Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 03:51 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And they also support a 52% tax rate. So let me get this straight someone who would be making $15 hour
and then have to pay 52% tax rate under Bernies plan...would leave him with a net of $7.20 hour.

If I’m not mistaken the federal minimum wage is $7.25. So how would someone making minimum wage be better off under crazy Bernies plan?

Your math is way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 08:52 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
I just still worry about inflation. If everyone is making the same amount then you would think that costs of goods would have to go up to compensate for the increase in salaries. It just seems like a basic conclusion to me. If you're earning...say 500 more a month then 500 more dollars a month cost on goods/services and that might be bare minimum because maybe you have to count for everyone's salary which means 500 x thousands or more of people.

I'd love to think differently but I'm not sure how it makes sense to increase salary without increasing the cost of living. The above is just an estimate I was never good at economic reasoning but I do know critical thinking so I know in general the more you have the more the world is going to expect.

I think someone explained once why inflation was not going to happen but it wasn't easy for me to comprehend. It's one of those things that I have to see to believe.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:58 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
The best thing a President Sanders could do for us is unite the Republicans and Democrats in Congress to curtail the powers of the executive branch, instead of being the sniveling sycophants of the same it's largely been for decades.

And for that reason, and that reason alone, I'm warming up to the idea of a President Bernie Sanders. Really.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:04 AM

839 posts, read 734,665 times
On the other hand, if Trump has his way, he will set the Minimum Age to 15.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:21 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The best thing a President Sanders could do for us is unite the Republicans and Democrats in Congress to curtail the powers of the executive branch, instead of being the sniveling sycophants of the same it's largely been for decades.

And for that reason, and that reason alone, I'm warming up to the idea of a President Bernie Sanders. Really.
Trump should have done this already but the R's are all spineless.. Get a D with too much power as president.. I think they'd divide easier. The primary is kind of showing this already as is.. Both parties have major flaws in them for having so much power

Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM

29,457 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
And they also support a 52% tax rate. So let me get this straight someone who would be making $15 hour
and then have to pay 52% tax rate under Bernies plan...would leave him with a net of $7.20 hour.

If I’m not mistaken the federal minimum wage is $7.25. So how would someone making minimum wage be better off under crazy Bernies plan?
According to this, up until $38,700 it's only a 12% tax rate. Take a look at the $250k and up bracket though. The ones that most likely employ those minimum wage workers. 40% rate and it just goes up from there.

This isn't a calculator right from Bernie's site, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.bernietax.com/#0;0;s

Old 02-18-2020, 06:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Quote:

Oh -- this explains many of your posts.
You don't get it -- lol. oops

So I'm not a big Sanders supporter but Sanders does not support a 52% tax rate for someone making minimum wage. That simple.

So your confusion, concerns are based on misinformation.

oops.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:51 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
The GOP wants no min wage
The left wants $15+

neither of those is a good idea. NO one believes in balance between the interests of the uber and the rest.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:54 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
Ummmm you know that $7.25 is taxed, yeah? So they aren't bringing home $7.25. Right? You do understand that?
Also, you do understand that right now they are making $7.25 and they have to pay health insurance, where as if Bernie got his plan, their health care would be covered.

I would say nice try, but it really wasn't.
I don't think he understands much, but he never comments on all the threads he starts, a 'hit and run' poster.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
I kind of like Bernie as a person because he is probably an okay guy, but a little warning about his ideas. He wants to take on the energy sector (big oil and the like). Hmm, the last time a president tried to do that was Carter. Again, Carter is a super great human, but do we really want to go back to that kind of mess in our country? Nice people aren't always the best leaders. Bernie would be a disaster. If you want your 401k to drop like a rock, vote for Bernie. Guess I could become a short seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies