Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 PM

29,798 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I decided to look up FDR and he was elected in 1932. The stock market crash was in 1929 so I know you're not blaming him for the great depression. (The great depression officially ran from April of 29 to March of 33) Fun fact about FDR. He was elected President 4 times. He is the reason we have a 2 term limit on the Presidency now. He also tried to implement universal healthcare.

It's generally accepted that FDR prolonged the depression, as well as the suffering experienced by the American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 08:22 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's generally accepted that FDR prolonged the depression, as well as the suffering experienced by the American people.
I'm reading a debate on that now.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:23 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
So what do college students have to do with that? Seems more than half want to pillage corporations and redistribute that wealth as they see fit.
The part that went for Finance, STEM, Supply Chain Mgmt, are keeping our industries not just running, but thriving. The wealth belongs to the equity stakeholders. All others get salaries, hourly wages, and incentive pay.

Most who make things with their hands and machines are clueless at how to successfully run a business. I'm not talking a tin business run from their basement machining parts, but rather running a corp with hundreds of millions to billions in revenue is beyond their comprehension as to understand what it takes.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enTEvon9pbw

Wouldn't want to be Bob in democratic utopia
It's all so funny until the concentration camps pop up.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The part that went for Finance, STEM, Supply Chain Mgmt, are keeping our industries not just running, but thriving. The wealth belongs to the equity stakeholders. All others get salaries, hourly wages, and incentive pay.

Most who make things with their hands and machines are clueless at how to successfully run a business. I'm not talking a tin business run from their basement machining parts, but rather running a corp with hundreds of millions to billions in revenue is beyond their comprehension as to understand what it takes.

Sorry Bob, but 75% (at least) of our economy is powered by small businesses, the real engine of growth on which the corporations largely depend upon. The strength and weakness of the consumer class also greatly influences the economy.

One thing to note is how dependent our economy is on debt to sustain it's growth. That is not exactly healthy. The stock market growth has also largely been driven by corporate buybacks. In many cases, they are just borrowing money and using it to buy their own stock, and watching the money grow. It is not rocket science Bob, especially in today's environment of ultra low interest rates.

The real test of corporate leadership is just now beginning. The waters are a bit more choppy since Trump has shaken things up a bit. I love excitement, so I am not complaining, but running a business is no easier than it ever was... Unless you're a corp that can just borrow money and buy your own stock, but even that strategy may not be so effective going forward.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:34 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
That video was pretty good.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:45 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Sorry Bob, but 75% (at least) of our economy is powered by small businesses, the real engine of growth on which the corporations largely depend upon. .
Large corp demand drives them. I live near Sikorsky Aircraft. Over many decades, when their revenue dropped, it crusheed many small businesses that serve them. Not the other way around.

The growth is fueled by demand for large corporation's products. Small businesses often feed off of that.

We are thriving economically as the DJ is thriving. DJ has ZERO small businesses listed on it.

The F1000 is thriving. Again, nation's 1000 largest publicly traded corps.

Small shops will do well, when the big corps thrive and need stuff from small shops.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Large corp demand drives them. I live near Sikorsky Aircraft. Over many decades, when their revenue dropped, it crusheed many small businesses that serve them. Not the other way around.

The growth is fueled by demand for large corporation's products. Small businesses often feed off of that.

We are thriving economically as the DJ is thriving. DJ has ZERO small businesses listed on it.

The F1000 is thriving. Again, nation's 1000 largest publicly traded corps.

Small shops will do well, when the big corps thrive and need stuff from small shops.

I think this belongs in another thread. I will say, we've have 8 years of corporate pandering from Obama. Then we got Trump, someone who was elected because all was not well in America. I don't think more pandering to the needs of the corporations are going to fix what is broken.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:06 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I loved that.
What if we are already the characters? ooohhhhhh number 5 is alive.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:01 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So I ran a google search for: Only a small fraction of trade on capital markets is speculative.

It even already has a name. Tobin Tax in reference to the Forex. This is nothing new and it's already in place in other markets. Are you saying currency markets aren't speculative? The link below states that they are.

This is what I read:

https://books.google.com/books?id=cV...ative.&f=false

If it doesn't show up because it's a Google search it from:

The Statistical Mechanics of Financial Markets
By Johannes Voit
page 163
Oh, you had to look it up on Google. Oh, you had read it in a book. That's cute!

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Try living it in the front lines with decades of experience.

Wait, you are on welfare and you have enough savings that you don't need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies