Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2020, 01:00 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

How does it inconvenience anyone, exactly, to use a preferred pronoun when referring to someone? Does that kind of gesture exceed brain capability? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Yes, I've noticed that pronouns are sometimes specified in higher education today, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I refer to people however they wish and am grateful when they give me a heads up that their identification does not conform to the usual expectations.
Doesn't bother me, either. I'm probably not going to add pronouns to my work e-mail signature unless required as a condition of my employment, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone who wants to underscore their own preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Like gender bending its bending the English language.
If you weren't bending the English language yourself, you wouldn't have neglected to include an apostrophe in a key word in this sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
"Everybody"?

Have you asked "everybody"?

Let me guess: You heard one person do it, probably on TV, and concluded from that that it was everybody.

While not noticing that he was nearly the ONLY guy you'd ever heard doing it.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:17 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Just call everyone "Hey you"

Old 02-19-2020, 01:18 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How does it inconvenience anyone, exactly, to use a preferred pronoun when referring to someone? Does that kind of gesture exceed brain capability? Really?

Doesn't bother me, either. I'm probably not going to add pronouns to my work e-mail signature unless required as a condition of my employment, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone who wants to underscore their own preferences.

If you weren't bending the English language yourself, you wouldn't have neglected to include an apostrophe in a key word in this sentence.
It really doesn't unless someone didn't get the memo and accidentally uses the wrong one...then gets thrown to the wolves for being an intolerant, pronoun hating bigot.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It really doesn't unless someone didn't get the memo and accidentally uses the wrong one...then gets thrown to the wolves for being an intolerant, pronoun hating bigot.

Well there is a difference between mistakenly using the wrong one and intentionally doing it to harass trans students.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Why do you care?

Old 02-19-2020, 01:21 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
I've actually seen this in a few emails. Not many, just two or three. I think it's unnecessary (at least for emailing). When I email people back, I never use third person pronouns (he, she, it), only second person (you) which are neutral and sometimes first person (I, me).

But in the end, I really don't care about that any more than the people who put bible quotes in their email signatures, cheesy inspirational sayings, or a picture of their dog. It's just something people do. Or who knows, maybe it's something their workplace requires because they serve LGQBT clients or something.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How does it inconvenience anyone, exactly, to use a preferred pronoun when referring to someone?
The only people that "proper" pronoun usage seems to inconvenience or otherwise offend, is the people who insist on such silly and irrelevant differences as the OP describes. And that's only a very few fanatical SJWs.... who don't matter. Why pay attention to them?

Quote:
Does that kind of gesture exceed brain capability?
Apparently. The SJWs seem unable to think of anything else, such as WHY they feel we should obey their silliness, while they're on the imaginary-gender-pronoun bandwagon.

Last edited by Roboteer; 02-19-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 01:30 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Well there is a difference between mistakenly using the wrong one and intentionally doing it to harass trans students.
If I see a guy then I will use "him". There's no mistake about what I see.
I wouldn't know if they are a trans person unless they said something ahead of time.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:39 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"Everybody"?

Have you asked "everybody"?

Let me guess: You heard one person do it, probably on TV, and concluded from that that it was everybody.

While not noticing that he was nearly the ONLY guy you'd ever heard doing it.
By "everybody" I meant people who are not transgender are specifying their pronouns - when only transgender people should be doing that.

It's a growing trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies