Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 05:49 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The charge everyone so much they can do that.

LOL.
Perhaps, but I've never heard of a hospital, even the Catholic hospitals, doing this.

Generally, they have an office devoted to helping the less fortunate get on Medicaid. Then Medicaid, i.e. taxpayers, foot the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 05:56 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Seriously ill indigent Americans do have access to health care. My friend, who was poor, came down with stage 4 cancer. The local hospital covered cost of his treatment. Had it not, he probably would have lived only two more months. Thanks to that, his life was prolonged by a year and a half before he died. Had he not had a stroke he would likely still be alive and getting cancer treatment.
Thats not the reality in most cases. If you are seriously ill, you cant just beg the hospital to cover treatment costs and they'll do it. You just have to die after begging people for $200 000 and coming up short. Its pretty crazy that it is considered "moderate" and "centrist" to support this status quo and radical to put an end to this abominable practice.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:57 AM

Hospitals are required by law to provide emergency treatment. There is some taxpayer-funded reimbursement for emergency care. Also, taxpayers pick up the cost of hospital dialysis.

But cancer treatment, rotator cuff surgery, knee replacements, ... you better have insurance or a payment plan set up.

Cancer treatment is not cheap. That odds that hospitals can or would pick up the cost of cancer treatment for this without insurance is pretty remote.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Perhaps, but I've never heard of a hospital, even the Catholic hospitals, doing this.

Generally, they have an office devoted to helping the less fortunate get on Medicaid. Then Medicaid, i.e. taxpayers, foot the bill.
Thats often not the case. If you earn more than $250 a month, you cant get Medicaid in plenty of states. Thats right. $250 a month. You basically have to starve in the gutter in those states to get it.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:01 AM

The most I've ever heard of is dipping into a charity fund to over prt off the cost of some procedure with the expectation that the rest will be paid by the patient.

If it is not, the remaining oil is generally turned over to a collection agency. People have been sent to jail over not showing up every three months to expalin that they still can't pay the $100K+ hospital bill.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Can’t handle the truth!
The truth is that if you tried to take away Canada's, or any of these countries universal healthcare, you'd have chaos on your hands. Granted, people love to complain, but just try taking it away.

My recent boss was a hard-core MAGA conservative, originally from England. He used to love to chide me about anything liberal, but every time I pressed him on healthcare, he had to admit he was baffled why ANYONE would want our system. He did complain about problems in the British system, but when challenged always had to admit it was light-years better than what we have, and said he'd fight to keep it, if faced with going toward a US-style system.

My boss after him was Canadian. He was not a MAGA conservative, but said the exact same thing.

Canadians looking for US-Style insurance is certainly not the majority. It is anecdotal at best.

So yeah, "fake news".

Old 02-21-2020, 06:04 AM

"Fraser Institute" is think tank in Canada funded by a few super rich individuals in order to spread propaganda. Its no different than Heritage Foundation and similar organizations.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats often not the case. If you earn more than $250 a month, you cant get Medicaid in plenty of states. Thats right. $250 a month. You basically have to starve in the gutter in those states to get it.
Depends on the state.

In Minnesota, Medicaid (MNCare) can be arranged fairly quickly for someone without the funds to cover a needed hospital procedure. MNCare even covers dental care. I've known people to haul relatives up from Florida to get dental care in Minnesota.

In North Carolina, it is a different story. Medicaid is far more difficult to obtain, and they do not participate in ACA. If you make more than $11K+ you can sign up for health insurance under the federal exchange. If you don't make that much, you are SOL. As far as I'm aware, there is no medical insurance coverage via Medicaid for anyone but children and those on disability.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:15 AM

In Minnesota, if you are disabled and unable to work, you can get a stipend (used to be around $400/month), MNCare, subsidized housing, food stamps, ... while you wait for disability determination to be made. It's not a great living, but you won't starve or freeze to death.

Many people from Wisconsin who get injured and are unable to work, move to Minnesota for this very reason.

I used to do diabetes screenings for Walgreens in MN and WI. Never once came across anyone who had diabetes and was not getting medical care in MN. Every single WI clinic had half a dozen people or so who had diabetes yet not on insulin because of the cost. They came to the screening to get their blood tested.

It was so sad. They were hoping things didn't worse and knew they would eventually pay the price.

In fact, we would all pay the price as eventually many would end up disabled and on SSDI, etc.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Seriously ill indigent Americans do have access to health care. My friend, who was poor, came down with stage 4 cancer. The local hospital covered cost of his treatment. Had it not, he probably would have lived only two more months. Thanks to that, his life was prolonged by a year and a half before he died. Had he not had a stroke he would likely still be alive and getting cancer treatment.
How sad. There are way too many stories like this in the US -- one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies