Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 02:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times

Advertisements

We have a considerable number of Canadian working for our company. They have both good and bad reviews of the Canadian health care system. the biggest complaint pertains to specialized care. People from Windsor have to go to Toronto to get certain kinds of care. One lady is moving to the US because her son needs regular specialized care and she cannot keep working and drive to Toronto constantly for appointments. A lot of the Canadians like the system. IF you are sick you go to the doctor and get a prescription. No cost. No hassle. No wait other than a day or two. (Similar to here).

I have not heard any complaints about colonoscopy, but I would not be happy if I had to wait 60 days (or even 58 or 59 days. Or twelve days for that matter). I guess we are spoiled.

I do know I have met people from Canada who come over and pay directly for specialty services either because of waiting or because it simply is not offered. I have not encountered such people in the last several years, maybe they got whatever problem caused that resolved.

My understanding of the Canadian private insurance is that it supplements the government medical care- so they can get private hospital rooms, priority for appointments etc. it is not private insurance like we know it. I am pretty sure they do not have $4500 deductibles. I also know a lot of medications are cheaper if you go over to Canada, even after factoring in US insurance.

If they could just control the costs in the USA, the delivery system would not much matter. Without controlling the costs, no delivery system is going to accomplish anything meaningful.

No one has any plan to control the costs. At least no meaningful workable plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 02:48 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have a considerable number of Canadian working for our company. They have both good and bad reviews of the Canadian health care system. the biggest complaint pertains to specialized care. People from Windsor have to go to Toronto to get certain kinds of care. One lady is moving to the US because her son needs regular specialized care and she cannot keep working and drive to Toronto constantly for appointments. A lot of the Canadians like the system. IF you are sick you go to the doctor and get a prescription. No cost. No hassle. No wait other than a day or two. (Similar to here).

I have not heard any complaints about colonoscopy, but I would not be happy if I had to wait 60 days (or even 58 or 59 days. Or twelve days for that matter). I guess we are spoiled.

I do know I have met people from Canada who come over and pay directly for specialty services either because of waiting or because it simply is not offered. I have not encountered such people in the last several years, maybe they got whatever problem caused that resolved.

My understanding of the Canadian private insurance is that it supplements the government medical care- so they can get private hospital rooms, priority for appointments etc. it is not private insurance like we know it. I am pretty sure they do not have $4500 deductibles. I also know a lot of medications are cheaper if you go over to Canada, even after factoring in US insurance.

If they could just control the costs in the USA, the delivery system would not much matter. Without controlling the costs, no delivery system is going to accomplish anything meaningful.

No one has any plan to control the costs. At least no meaningful workable plan.
Private insurance does not get you priority appointments.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,385,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My relative was put on a 6 months wait list for a life threatening condition. She had it taken care of in France before that. Once there the French told her it had gotten way worse. I myself was looking for a treatment which is not offered here at all, I am planning to pay for it next time I go to the States.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:13 PM

17,613 posts, read 13,401,998 times
From MrsM's old boss, a world renowned surgeon:

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Totally true. I was in NHS in England for 6 months, which gives me some insight others don’t have. Here is what is wrong with medicare for all and NHS, England and Canada:

These are built on top of a widely divergent two tiered system. It is the worst case of haves and have nots as told by you in your story.

Canadians and the English are docile sheep who are willing to Q up all day. Americans are impatient and would not put up with it. The ultimate difference is not the care that is rendered or the cost, it is the people who have to take it, Americans.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:18 PM

17,613 posts, read 13,401,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
philosophical topics from an American conservative or right-wing perspective.

The bias is blatant. He also blankets Canada as having ONE system where everything is the same, which is false.

His comment about ultrasound clinics not being open on weekends is misleading, and frankly not true. I'm sure it's like the US, some will be some won't. That alone should give you pause into the accuracy of the video and the video's intentions.

These two US ones aren't, the one I went to, is.
And your leftie MSNBC, CNN,ABC, NBC,N CBS, etc aren't biased???????????????

As for the Oregon clinics, those are stand alone centers closed on the weekends. Every hosp in the US has facilities open every weekend

Nice try

Old 03-09-2020, 04:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The govt hates competition. Especially don't want people to find out how good and fast private care is compared to govt run.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...DgD0fasdkjkGaQ
A think tank speculates about Fill in the Blank. Imagine that.

You seem to confuse the Canadian Single Payer Model with public healthcare.

Most healthcare in Canada is provided by the private sector.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:38 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,604,280 times
Right now, Canada is the only high-income country with universal health coverage that bans its citizens from purchasing private insurance for anything deemed "medically necessary." "Medicare for all" would make the U.S. the second.
Supporters of the ban claim it preserves equitable access to care. Wealthy Canadians can't use private insurance to pay for faster access to care.

those poor neglected wealthy Canadians lol

Old 03-09-2020, 04:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

As for the Oregon clinics, those are stand alone centers closed on the weekends. Every hosp in the US has facilities open every weekend

Nice try
Oh right; like every American hospital is performing colonoscopies every weekend and like every Canadian hospital closes down for the weekends. Nice try!

Some people need reminding: How long do you think any of these folks wait for ANY type of pre-emptive healthcare ? https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...th/3245179002/

OH wait; they can count on these showing up ONCE A YEAR: https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...nsured/503635/

https://www.ramusa.org/clinic-schedu...oaAj2eEALw_wcB 800,000over 34 years of a whole bunch going without - with people lining up in parking lots and fields days in advance just to see some kind, ANY kind of medical practitioner.

By the by, ya think they do colonoscopies in the backs of those vans?

More of you are DYING per year due to no medical care whatsoever than the entirety of Canadians waiting for a single facet of care.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,385,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A think tank speculates about Fill in the Blank. Imagine that.

You seem to confuse the Canadian Single Payer Model with public healthcare.

Most healthcare in Canada is provided by the private sector.
But they are not for profit and funded by the government. For profit private clinics were even BANNED not long ago.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Nice try
Media does have bias, but media is not the same as so called " think tanks ", such as PragerU.

Media is also much more accountable. If they publish or broadcast a blatant falsehood, they retract. Think tanks do not have to, and don't.

The fact that PragerU can put out a video with falsehoods, and never have to retract those falsehoods, makes it propaganda.

As for Ultra sounds, the point was the video stated a falsehood about ultra sounds not being available in Canada on weekends. Why make a video and state that when it easily provable not to be true? I know why Because too many people just accept things they want to believe. This is especially proven to be true, when it comes to the opponent of UHC.

I can only assume you moving the goal posts about ultra sounds in hospitals, is to try and say that they aren't open in hospitals in Canada on the weekends? Pretty sure all imaging is available for emergency cases in both countries. Still, I chose a random hospital to see if I could book an appointment for a non-emergency ultra sound. Victoria General here in BC is open on Saturday and Sunday for ultra sounds.
Here the link for the non-emergency imaging hours at that hospital.

https://www.islandhealth.ca/our-loca...edical-imaging

If people don't have the sense to see blatant propaganda, versus media bias, then there is no helping them.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-09-2020 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies