Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Can we all agree that it is a GOOD thing to require an able-bodied person, without children, to get some sort of job in order to collect food stamps - especially when we are in the midst of a 50-year-low in the unemployment rate? (There is no excuse to be without a job these days....virtually every little retail shop I stopped in at yesterday had "help-wanted" signs, with one advertising hourly rates starting at $11/hr.)

Yes, this is another measure of economic success that the country has enjoyed under the Trump Administration. By virtue of the "full employment" the United States now enjoys, due in large measure to Trump's lowering of corporate tax rates and his removal of onerous regulations, people are now able to get jobs easily. On top of that, people in the lower brackets have seen their wages increase at 3x the rate of those in the upper brackets, and those in the traditionally higher groups of unemployment, blacks and Latinos, are enjoying record-low unemployment.

P.S. I was a business owner myself, and YES.....I did built that!

https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/09/a...-stamps-trump/
No doubt he's done better than the previous administration but it's still way too high.

Food stamp usage is 33% higher than before the 2007 crash and population has grown ~9% in those 12 years

Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
As a former social worker I can tell you that wealthy people and corporations want you to believe that poor people are the problem and not themselves. Poor people often don’t make enough money to save enough to move to a better state. Others depend on family for childcare, etc because it’s so expensive. Single employed moms with deadbeat ex’s that don’t get child support often depend on food stamps. Locally our minimum wage is 8.25 and rents are skyrocketing so now the working poor and seniors are becoming homeless. Get mad at corporations and the wealthy who aren’t paying their fair share of taxes. They are the only people that Trump has helped.
Just over 1% of all workers earn minimum wage and a many of those are teens just starting out.

Fair share? lol You don't get to decide how much money to steal from corporations

Old 02-17-2020, 11:49 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Can we all agree that it is a GOOD thing to require an able-bodied person, without children, to get some sort of job in order to collect food stamps - especially when we are in the midst of a 50-year-low in the unemployment rate? (There is no excuse to be without a job these days....virtually every little retail shop I stopped in at yesterday had "help-wanted" signs, with one advertising hourly rates starting at $11/hr.)

Yes, this is another measure of economic success that the country has enjoyed under the Trump Administration. By virtue of the "full employment" the United States now enjoys, due in large measure to Trump's lowering of corporate tax rates and his removal of onerous regulations, people are now able to get jobs easily. On top of that, people in the lower brackets have seen their wages increase at 3x the rate of those in the upper brackets, and those in the traditionally higher groups of unemployment, blacks and Latinos, are enjoying record-low unemployment.

P.S. I was a business owner myself, and YES.....I did built that!

https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/09/a...-stamps-trump/
A recent Presidential Medal of Freedom winner a long time ago said, "The left's measure of success is how many people are on welfare, while the right's measure of success is the number of people they get off of welfare."

Old 02-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hang on --- after a 10 year recovery of course you are going to see a reduction in safety net recipients.

There has been no official policy change on SNAP recipients since Trump took office. The reduction is from our 10 year recovery.

No matter how much you try -- you cannot show that any one specific Trump policy has resulted in any significant change in how the economy was growing before he took office.

The train just keeps chugging along.....in spite of Trump?
And when Republicans hold office for five more years you're going to say it is a 15 year recovery before you see that. If I am wrong then give us a link to a study where you got that information.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

Fair share? lol You don't get to decide how much money to steal from corporations
Totally agree, but just like we want to kick dead-beat people off of food stamps and other programs, companies who don't pay their "FAIR SHARE" should not be entitled to use of infratstructure that our taxes pay for.

They can choose for themselves, and if they choose not to pay their share, then:
-No use of roads
-No use of the courts
-No use of any educated employees
-No access to international flights at public airports
-No Cyber-threat support from the Military and National Guard (they get a lot, BTW)

I totally agree, but if we are going to weed out the 'so-called' deadbeats, then let's weed out the real ones too.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You really want to get the food stamp rate down? Decrease it among the working poor.

My last comment isn't a joke. The drop in unemployment rate doesn't take into account the workforce participation rate. Workforce participation has been on the decline for ages.

Something else. I was laid off from a job in 2017. I was unemployment for 13 months, and then UNDEREMPLOYED for 6 months. Why? I had many job interviews, but simply didn't get hired for the job. I didn't get a decent paying full time job again until January 2019. This economy hasn't been a success for EVERYONE.

By the way, alot of men who can't get jobs have trouble because many businesses check for felony records. Many businesses don't want to hire people with felony records.

And for some people, job discrimination is still a problem. You can keep on about "the unemployment rate dropped", but job discrimination still remains a problem in this country. It could have played a role in me being turned down for jobs.
13 months hahahaha How pathetic. I've never ever been out of work for more than a couple of days. I couldn't afford to live. I choose to work and not receive handouts. That's what an adult does.

The number of people with felony records hasn't changed much so it isn't a factor.

And no job discrimination isn't a big factor nowadays and you have no proof. That's just you falsely playing the race card yet again.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:02 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Now do Trump's rich corporate buddies that continue to milk corporate welfare and tax benefits.

Meanwhile, Thank you President Obama.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/stat...32034650722304

WHAT A LOAD!!!

CBO estimates that ARRA's policies had the following effects in calendar year 2014 compared with what would have occurred otherwise:

They raised real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product (GDP) by between a small fraction of a percent and 0.2 percent,

They lowered the unemployment rate by an amount between a small fraction of a percentage point and 0.2 percentage points,

They increased the number of people employed by between 0.1 million and 0.3 million, and

They increased the number of full-time-equivalent jobs by between a slight amount and 0.2 million.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/49958

Last edited by momonkey; 02-17-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Totally agree, but just like we want to kick dead-beat people off of food stamps and other programs, companies who don't pay their "FAIR SHARE" should not be entitled to use of infratstructure that our taxes pay for.
sigh... Why do you get to decide what is fair though?
The more money those corporations have the more people they can hire and the better their ability to pay more. The free market establishes the pay scale for the most part and when government steps in and sets price and wage controls bad things happen.

Quote:
They can choose for themselves, and if they choose not to pay their share, then:
-No use of roads
-No use of the courts
-No use of any educated employees
-No access to international flights at public airports
-No Cyber-threat support from the Military and National Guard (they get a lot, BTW)
lol For most of Americas existence we didn't have a Federal income tax and we had all those things. Except the last ones which weren't in existence because of technology.

Quote:
I totally agree, but if we are going to weed out the 'so-called' deadbeats, then let's weed out the real ones too.
Agreed. Treat the cause of the problem, make welfare less attractive and allow the free market to reign.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So what about getting skills, experience, etc. that EARNS a better wage or salary? Nobody does that?

Where are all these people that aren't "surviving". Are they dying in the streets? If so we'd have piles of corpses to clean up.
Surviving as in with food and shelter. Plenty of people outside with neither.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You really want to get the food stamp rate down? Decrease it among the working poor.

My last comment isn't a joke. The drop in unemployment rate doesn't take into account the workforce participation rate. Workforce participation has been on the decline for ages.

Something else. I was laid off from a job in 2017. I was unemployment for 13 months, and then UNDEREMPLOYED for 6 months. Why? I had many job interviews, but simply didn't get hired for the job. I didn't get a decent paying full time job again until January 2019. This economy hasn't been a success for EVERYONE.

By the way, alot of men who can't get jobs have trouble because many businesses check for felony records. Many businesses don't want to hire people with felony records.

And for some people, job discrimination is still a problem. You can keep on about "the unemployment rate dropped", but job discrimination still remains a problem in this country. It could have played a role in me being turned down for jobs.
Are we beginning to get the whole story now?

Eventually convicted felons will start getting more job offers if there is no one else to hire. I can see where they might be the last demographic to see gainful employment numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies