Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 05:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
But they are not for profit and funded by the government. For profit private clinics were even BANNED not long ago.
They are non-profit, but depending on the clinic, they may or may not be funded by the government, as far as I know. It's not really something Canadians think about.

So I looked up who owns them, a clinic near me, and one further out in the burbs. Both came up with the name of the a doctor. So I'm assuming, that they do not get government funding. A doctor has set up a practice, and runs it. Doctors save money by having a few sharing the costs. They surely make enough to do that, and again, assuming, without government funding.

Perhaps someone with first hand knowledge can pipe up, as it seems difficult to find online.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-09-2020 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 05:27 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The govt hates competition. Especially don't want people to find out how good and fast private care is compared to govt run.
Fallacy.

There is no wait for ordinary medical care in Canada. There is a wait for elective surgery. The SAME as the wait for elective surgery in the USA.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
From MrsM's old boss, a world renowned surgeon:
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Totally true. I was in NHS in England for 6 months, which gives me some insight others don’t have. Here is what is wrong with medicare for all and NHS, England and Canada:

These are built on top of a widely divergent two tiered system. It is the worst case of haves and have nots as told by you in your story.

Canadians and the English are docile sheep who are willing to Q up all day. Americans are impatient and would not put up with it. The ultimate difference is not the care that is rendered or the cost, it is the people who have to take it, Americans

Yeah those docile Canadians and Brit sheep putting up with something yielding better results and EVERYONE being covered; notwithstanding the above is total bullcrap, how does it compare to these people not putting up with any of that chit: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/1-...-it-2017-06-06

A full 25% of your population DENYING THEMSELVES needed medical care - Whoa nelly!

Who are the sheep being fleeced again?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:08 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They are non-profit, but depending on the clinic, they may or may not be funded by the government, as far as I know. It's not really something Canadians think about.

So I looked up who owns them, a clinic near me, and one further out in the burbs. Both came up with the name of the a doctor. So I'm assuming, that they do not get government funding. A doctor has set up a practice, and runs it. Doctors save money by having a few sharing the costs. They surely make enough to do that, and again, assuming, without government funding.

Perhaps someone with first hand knowledge can pipe up, as it seems difficult to find online.
Although many physicians maintain a self-employed, one-physician private practice (with a small staff to handle billing the government, keeping medical records, etc.), it's quite common for a group of physicians to form a for-profit partnership or an LLC. They can share resources (for example, one receptionist for all, instead of one receptionist for each, one medical records keeper, etc.), and get economy-of-scale pricing on supplies, rent, etc.; much like a law firm operates. But as businesses, they are definitely for-profit; the closest they come to government funding is billing the government for procedures performed. Secondhand knowledge, I'm afraid, but as my ex-wife was a medical professional in one, I think my knowledge is pretty sound.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I wasn't comparing anything, just sharing my experience.

no you just came here to brag or gloat about your health insurance plan.
When you EARN your own way on life, you'll understand that not everyone get's stuff handed to them

Old 03-09-2020, 07:31 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
I didn't say whether he was right or wrong, just ran across it and thought I would put it here, thanks for responding.
What do you even care for? You've never had a problem with your health insurance, so why do you care about Canada?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:34 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
If Americans choose socialized medicine and then decide their ration of medical services is not a good value for them. Too bad. You gave up your self-determination and there's no turning back. You'll be paying that hefty tax until you drop over dead.
What hefty tax are you talking about?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Meh... Overall, we rate PragerU Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of propaganda, the use of poor sources who have failed fact checks and the publication of misleading information regarding immigration and climate change.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/prageru/

Old 03-09-2020, 08:11 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
"Although almost all Canadians believe hospitals are publicly owned and accountable institutions, under provincial legislation 95% operate on a non-profit basis. Most of Canada's approximately 850 hospitals are owned and operated by non-profit, voluntary organizations."

Source : Canadian Women Health Network

Profit or Non-Profit: Are Hospitals Selling Out? | Canadian Women's Health Network

Old 03-10-2020, 03:02 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
"Although almost all Canadians believe hospitals are publicly owned and accountable institutions, under provincial legislation 95% operate on a non-profit basis. Most of Canada's approximately 850 hospitals are owned and operated by non-profit, voluntary organizations."

Source : Canadian Women Health Network

Profit or Non-Profit: Are Hospitals Selling Out? | Canadian Women's Health Network
So?

"Almost all" doesn't indicate what percentage of Canadians believe this, though I will grant that "almost all" indicates that it is over 50%. I know, as do many Canadians, that hospitals are private, non-profit corporations, or they are operated by religious societies, also as non-profits. Regardless, their staff are paid by revenues (charitable, or by pay-for-procedure government billing, or by government grants). Physicians have input into the fee schedule for procedures, and unions make sure that support staff are paid well. The non-profit hospital board of directors (without government intervention) prepares the annual budget, and any profit left over at the end of the year is plowed back into the hospital.

I should note that pretty much all physicians in Canada are (if we ignore altrustic reasons) in it for the money. Hospitals are non-profits, but physicians, whether sole practitioners or in a partnership or LLC, are private businesspeople whose livelihood depends on how many procedures they perform, whether in a hospital or outside of it. Physicians, and any partnerships/LLCs they may form, are not non-profits; they want to make as much as they can in order to pay their overhead, and make a personal profit besides. Without profiting, how else could they afford golf vacations in Florida, or vacation trips to Australia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies