Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 06:35 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Probably because we have a bigger population. U.S.-330+ million Canada-37 million.
They count deaths per 100,000, so the population difference is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
They count deaths per 100,000, so the population difference is meaningless.
It could be the way the statistics are calculated. The US calls any death within a year of giving birth as a childbirth death. The WHO says 42 days. I don't know what Canada's definition is.
https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...dmortality.htm
https://www.who.int/healthinfo/stati...lmortality/en/

Old 02-18-2020, 07:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Probably because we have a bigger population. U.S.-330+ million Canada-37 million.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:06 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Do you understand what statistics are? Per 100,000?
My bad I didn't read the link just going by what was stated in the post.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Once again Americans who think they know telllng folks who know about the system. Don't worry I get as frustrated with Canadians telling me what living in the USA is like. FIRST and most overlooked -- Canada's system of health care is not a NATIONAL one. Each province runs its health care system and has different ways of funding/etc. But reality -- yes everyone has health care coverage in Canada.

First.....There is private insurance in Canada/ Always has been. It covers pharmaceuticals, dental and other costs not covered by the standard health care offered in each Province.

Second......sure Canadians will support a system that allows options. Doesn't mean that Canadians want to get rid of the existing health care system.

Third....wait times. Wait times aren't for life threatening or even critical medical emergencies -- and like the USA is dependent on resources. Some geographical areas -- no wait times -- other may have wait times. If you don't think wait times in the USA don't exist - -you are fortunate. There are people in certain communities that have to wait for services in the USA.

AND lastly, what's important.....

43 per cent of Canadians give their health care system a grade of A or B.

Only 21 per cent of Americans give their health care system a grade of A or B

That says it all.
Not questioning the numbers, but wondering where you got them. When I do a quick Google, the percentage of Canadians approving of the system, ( which is a slightly different question than grading it ) is over 82 percent.

https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/...c-health-care/

or even higher

"A 2016 report by the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada found that 88 percent of Canadians, one of the highest proportions of the population among G7 countries, indicated that they "had good or very good health"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Canada

The support for a national Pharmacare program are high as well. Another indicator that Canadian like healthcare to be universal.

"(Ottawa) – According to a new poll conducted jointly by Heart & Stroke and the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions (CFNU), 93% of people in Canada feel that it’s important for everyone in Canada to have equal access to prescription drugs. The majority – 88% – also believe that it is the responsibility of the federal government to ensure it happens."

https://www.heartandstroke.ca/what-w...for-pharmacare

Old 02-20-2020, 10:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It has been explained over and over and over again to you that the private insurance DOES not and is NOT ALLOWED to cover anything within the already existing provisions of single payer.

Private insurance exists to cover only those things NOT provided for in Single payer. Caps, crowns, certain pharma, out of country travel would be examples of those.

Now let's head on over to examples of your system you will not read anywhere on Canadian boards:

//www.city-data.com/forum/health-insurance/

Go ahead and peruse years worth of threads created for the sole purpose of scathingly critiquing your fubarred system, or at the very least, pleading for some help in navigating it's miasma of dead ends..

Here's the deal; not even one Canadian has ever suggested duplicating the U.S. system as a political platform BUT how many Americans are, and have been for some time, suggesting duplicating single payer or universal H/C?

Canadians will keep what they've got and Americans can keep theirs without constantly referring to Canada. Easy Peazy?
You missed a few " overs ". I'm pretty sure I've explained that to them at least 3 times.

They'll be back with the same misinformation....but on a new thread.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:49 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Third....wait times. Wait times aren't for life threatening or even critical medical emergencies
It's well known that every year many Canadian patients die while waiting for life saving treatment. Some go the US to save their lives.

A relative needed to have emergency surgery for a life threatening condition. She was put on a wait list, 3 months later no news. She flew to France as she is a dual citizen and immediately had surgery there. The French doctors could not believe that she put on a wait list by the Canadian doctors. When they operated her they found her condition had worsened by 50% : she could have died at any time.

I was put on a 5 year wait list to be assigned a doctor. Fortunately it "only" took 18 months. She has so many patients she could not wait to be done with my "examination" and move on to the next one. I tried to get another doctor but it's against the rules.

I know many people here so unhappy with this system (that we pay for with our high taxes).

The Canadian system is inefficient this is just the plain truth. The French system is one of the best but costs way more than what France can actually afford. I don't think it is possible to reach perfection for a healthcare system but the American one has more merits than the Canadian one.

The problem is in Canada healthcare is much more an ideological issue than a practical one. So many Canadians are indoctrinated with the idea that healthcare must be socialized because this supposedly reflects Canadian values, they miss the point entirely : the goal should be to give access to those who pay for it, it should not be to enforce some political ideology.

Last edited by Sorel36; 02-20-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-20-2020, 11:02 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
The Canadian system is inefficient this is just the plain truth. The French system is one of the best but costs way more than what France can actually afford. I don't think it is possible to reach perfection for a healthcare system but the American one has more merits than the Canadian one.
The US system is considerably less efficient. Way more bureaucratic overhead, way more resources spent on administration and less on treatment. That's not even debatable.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:03 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
the goal should be to give access to it to those who you pay for it...
How about access to healthcare for the sick? Is that a revolutionary idea?

Old 02-20-2020, 11:06 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How about access to healthcare for the sick? Is that a revolutionary idea?
This might come as a suprise, but you do not have the right to take someone's money by force to give it to somebody else. If you dislike everything American so much, why don't you fly back to Denmark where the system reflects your values ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies