Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 989,003 times

Advertisements

It's the American sign language gesture for "love" that Harriet Tubman is depicting on the card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 07:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
"It seems to show the Wakanda 'forever' symbol rather than an American Sign Language sign for love," according to Robert Weinstock, spokesman for Gallaudet University, a prominent university for the deaf and hard of hearing.

In other words is has nothing to do with "love". Go figure. What a sad country we live in really. Just hate on top of more hate.

What is really odd to me is all Americans just want a nice safe place to work and play, yet the divide is nuts. I am thankful every day that I am in the well over 70% group of white people in our country. We are in full control, but we are also very fair. White people elected a black president for two terms and we would do it again if they were qualified.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:16 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
"It seems to show the Wakanda 'forever' symbol rather than an American Sign Language sign for love," according to Robert Weinstock, spokesman for Gallaudet University, a prominent university for the deaf and hard of hearing.

In other words is has nothing to do with "love". Go figure. What a sad country we live in really. Just hate on top of more hate.

What is really odd to me is all Americans just want a nice safe place to work and play, yet the divide is nuts. I am thankful every day that I am in the well over 70% group of white people in our country. We are in full control, but we are also very fair. White people elected a black president for two terms and we would do it again if they were qualified.
That ain't gonna cut it any more. Now you better feel guilt and self-flagellate over your unacceptable melanin level.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:57 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Hysterical.

Clearly not the "love" sign but the Wakanda salute.

They knew what they were doing.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That ain't gonna cut it any more. Now you better feel guilt and self-flagellate over your unacceptable melanin level.
Well I suspect it is like a drug. If you give a little and people get a taste of something, they will want more and more. On the other hand, some people are happy with the little they get. Oh well.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:34 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Right wingers should embrace Wakanda as a concept. It is, after all, a fictionalized example of an autocratic, homogeneous, xenophobic and highly nationalist ethno-state.

And left wingers should sit and think about the implications of that for a while next time they throw up the sign. Wakanda Forever?!
sorry. right wingers don't like autocratic, homogeneous, xenophobic and highly nationalist ethno-states.

that's a leftist ideology. we like free democratic republics built on the values of free enterprise, the dignity of work and very small government.

race isn't a factor.
Nationalism in proper perspective however is a good thing.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:40 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

It's interesting that the white people who were the least likely to vote for Obama and those who actually voted against him......are the most likely to use the act of other whites voting for Obama as a POSITIVE reflection on white people. Yep. Even though the majority of whites voted against Obama, those who were against him think its great for the image of whites that other whites were actually for him....notwithstanding....that they were not? Thus, one can only conclude, using that logic, that those whites who did not (the majority) vote for Obama represents a bad reflection on their race.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:55 AM

2,180 posts, read 639,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It's interesting that the white people who were the least likely to vote for Obama and those who actually voted against him......are the most likely to use the act of other whites voting for Obama as a POSITIVE reflection on white people. Yep. Even though the majority of whites voted against Obama, those who were against him think its great for the image of whites that other whites were actually for him....notwithstanding....that they were not? Thus, one can only conclude, using that logic, that those whites who did not (the majority) vote for Obama represents a bad reflection on their race.

Your logic is terrible.

You should be looking at the bigger picture: In the United States, which people like you constantly deride as being a racist country, a black man (from the nation's soon-to-be smallest minority group) gained enough support to rise to the highest position of power in the country.

This is something that is almost unheard of anywhere else in the world. Not black countries, not Asian countries, not Latin American countries.... not even other white countries.

In other words: you demand perfection from white people and white countries. You deride white supremacy and white racism... yet it's not as big a problem globally as what minorities experience in non-white countries.

This "opposition to whiteness" is clearly an identity you have crafted for yourself, along with a mythology and misunderstanding of world history and reality.

Hat tip: "Afrocentric scholarship" is an oxymoron.

The fact is: white countries are the free-est, most progressive, most fair and most equal places on earth. White populations are most committed to social justice. Non-white communities are committed only to justice "for their own" in-groups.

The question is: what's wrong with non-white people that they can't manage to produce the same outcomes when they are majorities in charge?

Old 02-17-2020, 08:07 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It's interesting that the white people who were the least likely to vote for Obama and those who actually voted against him......are the most likely to use the act of other whites voting for Obama as a POSITIVE reflection on white people. Yep. Even though Thus, one can only conclude, using that logic, that those whites who did not (the majority) vote for Obama represents a bad reflection on their race.
Let's see what you said.

• "....white people who were the least likely to vote for Obama and those who actually voted against him......are the most likely to use the act of other whites voting for Obama as a POSITIVE reflection on white people." -Conjecture based only on very small anecdotal experience at best. It actually makes no sense at all. The ones most likely would be those who actually voted for Obama.
  • ...the majority of whites voted against Obama, those who were against him think its great for the image of whites that other whites were actually for him....notwithstanding....that they were not? - Same conjecture restated yet again, but you are now also telling us that you know what 10s of millions are "thinking" as a fact that you can report.
  • "...one can only conclude, using that logic, that those whites who did not (the majority) vote for Obama represents a bad reflection on their race..." - The Logical Fallacy is complete.
The argument is fallacious. You make up conjecture, restate it as fact, then use it to support a conclusion that Whites, because of what you said, are racist. This base on your sole skill of being able to tell us what 10s of millions who you have never met, are thinking and doing.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:09 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Your logic is terrible.

You should be looking at the bigger picture: In the United States, which people like you constantly deride as being a racist country, a black man (from the nation's soon-to-be smallest minority group) gained enough support to rise to the highest position of power in the country.

This is something that is almost unheard of anywhere else in the world. Not black countries, not Asian countries, not Latin American countries.... not even other white countries.

In other words: you demand perfection from white people and white countries. You deride white supremacy and white racism... yet it's not as big a problem globally as what minorities experience in non-white countries.

This "opposition to whiteness" is clearly an identity you have crafted for yourself, along with a mythology and misunderstanding of world history and reality.

Hat tip: "Afrocentric scholarship" is an oxymoron.

The fact is: white countries are the free-est, most progressive, most fair and most equal places on earth. White populations are most committed to social justice. Non-white communities are committed only to justice "for their own" in-groups.

The question is: what's wrong with non-white people that they can't manage to produce the same outcomes when they are majorities in charge?
I think its great that America elected a black president. I think the act, without question, demonstrates racial progress in America. In truth, however, I do not believe that the act was all about race. If think only an extreme form of racism would manifest in people switching their vote to the other party due to race. Most people voted the way they did in the general election because of the platform of the party was more important than the color of the candidate. I don't believe whites voted against Obama because they were racist and I do not believe that just because a white person voted for Obama it means that they are not racist. The votes were based upon party affiliation and not color. Now.....if Obama were to champion black issues and conditions....that would be a test of white support. For a black person to support a white agenda.....well....what da problem is?

My response was to the notion that voting in a black president means that the nation is not a racist nation. Again, that goes along with "I have friends who are black". "I am dating a black person". All those things can be true and one can still be a racist because racism is more about how you feel and what you think of blacks you don't know more than how you think about the blacks that you do know. People make exceptions to their general beliefs all the time. It's only an extreme manifestation of racism where people will not make exceptions. That level of racism in America has been greatly reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies