Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 05:00 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,415 times

Advertisements

Also, if people in China are dying from it, it is serious. One life is still a life and there are many human beings dying from it if reports are true. I don't know that it is an epidemic since I'm not there, but I certainly wouldn't poo poo it, as I am not the ones there going through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 05:07 AM

12,038 posts, read 6,567,177 times
What’s important about the Corona Virus is that in this new highly globalized world, it is teaching us how we will need to deal with a possible future world wide pandemic on the national/federal level all the way down to the personal and household level.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:06 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I haven't seen in any official articles that CV is 50x more deadly than 'flu and we do not appear to be seeing this in the numbers so far, although it may get more severe as time goes on. Even the hype articles I have read do not state that.

Where does it say that deaths occur in young healthy people, as opposed to the at-risk populations of old and kids? I haven't seen that either. Please supply an official source for these 2 statements so we can be correctly informed.

There are probably all kinds of unofficial people doing their own temperature checks in China, but from a first-hand point of view, my forehead temperature was checked as I boarded an Air China flight to beijing yesterday. This means that the official way to do it seems to be sensible. We were also checked at the destination airport by temperature-sensitive camera which is standard technology since SARS days. Everyone was supposed to wear masks on board whenever possible.

a)Simple arithmetic: 0.05(%) x 50 = 2.5(%)

b) temperature taking as a screening method: at what point does the infected pt become febrile?--He's been shedding virus, spreading the infection, for 7 -10 days before he becomes symptomatic. It's useless, but it makes it look like "They" are doing something for us.

c) Plenty of data from CDC showing that when the population is divided into quartiles, only youngest seems to have a death rate (very slightly) improved by flu vax. Middle 3 groups show no change, while the eldest group shows no change in all-cause death rate, but if they had the vax, then less likely "influenza" will be entered as cause of death on the certificate. Common knowledge that influenza is generally only lethal in those with pre-existing conditions. Look up older research to verify that. I don't have time to do your homework if you don't want to accept my experience of 45 yrs working in the field.

CV, OTOH, is killing "healthy" people- EG- the doc who first described it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
This particular strain of coronavirus is called "novel" because it is a new strain. I don't believe that any parts of it are even similar to other coronavirus strains. With influenza, at least you have two variants that have *some* similarities to previously circulating influenzas. Whenever there is a "novel" virus, the infected person can react much more strongly once infected; leading to more deaths. Until the population starts to build up some natural immunity to it, it can be more dangerous than influenza.

The natural course of all infectious diseases is an example of "co-evolution." The novel virus kills off those susceptible to it, leaving behind those with more "natural immunity." Those survivors pass those beneficial genes along to the next generation, while the weak genes are eliminated....The bug itself evolves to become less virulent: the nastier ones that kill the host, kill themselves, so to speak, leaving the less virulent strains behind to sicken but not kill the hosts.

The problem is, mutations are random & frequent, so the next mutation might turn a tame strain into a killer at any time.....It's a jungle out there.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:10 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
For comparison:

Death rate from influenza in the US-- 0.05%;--deaths mostly occurring in people "ready to die" ie- those with severe primary illnesses and weakened defenses. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Death rate from corona virus-- 2.5% with deaths often occurring in otherwise young, healthy people.

CV is 50x more deadly than influenza.

The prime directive in Public Health, derived from so many yrs of experience prior to the availability of antibiotics, was to identify the cases and isolate them, and then identify their contacts and isolate them.

In principle, they're doing the right thing. In reality, I'm not so sure screening by taking a remote temperature on the tarmac in winter weather of the masses as they disembark a plane or drive up to check point is sensitive enough....Quarantining a cruise ship is really dumb: almost guarantees they're all gunna get it and it's unknown how many will become persistent carriers, ala' Typhoid Mary.
I'd be careful of making the claim COVID-19 has a mortality of 2%.

We know how many people have died from it (or complications from it), but we don't really know how many have been infected. We probably have only the tip of the iceberg with the numbers (71,000) being given of infected. The more people infected with the same numbers dead means the mortality rate drops.

A typical flu season hits 8% of the population. COVID-19 is claimed to have higher transmissibilty than flu, 8% of China's population is 104,000,000. So just for flu you'd expect 2 months into a flu season for there to be several million infected.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:21 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Let's see.
  • Feb 4 - Cruise ship delayed in Japan due to 1 case of virus on Feb 2
  • 3700 passengers & crew
  • Feb 5 - Testing finds 10 more cases. Ship quarantined. Guests required to say in rooms.
  • 400 Americans on ship
  • Feb 9 - 66 confirmed cases
  • Feb 11 - 39 additional cases
  • Feb 17 - 454 total confirmed cases.
  • Feb 16 - Planes arrive to evacuate Americans.
  • Feb 16 - 44 Americans denied evacuation because they are infected.
  • Feb 17 - 16 new cases found on the 2 planes. (imagine being on those planes having flown 13 hours from Japan)
This is no ordinary flu as put forth by the OP and the MSM. This is an infection rate of 13.5% in less than 3 weeks.

These facts speak for themselves.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,415 times
Norovirus on a cruise ship can spread pretty quick too. 299 passengers and 22 crew members sick with norovirus on a cruise ship earlier this month. They were supposed to be on the ship 14 days.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rs/4715417002/

Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,643 times
Maybe they are afraid it’s going to mutate to something much worse. That’s what happens in the movies and that is where my medical knowledge begins and ends.

Bring it on, I’m retiring from my job so who the hell needs me anymore anyway. Take us old farts out and save the young. That’s what Mother Nature does.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 AM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Norovirus on a cruise ship can spread pretty quick too. 299 passengers and 22 crew members sick with norovirus on a cruise ship earlier this month. They were supposed to be on the ship 14 days.

What’s your point? Norovirus doesn’t put 20% of those infected in a hospital, or leave 2% dead.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
What’s your point? Norovirus doesn’t put 20% of those infected in a hospital, or leave 2% dead.
No was just in reference to how fast things can spread on cruise ships. It was being discussed how it relates to the flu.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:37 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yet we have so much hype around it. Why is that?

Looking at the numbers, as of 16th feb 2020, the Johns Hopkins University page gives us approx 72,000 contracted, of which approx 1775 deaths. This is roughly 2.5% death rate.

Infographic PDF

Source
In the USA each year there is a wide range of numbers of people who die from flu-related complications. Between 3,000 and 49,000 are some of the numbers quoted.

So, why are we being bombarded by news media about the dangers of the Coronavirus and yet we are not being told the associated numbers of 'flu deaths each year for comparison. I was in Switzerland recently and the manager of the hotel I was in, told me that Switzerland gets 2000 deaths each year from 'flu. So far we have less than this for the Coronavirus in a worldwide situation.

It is almost as if the governments of the world want to scare us... or maybe it is to prepare us for something?

I am not saying this is unimportant, but I am saying we need to place this 'epidemic' into a context and keep this in mind when we watch the evening news. We also need to ask ourselves why the governments of the world are hyping it up so much?
Because it's a different strain of Coronavirus.

I wonder how many on here knew that their can of Lysol used to say (or may still say) that it helped protect against various things including Coronavirus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post

This is absolutely correct. It's why the media loves to rile everyone up and get hysterical when another Norovirus story comes out. When you have people in an enclosed place, of course viruses are going to spread quickly. In the case of Norovirus, you can avoid that by washing your damn hands before you put food in your mouth. If you push elevator buttons, hold the railing as you go up/down stairs, use the same tongs that 100 other pax just used, and then sit down to eat after touching all of that....well...guess what. Do what your mother told you, wash your fricken hands, people, before you eat.

As for Coronavirus - you can do the same as above, but since a lot of people were not taught manners and apparently see no issue with coughing and sneezing and hacking up a lung right in front of you without covering their mouths, there's not a lot you can about that because you're usually blindsided by it as you walk along minding your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies