Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 05:34 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times

Advertisements

the fact this has reached 4 pages is curious. The Olympic Games are in 2028. This is not a front-burner issue at all.

Of course, any non-liberals that think the current laissez faire attitude towards homelessness a disgrace might find it a point of consideration in their vote. Still, he won't win CA and the Electoral votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
JFK signed a FEDERAL MentalHealth Care Act

That went away when he did.

In 1980, Carter signed the aforementioned Mental Health Systems Act, which Ronnie killed when he became president.

Something along those lines would allow for safe housing to the mentally ill, which realistically makes up most of the homeless people in the country.
I think Pelosi and the House would love to pass a bill like that. McConnell and the Senate? I doubt it.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
So what we can do is that we can pull up our big boy pants and create a system to where they can get help and shelter.
It’s not our pants that need pulling up, RR:

Old 02-19-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Oooh, a person who gets off on other people suffering so that he can say "I told you so"

I mean no disrespect to you ma'am or sir, and I totally understand that not everyone is a Christian, but the USA is supposed to be a Christian nation, and as such most of us don't want to sit back and watch mentally disturbed people starve in the streets just to feed our own egos.
Funny thing though, most americans have been doing just that for decades.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
You don't know why they won't.
Just as I dont know if I'll shoot them. It is entirely situational.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Let's jump back on the next trolly that leaves the land of make believe, and then we can get back to reality and talk about how most homeless people aren't choosing to be that. Most need help. So what we can do is that we can pull up our big boy pants and create a system to where they can get help and shelter. Then, we'll see where we are at that point.

If at that point there is still a huge issue with "crazy, addicted people living on the streets who refuse to live by society's rules" then we can figure out what the next step should be, if there needs to be one.

Remember kids, just because you can't solve the entire complex issue doesn't mean you can't take steps to resolves huge portions of it.
you purport that homeless people are routinely turned away from soup kitchens and shelters because they are overcapacity?

Old 02-19-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think Pelosi and the House would love to pass a bill like that. McConnell and the Senate? I doubt it.
well, how many mentally ill people need to be housed? How many of these centers will we have? Will they be voluntary, or we'll be allowed to easily - on well-justified reasoning - commit people? Can they walk out, or must be approved by a panel of consulting psych doctors that they're treated/cured?

Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Actually, Trump hinted he is going to have to fix it because the incompetent democrats cant. I am jsut trying to get someone to explain to me how. What is the plan the conservatives are keeping away from those silly democrats?
Me too. I'm all ears.

So far, what I've heard is -

1) round them up and send them somewhere else (who does the rounding up and under what authority? exactly where is this somewhere else?)
2) Congress passes a law (re)establishing some kind of enhanced national mental health care system (great idea, why will it happen now when it hasn't happened for the past three decades - do you see a giant groundswell of bipartisan support for a massive new federal social safety net program?)
3) government should get out of it, the private sector will take care of it (who's gonna pay the private sector to do it?)

Old 02-19-2020, 05:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to the OP’s link, Ben Carson has the solution. He intends to ask religious institutions all over the country to each “ adopt an LA homeless person”.

Well it can’t hurt and there may even be some takers. But we are taking about 44,000+ mostly male homeless with a boat load of physical and mental health issues and addictions/ alcoholism- people who have thus far expressed no interest in relocation or changing Anything, let alone everything about their lives.
How does anyone know what these people have expressed since becoming homeless? Has someone interviewed them all to find out?

Old 02-19-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, how many mentally ill people need to be housed? How many of these centers will we have? Will they be voluntary, or we'll be allowed to easily - on well-justified reasoning - commit people? Can they walk out, or must be approved by a panel of consulting psych doctors that they're treated/cured?
Good questions.

If this c-d discussion is at all typical of the larger public discussion, we won't get far.

Advocates for the homeless and the mentally ill have lots of numbers, and lots of ideas for what they'd like to see the government do.

Then there are the SCOTUS decisions, going back decades, that limit the government's ability to just round people up and keep them indefinitely.

It is neither easy nor straightforward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies