democrats refused to pass it unless there was a huge amnesty attached to it. Here educate yourself on this issue.

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/trum...ional-e-verify

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/sen-...y-senate-floor

Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Oh well. Couldn't care less about the inconveniences for illegal immigrants.

Kinda comes with the territory of being a law breaker and line jumper.

Next time they should pick somewhere easier to immigrate to... like Brazil.
I do not support Sanctuary Cities, and I think we should use the legal systems to enforce our laws on the books. If the laws are bad, or need to be adjusted, then do that through the process. We can all argue forever about what is right or wrong, but let's remain a nation of laws and due process.

With that said (so you don't accuse me of loving illegals, I don't), I have a question for you, or anyone who supports this new BP Policy:

Are you really for the Federal Gov't using FORCE to impose their policies on states, cities, etc? When did you stop believing in states rights? Does your support of the Feds being able to impose your will also apply to Abortions? Should the feds go into all Pro-life states with guns, and forcibly make them open the Abortion Clinics they have closed? If Bernie, or another hard-left candidate wins the POTUS race, should the feds be encouraged to come in and take guns (even though no candidate is proposing that, a future "hypothetical" candidate might)?

I guess my point is this: Do you only support his overreach and illegal use of force because it's pointed toward something you support? Or will you also support federal overreach and illegal use of force when they come for your guns, come to take your legal weed, shut down or build more oil rigs, change your speed limits, enforce whatever insurance law is in vogue for the day, etc?

Is this really how you want to empower the Feds? I would think the answer for all Americans should be no. And the answer for states-rights republicans should be HELL NO.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I do not support Sanctuary Cities, and I think we should use the legal systems to enforce our laws on the books. If the laws are bad, or need to be adjusted, then do that through the process. We can all argue forever about what is right or wrong, but let's remain a nation of laws and due process.

With that said (so you don't accuse me of loving illegals, I don't), I have a question for you, or anyone who supports this new BP Policy:

Are you really for the Federal Gov't using FORCE to impose their policies on states, cities, etc? When did you stop believing in states rights? Does your support of the Feds being able to impose your will also apply to Abortions? Should the feds go into all Pro-life states with guns, and forcibly make them open the Abortion Clinics they have closed? If Bernie, or another hard-left candidate wins the POTUS race, should the feds be encouraged to come in and take guns (even though no candidate is proposing that, a future "hypothetical" candidate might)?

I guess my point is this: Do you only support his overreach and illegal use of force because it's pointed toward something you support? Or will you also support federal overreach and illegal use of force when they come for your guns, come to take your legal weed, shut down or build more oil rigs, change your speed limits, enforce whatever insurance law is in vogue for the day, etc?

Is this really how you want to empower the Feds? I would think the answer for all Americans should be no. And the answer for states-rights republicans should be HELL NO.
Setting immigration policy and enforcing immigration laws is a national responsibility. Seeking to address the issue through a patchwork of state laws will only create more problems than it solves.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:46 AM

25,374 posts, read 12,495,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Setting immigration policy and enforcing immigration laws is a national responsibility. Seeking to address the issue through a patchwork of state laws will only create more problems than it solves.
I agree. Plus, when it comes to State power versus the Feds, the Feds win out every time...eventually. The States can obstruct and dodge the Feds for a while, but in the long run, the Feds have the power on immigration.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree. Plus, when it comes to State power versus the Feds, the Feds win out every time...eventually. The States can obstruct and dodge the Feds for a while, but in the long run, the Feds have the power on immigration.
Also, how are we to remain the "United" States of America if every state is making it's own rules in regards to federal immigration laws?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:09 AM

14,112 posts, read 4,504,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Illegal use of force?

You do know BORTAC are federal law enforcement officers, right? They have the authority to enforce federal law anywhere in the US pursuant 8USC1357 enacted by US Congress. This is like saying the FBI cannot enforce federal law in California because their headquarter is in DC.

Now, you have a point if Trump uses active duty military (aka martial law) to enforce immigration law in sanctuary cities.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:14 AM

Also, i thought politicians from sanctuary cities said that immigration enforcement is a federal LE problem.

Now they are complaining federal LE enforcing immigration law in sanctuary cities?

Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 AM

BORTAC national team from El Paso participated many operations within interior of US and sometimes outside of the US (Iraqis border police trained by BORTAC). Just because it's not on the news it doesn't mean it did not happen.

A few years ago BORTAC national team from El Paso pursued two escaped convicts from New York near Canadian border. The most famous incident happened in 2000 when BORTAC took in Elian Gonzalez, the Cuban boy, and returned him to his dad in Cuba. That made international news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies