Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Germany already has strict gun laws, they also have certain laws against hate speech that disturb the public peace or promote violence against certain groups.
Yet all reports I have seen as of late show that far right type movements (not just lone actors) are growing in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe as well), and the murderer in the this incident readily found himself the weapon he wanted to commit his acts.

The strict gun laws they have you mentioned, don't seem to be working to prevent this type of thing. Maybe stricter yet gun laws? Heck they don't have any 2nd amendments type things in Germany to get in the way, do they? And extremist speech (much less murder. Heck this latest criminal actually sounds like terrorism to me....)

So should Germany crack down on far right extremism, or crack down on guns? From what I read, it seems far right extremists are behind much of the violence that happens in Germany. Crack down on them and get rid of them, and then the peaceful others can still enjoy hunting, sport shooting, etc....
Or should they crack down on both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
... number of large cities, and land size ...
Somebody here needs a geography lesson.

Germany is far more crowded than the US, and has just as many big cities. They have 83 million people crammed into an area the size of Montana.

But in spite of all those big cities and mega crowding, they have a rock bottom homicide rate. As I pointed out several months ago, even ultra-liberal Hamburg with 1.8 million people has a lower homicide rate than North Dakota

Old 02-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Which link....
You'll have to ask NeutralParty that. It was his post you were referring to.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Controlling access to guns? You seem to have forgotten that gun laws that were intended to "control access" to guns have been around for decades and they still have not stopped criminals from getting guns illegally.

On gun-free zones - What makes you think a "No Firearms" allowed sign would stop someone with sinister intentions from walking into such premises armed? A gun-free zone is seen as opportunity for criminals and/or mentally disturbed individuals.

There are no "assault weapons", there are only assault humans and stricter gun laws would only deny access to us decent law-abiding citizens and the means to defend ourselves.

Whether laws that pertain to guns are local or national, they will not stop criminals from getting them.

You did not read my post. If you had, you'd see that I acknowledge every point you tried to pin on me. Either you didn't read it, or you were lying to make a point.

EVERY.SINGLE.POINT you tried to make, I acknowledged.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Morris View Post
Republican right wing terrorism has surpassed Muslim extremism. Emboldened by IMPOTUS tRump, it is not a matter of if, the next slaughter of innocent human beings will happen but when.

It actually hasn't.

Throughout the world the #1 source of terror is Muslim exremism and Islam.

In the USA, Muslims, who represent 1-2% of the population, are responsible for 25-35% o fall COMPLETED acts of terror, and many more thwarted.

It's only by clever accounting and by fooling people who don't know what "proportionality" and "percentages of population" work that we arrive at the conclusion that "right wing terrorism is what we have to worry about most."

Or, in your case, where Republicans are supported by 1/3-1/2 of the population. The chance of your average Republican turning violent and committing terror is way, way less than any random Muslim going "Allahu Snackbar" on your ass.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:39 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You'll have to ask NeutralParty that. It was his post you were referring to.
And he has run away from my question....because he cannot provide the link....

Old 02-20-2020, 09:47 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
It makes it easier to be a murderer.
So does being insane

Old 02-20-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
And he has run away from my question....because he cannot provide the link....
Ah yes, here we go again, chucksnee painting himself into a corner and then trying make it look like the person who painted him into a corner is running away. To wit: right below, chucksnee referred to a point NeutralPary, not I, made. I don't know what link NeutralParty was referring to, because I am not NeutralParty. So if chucksnee wants to know what link NeutralParty was referring to, he should ask NeutralParty. Duh.

Quote:
You should ask that of your buddy....you know, your buddy who said an "official statement" ......probably does not cut it....sorry.

So your buddy lied....thanks for clarifying that.
Of course, the reality here is that chucksnee is trying to divert attention from the reality that this shooter was a right wing nut. It is 100% diversion, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:00 AM

Since some people here insist on links to official statements, from the office of the German Federal Attorney General Peter Frank, here is his statement:

https://www.generalbundesanwalt.de/S...0-02-2020.html

But as I said, it's in German.

Translating one paragraph it says: "There is serious evidence of a racist background to the crime. These result from the videos and documents apparently from Tobias R."

IOW, what the media has been reporting is the same as the official statement.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How do you think the US gun murder rate for white non-Hispanics compares to Germany?

I'll give you a clue that might help you guess about that number:

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...e-non-hispanic
And the Black murder rate varies by state. Missouri, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, Indiana, West Virginia, Tennessee, they have amongthe worst Black homicide rates. States with some of the lowest Black homicide rates include: Utah, Montana, Washington state, Oregon, Vermont, South Dakota, Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies