Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 05:31 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Dual income families are progress. 60 years ago, if an educated woman got married, husband fooled around with every women (in clerical role) in the office, or if he beat the wife, the wife had to stay married for economic survival.

Those days, Thank God, are gone.

This male is delighted those days are gone.

I do not think our divorce rate being much higher is a bad thing necessarily, as the era we compare it to was one where a middle to upper-middle class wife was, in essence, a kept women, a/k/a a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 05:59 PM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Now that both adults are working full time, they must get senior citizens and children to work full time too. Most Seniors dont have enough to retire, so they are having to work longer and longer.

They are trying to figure out how to get cats and dogs to work and pay taxes too!

Old 02-16-2020, 06:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Staying home and raising children is not a permanent state of affairs unless someone has children until the woman is no longer physically able to bear them any longer. Most people have 2 or 3 kids when they're in their late 20s, early 30s. And most people send those children to school at age 5. So that means that if they're all two or so years apart, you're staying home with them for about 9 or 10 years.

I did it with my own kids, and I actually homeschooled them, so I was home for longer than usual. I was fortunate that I was able to work from home beginning out of necessity when my youngest was about 5 (this was in 2008 when the economy crashed). That was part-time at first, but now that my youngest is almost 17, I work full-time from home. Still, I'm here to take her places when needed, go to medical appointments, and switch the laundry. It works for us.

I am also very fortunate that I had and have a strong marriage. Many of my friends are getting divorced, now that the kids are older. Most were stay-at-home moms and have no career experience to draw from. Some are in pretty dire financial straits, unfortunately. Even though my husband and I have no intention of divorcing, I'm still really glad I have my own career and could support myself and our family if needed. I don't think it's wise for one partner to make zero money and to not put anything into their career for decades on end. I'm glad that both women and men can have full-time careers if that's what they choose to do.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
So who should stay home the husband or the wife?

both partners have a desire to be what they can be.... why would anyone think a one income family is desirable. Sure it may fit the bill for some, not for the majority.
LOL. A desire to be what they can be? Yeah, successful parents. Everything else is subordinate to that. What a weird perspective you have.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:47 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Most people are not willing to live by the standards of the 1950s-60s. One, 1200 SF home, one bath, 2 parents, 2 kids was pretty typical. One car for the family. Kids rode bicycles (and didn't get hauled around by parents that think they are taxi drivers). One phone for the family, and it was attached to the wall. Mothers often sewed cloths. Families grew a good portion of their food in the family garden. Meals out were a very rare treat, not a daily occurance. Lunches for school consisted of bologna or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Perhaps the biggest difference? Taxes on workers were lower. Income. Sales. Property. Social Security. Vehicle registration. Now...if so much wasn't being sucked out of the pockets of the taxpayers, they could have that cash to get ahead themselves.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:53 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Staying home and raising children is not a permanent state of affairs unless someone has children until the woman is no longer physically able to bear them any longer. Most people have 2 or 3 kids when they're in their late 20s, early 30s. And most people send those children to school at age 5. So that means that if they're all two or so years apart, you're staying home with them for about 9 or 10 years.

I did it with my own kids, and I actually homeschooled them, so I was home for longer than usual. I was fortunate that I was able to work from home beginning out of necessity when my youngest was about 5 (this was in 2008 when the economy crashed). That was part-time at first, but now that my youngest is almost 17, I work full-time from home. Still, I'm here to take her places when needed, go to medical appointments, and switch the laundry. It works for us.

I am also very fortunate that I had and have a strong marriage. Many of my friends are getting divorced, now that the kids are older. Most were stay-at-home moms and have no career experience to draw from. Some are in pretty dire financial straits, unfortunately. Even though my husband and I have no intention of divorcing, I'm still really glad I have my own career and could support myself and our family if needed. I don't think it's wise for one partner to make zero money and to not put anything into their career for decades on end. I'm glad that both women and men can have full-time careers if that's what they choose to do.
Amen!

Old 02-17-2020, 11:49 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
LOL. A desire to be what they can be? Yeah, successful parents. Everything else is subordinate to that. What a weird perspective you have.
Its funny how successful parent is not how others describe those women raising children on welfare, using the food stamps and living in section 8 housing because staying home and raising the children was more important than education, career, advancement. Then one day she finds herself without a husband with no skills or job experience waiting for that child support check that doesn't come.

People can "be what they can be" and be a parent. Actually I think their accomplishment can be a very positive influence in inspiring their children to be all they can be.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Shrugs. In my neck of the woods, two incomes has always been the norm... but it was the bread-winner working two jobs.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:34 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Only because SOME women decided they wanted to be part of the work force. Now you have men displaced by women because of gender. Manufacturers decide to raise prices because many households had 2 people earning incomes and those of us who were just fine being a parent and raising our children were forced to work to keep up.

Children were left alone with no one to guide them, parents started buying them whatever they wanted because they felt guilty and we have the milleniums who think everything is free and you don't have to work for it.

I stayed home as long as I could. We lived paycheck to paycheck but I was involved with the kids and their schooling and raising them with values. Because we had little money - they valued what small gifts they received and learned to work for what we couldn't provide.

Has nothing to do with Republicans - women in general started us down this path.
Yes, the downfall of civilization is that more women didn’t want to be unemployed.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
To me it's funny how that idea got lost and now we think that 2-income households being the norm is a sign of progress.
But it is a sign of progress.

For one thing, women are now free to pursue rewarding careers, whereas they were discouraged from doing so in the past.

You also ignore the labor aspect.

The claim is that if women didn't work, then men would get more money and there wouldn't be a need for two-income households.

That claim is patently false.

Why? Because it would actually create a surplus of labor and wages would fall.

Removing women from the work-force would create job vacancies, but there's not enough men to fill those job vacancies no matter how much money the employer offers in wages.

The result is that many employers would be forced to either shut down, or reduce operations, resulting in men being unemployed, which creates a surplus of labor and wages fall rather than rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies