Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
A big difference between radical liberals/communists and everyone else is their desire to punish dissent.

Commical. You are REALLY going to try to make this point with Trump in office?

Ask Sonland about his reward for telling the truth
Ask Mitt
Ask Hillary (Trump wanted to lock her up for no crimes found)
Ask the Lady-ambassador to Ukraine, who's name I can't recall right now.
Ask ANYONE who has dared to tell the truth in the face of his lies.

Yes, there is a difference. But it does not reflect nearly as poorly on the left as it does the Trump Admin and his base. (Note: I did not say all conservatives, there's still a few good ones out there.)

Somebody would have to be way off their meds to try to make the case that punishing dissent has a liberal bias in this day and age. I really feel like I've seen it all now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Ask Mitt

Yes, there is a difference. But it does not reflect nearly as poorly on the left as it does the Trump Admin and his base. (Note: I did not say all conservatives, there's still a few good ones out there.)

Somebody would have to be way off their meds to try to make the case that punishing dissent has a liberal bias in this day and age. I really feel like I've seen it all now....
I don't see any legal or law enforcement activities in any the examples you provided.

Truth is questionable at best in the examples as well.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:46 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Too bad the article didn't talk about the other side of the issue.

That Trump just signed legislation that punishes colleges for allowing the anti-Israel BDS movement to flourish on campus.

Which is also an attack on our free speech.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:59 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
A big difference between radical liberals/communists and everyone else is their desire to punish dissent.

Criminalizing Dissent

Louis Shenker, a 21-year-old junior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, just wanted his MAGA hat back from the graduate student who ripped it off his head on campus. He wore the hat to a December 6, 2018 protest organized by the university’s graduate student union against Trump and local police. Video shows that when Louis, who is 5’6’’ and 140 pounds, arrived wearing the MAGA hat and holding a large sign, he was immediately surrounded by a hostile mob of older grad students cursing at him and calling him a white supremacist. A woman lunged from the mob and snatched Louis’s MAGA hat.
A month later, Louis was horrified to recognize the woman who stole his MAGA hat as Beth Peller, a 36-year-old grad student who would be teaching his mandatory freshman writing class.
On November 12, 2019, Louis found himself sitting behind Beth Peller at an anti-Israel event, called Criminalizing Dissent, organized by the head of his university’s communications department, Professor Sut Jhally. Featuring Linda Sarsour and terrorism supporter Omar Barghouti, who was skyped in from Ramallah, the event promoted the anti-Semitic Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel.

The account details Shenker's ordeal all the way through the court system.

Here's the summary.

We believe that more malicious prosecutions like Louis’s are likely; brought, at first, in progressive enclaves like Northampton where the far left holds real political power. Much as occurred in the Jim Crow South, authorities in such places are increasingly choosing to enforce their political ideology instead of the rule of law entrusted to them. The American left these days is unable to accept defeat under fair rules of play, whether in elections or in judicial proceedings. To avoid defeat, leftists will continue searching for ways to criminalize dissent. Indeed, Beth Peller’s attorney argued to the court in Northampton that defamation and offensive speech can and should be criminalized. This is a dangerous trend, and is becoming one of the major civil rights issues of our time.

I think you have that backward. It's the GOP that's pursuing dissenters. You can see for yourself Trump's moves to revenge himself on anyone who has gone against him, and you must know how the GOP kept senators in line by threats.

You have one example here, but we all can list many examples from from Trump alone: Romney, Vindman, Sondland, Yovanovitch, McCabe, Bharara, and many others.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:00 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Ask Mitt

Sondland provided assumptions and speculation that were in direct contradiction with his actual conversations with the president.

Mitt Romney is a never Trumper with bizarre rationale for his senate vote, and just a downright creepy dude. And funny, one of his top former advisors sat on the Burisma board.

Hillary Clinton would never be charged by Comeys FBI. Or prosecuted by the media. The Foundation was obviously graft and corruption. Why do you think she had a private server?

Blah blah blah. That ambassador wanted Trump impeached. To hell with her. And to hell with your partisan version of "truth".

But lets get real. Corruption in politics is american as apple pie. I support Trump because his policies echo my own beliefs, its time to put the brakes on immigration and trade issues. If Trump just happens to infuriate leftists, well thats gravy.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
The student has been treated very unfairly
Why do people pay $130 a unit to attend these indoctrination centers you can get it free in red china

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-17-2020 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think you have that backward. It's the GOP that's pursuing dissenters. You can see for yourself Trump's moves to revenge himself on anyone who has gone against him, and you must know how the GOP kept senators in line by threats.

You have one example here, but we all can list many examples from from Trump alone: Romney, Vindman, Sondland, Yovanovitch, McCabe, Bharara, and many others.
No, those aren't examples. They did not "dissent". They usurped.

They (except Sondland) have exercised power that legally and rightfully belonged to someone else. They all violated the rights of others (except Sondland). Trump, in fact, is the dissenter objecting to these people's wrongful exercise of power.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 02-17-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies