Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 12:19 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The bigger issue is that they are instilling paranoia and trauma into millions of young children. Our new neighbors in Florida, a young family from out of state, was somewhat freaked out that her 7 and 10 year olds are being subjected to so much "training" in schools about being killed or shot at.

This is a very sad thing. We will only be able to measure the effect after a couple decades of it.
I got caught in the back end of nuclear war turned earthquake training. This generation too will survive active shooter drills

Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seems like someone is REALLY reaching to make a story.
Not really. New law, - new problem.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FL schools are notoriously underfunded.

So they're probably having the same problem that every other place paying low wages has in a strong employment environment.

You should go check out who works minimum wage nursing home jobs when the economy gets good....there is a reason why assaults of patients, thefts and so forth spike higher.
They are also under-attended. They are talking about closing 20 schools in Broward county alone because they are only 50-60% attended. Fortunately the inner city high school near our house is on the list of schools to be closed. We have seen enough vandalism and drug use from them.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
I learned to shoot by watching Gunsmoke, The Rifleman and . . . a lot of others.
I learned shooting paper targets and pine pods with my air-rifle as a little boy.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They are also under-attended. They are talking about closing 20 schools in Broward county alone because they are only 50-60% attended. Fortunately the inner city high school near our house is on the list of schools to be closed. We have seen enough vandalism and drug use from them.
Wow. - the snow birds have bought up all the homes as well as the Chinese I bet. They buy live in it 6 mo and some times leave for years. Does nothing for the economy.

Old 02-20-2020, 03:31 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
I learned shooting paper targets and pine pods with my air-rifle as a little boy.
An acquaintance in Helena purchased from the ACME company an air driven BB machine gun, and plastered all of the glass on all of the insurance companies one late nite. He used a pressured oxygen tank in the back of his pick-up truck.

It was a year later that he told me it was him (he). He had some kind of a hate reason for insurance companies.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Wow. - the snow birds have bought up all the homes as well as the Chinese I bet. They buy live in it 6 mo and some times leave for years. Does nothing for the economy.
No, that is not the reason.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:33 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Sniping sparrows, pigeons, gophers and jack rabbits on the spread for me. Pest control was part of my chore list. With practice on soda cans and whatever other flotsam was handy. That was for sighting in.

My Dad taught me young. Those were the good old days. Where the deputies cruising the rural roads would see a young lad with a rifle or shotgun on his back walking or on a bicycle and stop to see how the hunting was.

I was 12 when I was allowed to go out by myself with an actual cartridge firearm. Before that I had to go stalking in the desert and pastures with my Crossman 760 and before that my Daisy. Which was not a Red Rider. But it was just as good.

Now, there is a highly relevant point to be made with these anecdotes. There is a big shortage of people like us who grew up with shooting and handling firearms and other projectile launchers. Like BB guns, air rifles and wrist rockets even. A wrist rocket is a lethal tool. Plumb lethal.

During both WW1, 2, Korea and Vietnam recruits going into service had high numbers of guys who already knew how to shoot and handle a weapon. That was our unique American tradition. This tradition has become seriously diluted with contaminants.

Those of us who grew up with the uncensored Bugs Bunny Road Runner hour on Saturday morning followed by hanging out with Daisy or Crossman are sadly a minority now. Outdoor skills and just going out and getting filthy dirty makes parents panic now. WTF?

I fondly remember a time I belly slithered with my Crossman through the sagebrush to within 10 feet of 2 Magpies that were working on a dead jack rabbit. And zapping one with a head shot. They never had a clue I was there. That was a good 200 yard crawl. Best stalk I've ever done. And I was full of sand, tumbleweed stickers, goat head you name it.

That way of life is gone for all but a few kids. And has been for a while. And it shows in today's adults. Like the ones that are the subject here. What we used to consider plumb stupid has even become trendy these days.

Like these sucker punch game you tube nonsense. I just read about another going around called the "skull cracker challenge". It literally involves trying to crack your skull. It's no wonder society is turning out imbecils like are the subject here.

Stupidity has become fashionable. Again.. WTF!!??

Old 02-20-2020, 05:40 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Not off to a very good start......

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...g2a-story.html

A safe-school officer hired to protect children stood in front of a mirror, clutched her gun for practice and pulled the trigger of what she thought was an unloaded weapon. The gun fired and sent a bullet through the mirror.

At another school, an officer on her lunch break slipped into a school bathroom and filmed a nude video of herself for her husband.

One officer pawned his service weapon, pistol flashlight and ballistic vest and was then found patrolling his school with a pellet gun in his holster.
those notifications raise a question that leaders should be asking themselves: Do enough qualified armed guards exist to meet the state’s mandate that a “good guy with a gun” be stationed on every campus?
"those notifications raise a question that leaders should be asking themselves: Do enough qualified armed guards exist to meet the state’s mandate that a “good guy with a gun” be stationed on every campus??

Nice of you to IGNORE the HUNDREDS, if not thousands of armed people in schools that have, some for a long time, NOT experienced any of these things.

Did you qualify for driving in the Indy 500 the FIST time you sat behind the wheel of a car?

Old 02-20-2020, 05:44 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've had my share of experiences with people who carrying a firearm for their job that should not be allowed anything sharper than a Crayon. Both in armed security and law enforcement as well.

Also with people who had been issued a CCW that was given a passing grade from a "firearms instruction school" and how I couldn't see.

As a firearms instructor myself I sure would t have passed them. The levels of complete ineptitude I have seen in all three of the above have often shocked me.

Then there are reports such h as the link in the OP, along with firsthand accounts from people who have seen their peers do such stupid things involving their duty weapons and it makes me quite glad to be on the outside looking in for LE and armed security.

I'm not adverse at all to the idea of tightening training and qualification standards for the carrying of a firearm either in a job or for CCW defensive purposes.

The course I instruct in will not hesitate to fail a student but there are a lot of shake n bake courses out there that will pass anyone.

And people who believe that LE personnel are "highly trained" and competent beyond reproach just because of a uniform and a badge need to think again. Most are not.

I've seen firsthand things very much like the incidents in the link and it is scary when you think about it. People can be so stupid and still manage to land a job that involves carrying a firearm.

But I suppose the same is true of a lot of job fields where lives are on the line. The medical profession, heavy equipment operations, power plant workers, all sorts of endeavors.

Sadly, that's just the way it is. Always has been.
"I've had my share of experiences with people who carrying a firearm for their job that should not be allowed anything sharper than a Crayon"

I've had my share of experiences with people who drive cars and trucks for their job that should not be allowed anything sharper than a Crayon!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-20-2020 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies