Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 03:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I am all for physician assisted suicide; however, euthanasia of people based upon cost.... that's different.
I get what you're saying but I think the euthanasia is now being offered to everyone because the government realizes it can save money if it gives people that option. So it is not to cut costs of any particular individual, it is just that the government has conveniently said we are no longer morally opposed to physician assisted suicide for a broad number of diseases.

I don't have a problem with that, but then I don't have a problem with physician assisted suicide for anyone for any reason. People have a right to die when they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 03:42 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
So the OP title for this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the article.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
I am all for physician assisted suicide; however, euthanasia of people based upon cost.... that's different.
Let’s not apply the OP’s take on a proposed law to allow physician- assisted suicide in Spain in those cases that meet defined criteria.

Nothing to do with costs. All to do with acknowledging the human right to pull their plug on their terms, when there is no hope left.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If the patient wants to end it, let them. Government should never force people to continue to suffer.
Obviously there are plenty who disagree.

Family members often resist DNR orders.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
How many of those people "chose" to use money that could be used to buy health insurance on other things?

Additionally, it doesn't show anyone was turned away from any treatment.
Why do you think they died? Surely you're not saying that people who cannot afford medical care are not turned away... Anyone can show up at any ER if they are having a heart attack or if they've cut off their arm, but if you go because your diabetes isn't under control, they can't set you up with a treatment plan. They tell you to go see your doctor. If you can't afford chemo for your cancer, you can't just go to the ER and get it. So while the ER will keep someone alive who has an acute injury or illness, once you're stable (as in, you're not likely to die before your doctor's office opens), you're on your own. So yes, people without money are routinely denied the type of care they need.

I don't know what the average premiums were in 2009. I will tell you that for my family of four, the monthly premiums now are around $1,500 for a "bronze" plan, which really doesn't cover much of anything. (I'm self-employed and my husband's employer does not offer health insurance.) So yes, undoubtedly, people are "choosing" to pay for things like housing and food other than medical insurance.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:30 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Really? Let's see the US numbers to which you refer.
Seriously? Have you been living under a rock? It’s at least in the hundreds of thousands now a year who die in the US either because they had no coverage and did t seek or were denied care or who’s insurance denied their procedure. If you really believe insurance will always cover your procedure any hospital you go into will have paperwork showing you insurance must authorize payment for procedure before it is carried out.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:39 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I wonder if as many people would die as those in the US who simply can’t afford medical treatment at all or whose insurance determines their procedure isn’t covered? It would be almost impossible to meet those numbers.
When a government takes money from some of its citizens and unconstitutionally gives it to others (aka theft and distribution of stolen goods), it usually benefit those others, no question.

The bad news is that the big-govt advocates then start thinking that since it benefits some people, that makes the theft OK.

One of government's duties is to protect its citizens from having their rights violated. But stealing money from Group A to pay for insurance for Group B doesn't do that. It merely violates the rights of Group A.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When a government takes money from some of its citizens and unconstitutionally gives it to others (aka theft and distribution of stolen goods), it usually benefit those others, no question.

The bad news is that the big-govt advocates then start thinking that since it benefits some people, that makes the theft OK.

One of government's duties is to protect its citizens from having their rights violated. But stealing money from Group A to pay for insurance for Group B doesn't do that. It merely violates the rights of Group A.
And if we are talking about health care, what do you suppose happens to Group B?

Old 02-15-2020, 05:30 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
I see nothing wrong with assigning value to a persons life, their contributions and good works and if they have provided a demonstrable value, let's take care of them. And this standard should be applied to anyone over 30. Lifetime bum? oh well, door #2 for you. I'll be happy to judge, part time, I like to play golf too.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Obviously there are plenty who disagree.

Family members often resist DNR orders.
Very true. As a cancer survivor I can tell you I have seen the the extremes that families will go to, just to prolong or delay the inevitable.

I saw one cancer patient, brain tumor, Half his damned brain was gone. He had 0 cognitive function. His family did all they could to keep that poor man's heart ticking. No one should endure that.

I know of old people who were filled with cancer. They 0 chance of cure. Only a delay of months. The families refuse to let them die with dignity.

No Ill speak for myself. I have seen how horrible cancer related deaths can be. How brutally painful. To the point that no pain meds actually help.

If that were me? I would want a doc to give me about 12 times the lethal dose of Morphine and let me pass quietly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies