Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:32 PM

7,059 posts, read 4,506,701 times

Advertisements

The last I checked Trump is at 15k lies. I can’t believe any intelligent person supports him. Seriously he is following in Hitler’s footsteps. It’s scary. He has been saying that he should not be subject to term limits and considering that the Justice department is now his slave who is going to stop him?

Old 02-17-2020, 07:35 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,327 times
If the economy is so fabulous we need to take back the tax cuts.

Stat.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,327 times
Read David Enrich, “Dark Towers”.

Outlining how Der Trumpfuhrer has been laundering Russian money for ever.

Comes out tomorrow.

Oh - and Deutsche Bank will be answering questions next month. In court.

Cannot wait. Pass the popcorn.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
The policy is that you have to work 3 months, at least 20 hours a week, in the previous 3 years to qualify for food stamps.... and the idiotic left had an issue with that!!! lol
I don't necessarily have an issue with that because it doesn't do much good to have food stamps but I do think it proves the stupidity of the government. If you work more than 20 hours a week then you still don't qualify for food stamps. It basically resembles something like a paradox (someone help me out with the wording because I'm struggling to choose between paradox, catch 22 or double edged sword. they all have similar meanings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Poor people often don’t make enough money to save enough to move to a better state.
Yeah I got a new credit card for this very purpose but it sits there unused because I can't just borrow money. Landlords and lenders need to know you're going to have the required income to pay rent/mortgage. The really messed up thing is a lender told me they consider your income now not the income you would be getting you were to move..so a higher minimum wage means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And how can you be too poor to move to another state? Are you saying they can’t save enough to buy a $40 bus ticket and $100 for the first week in a room somewhere? Always excuses.
I wish it were that simple. I would have been gone years ago since I wanted to leave this state for 19 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Are we beginning to get the whole story now?

Eventually convicted felons will start getting more job offers if there is no one else to hire. I can see where they might be the last demographic to see gainful employment numbers.

Convicted felons are practically given jobs and if they're not they have a lot of organizations to help them. There's a tax credit for hiring them too.

Yes I resent felons. Having mental illnesses and/or challenges is the criteria to avoid all costs. Now I'm not saying that I see a bunch of felons in office jobs or whatever but they certainly have their pick in retail jobs and probably if they wanted an office job they would get significant help to get one.

Quote:
And as I just informed YOU, all it would take is a bus ride to a more vibrant area and a room in a cheap extended-stay motel to start. I'm proposing a "relocation program" to help make that possible for the unemployed in depressed areas. In my area, they are crying for employees - and someone could arrive here, get a job, start within a week, and within two weeks they'd have their first paycheck (probably first week, since the low hourly jobs often pay by the week) to extend their extended-stay motel booking.

I would love that as long as I was able to secure the job and be able to relocate in the state I intended on moving to. Otherwise if I can't go to the state then I might as well stay here and be stuck with depression in a dead end job.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:28 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
You’re talking single mothers - and Trump isn’t requiring work for them to get food stamps for them. You’re so eager to defend people who don’t work and are supported by others that you didn’t read my OP. We are talking about the adjustments he has made regarding people without children who refuse to get a job. And how can you be too poor to move to another state? Are you saying they can’t save enough to buy a $40 bus ticket and $100 for the first week in a room somewhere? Always excuses. But if that is truly the problem, taxpayers would be better off purchasing the bus ticket and first week’s lodging than continue paying out hundreds of dollars in food stamps year after year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ebenezer Scrooge, is that you?

Will anyone go to your funeral?
1) How ironic - a liberal accusing a conservative of being cruel for expecting able-bodied, childless adults to work (given our booming economy) by making the cruel suggestion that nobody will care if she dies.

2) There is nothing cruel about suggesting that an able-bodied adult who claims he can't find work because there aren't are jobs available where he lives move to an area where jobs are going begging for applicants - and even suggesting a program by which taxpayers would pay for his transportation and his initial "set-up" costs in his new area. (That's better than my dad got when he moved as a young adult 6 hours from home, with a few dollars in his pocket and a booking for rented room because he couldn't find a job where he lived.) It is ridiculous that in the midst of a 3.6% unemployment rate that fully-functioning adults refuse to relocate a couple of hours away to where the jobs are and STILL expect that taxpayers will keep forking over foods stamps.

3) If you call me Scrooge, I'm sure you feel that way about the Obamas and the Bidens. Before they burst onto the national stage, they gave a relative pittance. (I gave a higher percentage to charity than they did!) Like so many liberals, they are generous with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I

I would love that as long as I was able to secure the job and be able to relocate in the state I intended on moving to. Otherwise if I can't go to the state then I might as well stay here and be stuck with depression in a dead end job.
Except.....you have a job, at least, even if it is dead-end. I am talking about people with NO job, and with the knowledge that just a bus ride away is an area that is going begging for jobs. Now, they are free to make that decision to remain unemployed when there are options, but liberals want taxpayers to ENCOURAGE the decision to remain dependent on OPM (other people's money) without having to lift a finger to help oneself. And in the best economy of my life.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
1) How ironic - a liberal accusing a conservative of being cruel for expecting able-bodied, childless adults to work (given our booming economy) by making the cruel suggestion that nobody will care if she dies.

2) There is nothing cruel about suggesting that an able-bodied adult who claims he can't find work because there aren't are jobs available where he lives move to an area where jobs are going begging for applicants - and even suggesting a program by which taxpayers would pay for his transportation and his initial "set-up" costs in his new area. (That's better than my dad got when he moved as a young adult 6 hours from home, with a few dollars in his pocket and a booking for rented room because he couldn't find a job where he lived.) It is ridiculous that in the midst of a 3.6% unemployment rate that fully-functioning adults refuse to relocate a couple of hours away to where the jobs are and STILL expect that taxpayers will keep forking over foods stamps.

3) If you call me Scrooge, I'm sure you feel that way about the Obamas and the Bidens. Before they burst onto the national stage, they gave a relative pittance. (I gave a higher percentage to charity than they did!) Like so many liberals, they are generous with OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.
There are plenty of countries in the world with no welfare state of any kind. If you don’t like paying taxes to help the poor, you have plenty of options.

Count you blessings: you live in a country where the mentally ill are housed in prisons or in cardboard boxes, a country that has a higher % of its population behind bars than China, and where half the population is one missed paycheck away from homelessness. All so that you can pay lower taxes and buy more cheap crap made by slave labor overseas. I hope that makes you sleep better at night.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There are plenty of countries in the world with no welfare state of any kind. If you don’t like paying taxes to help the poor, you have plenty of options.

Count you blessings: you live in a country where the mentally ill are housed in prisons or in cardboard boxes, a country that has a higher % of its population behind bars than China, and where half the population is one missed paycheck away from homelessness. All so that you can pay lower taxes and buy more cheap crap made by slave labor overseas. I hope that makes you sleep better at night.
Why do you assume I don't give generously, via charitable programs, to help the poor? As I mentioned, I give more, percentage-wise, than Obama or Biden ever did (until they were the P/VP candidates).

Secondly, who said this is about paying taxes? Who said I want to move where I don't have to pay taxes? (You make so many assumptions about conservatives.) Nope, this is about encouraging able-bodied adults who are languishing without a job to pick up and take advantage of the best "job economy" on record. It is ridiculous that we have jobs going begging in one area, and a bunch of people in another area who say they can't find work.

And look, I get it you're a liberal, and that you are fine with being cruel to people who disagree with you. But you really kill your argument when you accuse someone of being cruel and uncaring and then making a cruel remark yourself.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:27 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Can we all agree that it is a GOOD thing to require an able-bodied person, without children, to get some sort of job in order to collect food stamps - especially when we are in the midst of a 50-year-low in the unemployment rate? (There is no excuse to be without a job these days....virtually every little retail shop I stopped in at yesterday had "help-wanted" signs, with one advertising hourly rates starting at $11/hr.)

Yes, this is another measure of economic success that the country has enjoyed under the Trump Administration. By virtue of the "full employment" the United States now enjoys, due in large measure to Trump's lowering of corporate tax rates and his removal of onerous regulations, people are now able to get jobs easily. On top of that, people in the lower brackets have seen their wages increase at 3x the rate of those in the upper brackets, and those in the traditionally higher groups of unemployment, blacks and Latinos, are enjoying record-low unemployment.

P.S. I was a business owner myself, and YES.....I did built that!

https://dailycaller.com/2019/09/09/a...-stamps-trump/
Another clueless Trumpie giving Trump credit for something that started long before Trump took office.

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...Psummary-2.pdf

Food stamp participation peaked back in 2013 and has been falling ever since. And it's still twice the level it was around 2000.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
Quote:
Except.....you have a job, at least, even if it is dead-end.
Maybe but I hate my job and my state so I would love a relocation program. Why should it only be available for unemployed people? Shouldn't we have one for the underemployed too? I don't even know why I work. It doesn't help me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies