Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I’ve noticed it, but do we need a law against it?

Seems to me that conservatives cannot stand it if they aren’t enraged about something.
what a hilarious statement coming from a poster who rages 24/7 about white male heterosexual christians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 02:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I don't mind referring to transgender by their preferred pronouns. I'll call Rupaul a "she" if that what he wants.

But what's changing is now everybody is being pressured to specify what their pronouns are. Some think it's no longer polite to assume what gender a person is so everyone should specify what "their pronouns" are. Look at people's Linkedin profiles. Regular folks are specifying their pronouns next to their title.

Nobody who is not transgender should be specifying their pronouns.

That's crazy. The whole world does not have to change to accommodate transgender people.
I am not going to wear myself out trying to keep track of the "pronouns" of every person I meet. If I can remember their name, that is pretty good, and quite frankly all the effort on this subject that I am willing to make.

Anyone who tries to insist that their "pronouns" be remembered and properly recited at all times needs to get professional help.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
What is the percentage of Trans people in this country? 1 percent or less I think it is. Why is such a disparate amount of attention given to such a small sliver of American society, I mean I'm not mad about it, but it just seems odd to me. When politician do the my pronouns are thing it just feels silly and contrived, I'd probably believe it more coming from someone on street or whatever, but in real life most people aren't going around babbling about the pronouns they prefer.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:22 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618; I’ve noticed it, but do we need a law against it?

Seems to me that conservatives cannot stand it if they aren’t enraged about something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what a hilarious statement coming from a poster who rages 24/7 about white male heterosexual christians
Beat me to it, LOL!!!!

Old 02-18-2020, 02:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Many languages have a neuter gender beside male and female. So if someone doesnt want to be male or female,"it" should be acceptable for the singular.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
I don't mind referring to transgender by their preferred pronouns. I'll call Rupaul a "she" if that what he wants.

But what's changing is now everybody is being pressured to specify what their pronouns are. Some think it's no longer polite to assume what gender a person is so everyone should specify what "their pronouns" are. Look at people's Linkedin profiles. Regular folks are specifying their pronouns next to their title.

Nobody who is not transgender should be specifying their pronouns.

That's crazy. The whole world does not have to change to accommodate transgender people.
Nobody should even be on LinkedIn. It was just another hairbrained social network contrivance, in this case that asked its users to build its business model around their spilling the contents of their Rolodexes and contacts. For public consumption. What? And its sign-ups are like, Duh, okay. It must be okay. Kewl.

And their reward is a free bio entry, for some of those inclined to publications like Who's Who.

Last edited by eastriver; 02-18-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-18-2020, 02:48 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
Academia no longer use gendered language like boyfriend or girlfriend. It's now partner. Likewise do husband and wife.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:54 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm failry liberal in comparison to this site and I recently sat in a sensitivity training session for a college. When the topic of using they, them or 'it' came up I put my foot down. I told the trainer that I would respectfully address someone by their position or relationship to my jo- professor, student, 'end-user,' visitor, etc but that referring to someone as them or it would have gotten me beaten by my parents- my mother in particular. She even acknowledged that those particular pronouns would be fairly disrespectful in a number of settings.

And yet if someone requests to be referred to as "they," it is far more disrespectful to refuse.

I work in a college and have a student who is nonbinary. They use "they" pronouns (and are why I tell people my pronouns - they said that I was the only person they interviewed with for an on-campus job and while they got 6 offers, they chose to work for my office as a result). It was a little weird to wrap my mouth around the first few times I said it, but now it's fine. They would have known I was being deliberately disrespectful if I insisted on referring to them either by name or by their title when I do that with no one else in my office.

It was almost two years before I knew what gender they were assigned at birth - their name is gender-neutral and their appearance, voice, and demeanor are all very androgynous. It doesn't matter to me. What matters is they are one of the hardest working, most talented student workers I've had the privilege of working with. They were also the only student who followed my instructions to include a cover letter with their resume in their application. Positive attitude, willingness to learn, and ability to follow instruction is far more important to me than what gender they identify as.

Recently, a coworker who is in their 40s and has worked at my institution for almost 10 years requested that we use "they" pronouns. They had done so privately for many years, but seeing so many of us show our support by listing our own pronouns in email signatures or in meetings opened the door to allow them to bring that part of them to work. That's why it matters.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:06 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
if you have to tell me which sex you are, you probably ain't that sex.

I can see which sex you are.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:08 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And yet if someone requests to be referred to as "they," it is far more disrespectful to refuse.

I work in a college and have a student who is nonbinary. They use "they" pronouns (and are why I tell people my pronouns - they said that I was the only person they interviewed with for an on-campus job and while they got 6 offers, they chose to work for my office as a result). It was a little weird to wrap my mouth around the first few times I said it, but now it's fine. They would have known I was being deliberately disrespectful if I insisted on referring to them either by name or by their title when I do that with no one else in my office.

It was almost two years before I knew what gender they were assigned at birth - their name is gender-neutral and their appearance, voice, and demeanor are all very androgynous. It doesn't matter to me. What matters is they are one of the hardest working, most talented student workers I've had the privilege of working with. They were also the only student who followed my instructions to include a cover letter with their resume in their application. Positive attitude, willingness to learn, and ability to follow instruction is far more important to me than what gender they identify as.

Recently, a coworker who is in their 40s and has worked at my institution for almost 10 years requested that we use "they" pronouns. They had done so privately for many years, but seeing so many of us show our support by listing our own pronouns in email signatures or in meetings opened the door to allow them to bring that part of them to work. That's why it matters.
It's seems like you were conditioned to accept something that you initially thought was ridiculous.

Only people who are LGBT should be specifying their pronouns. If you are the gender that you appear to be, there is no reason to specify your pronoun. This is a trend that is growing. And if people such as yourself continue to do this out of solidarity with trans people, soon it will be considered customary and all professionals will be expected to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies