Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It would seem the real pattern is borne out by life expectancy and maternal and infant mortality.

Those things, at least, are somewhat the result of policies and lifestyles and other inputs.

No doubt the increases in "terrible" diseases are due to the fact that we don't die from one (or war, etc.) earlier.

As the real experts say, after reproduction we are largely useless. That's purely biologically - we still have a lot of social and other uses, but those differ by culture also.

Maybe I am wrong but I think 500 years into the future the leading cause of death will be "they went into the chamber and pushed the button" (decided legally to end it in a peaceful manner). I certainly hope so as the "elder boom" is completely unsustainable given our current systems.
Interesting points. I agree with some of them. My point was that the CODs in these countries are very similar despite their obesity rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 11:00 AM

A little bit about eating disorders (which all this focus on obesity encourages): https://www.ksl.com/article/46719797...rs-in-children

Old 02-22-2020, 11:07 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
But don't you think that it's a president's job to outline his hopes and ideas for the direction that he wants the country to take? Isn't that the whole point of the SOTU address? With someone like LBJ, he probably would have been very persuasive to pass good legislation, like for civil rights.

In a way sure...

But it also serves to take the responsibility off of Congress, so they can do nothing but sit back, keep getting their kickbacks from BigMed® whilst finger pointing and blaming POTUS.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:42 PM

Bump: Very good article by Fareed Zakaria
https://www.dailycamera.com/2020/02/...avian-fantasy/
Read the whole article. My allowable three:
"One final statistic: A 2008 OECD report found that the top 10% in the United States pay 45% of all income taxes, while the top 10% in Denmark pay 26% and in Sweden 27%. Among wealthy countries, the average is 32%. The basic point is worth underlining because the American left seems largely unaware of it, and it has only become more true over the last decade: The United States has a significantly more progressive tax code than Europe, and its top 10% pay a vastly greater share of the country’s taxes than their European counterparts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies