Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Of course they do. They use knives. Knives are not covered under our constitution either. We'd have the same problem if we did an Australian style gun confiscation.
The 'knife crime' rates between the UK and the US is nearly identical (sorry I don't know about Germany but if I had to guess I reckon its likely to be pretty similar to both) but for guns it's a different matter, you tell me - why do you think that is? (this is where you now try to completely ignore my question) :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 12:28 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The 'knife crime' rates between the UK and the US is nearly identical (sorry I don't know about Germany but if I had to guess I reckon its likely to be pretty similar to both) but for guns it's a different matter, you tell me - why do you think that is? (this is where you now try to completely ignore my question) :-D
Well, for one it's because we have 400-500 million guns. We also have a salad bowl style populace now. We haven't always had high crime rates related to firearms. That's because we all tried to get along. New comers assimilated and we were fairly homogeneous.

To say it's "just the guns" is a simpleton answer and the fact that it is different all across the US should be fairly easy to understand. Getting shot in a mass shooting is still less than 1/10th of 1%. Getting shot in a ghetto at 2 am is still statistically low but I'm not going to test it.

But, we can't have shootings in a gun free vacuum.That is a ridiculous answer to a ridiculous question. There has to be somewhere in the middle without trying to disarm the law abiding.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, for one it's because we have 400-500 million guns. We also have a salad bowl style populace now. We haven't always had high crime rates related to firearms. That's because we all tried to get along. New comers assimilated and we were fairly homogeneous.

To say it's "just the guns" is a simpleton answer and the fact that it is different all across the US should be fairly easy to understand. Getting shot in a mass shooting is still less than 1/10th of 1%. Getting shot in a ghetto at 2 am is still statistically low but I'm not going to test it.

But, we can't have shootings in a gun free vacuum.That is a ridiculous answer to a ridiculous question. There has to be somewhere in the middle without trying to disarm the law abiding.
Of course it's 'simple' EVERY first world nation that has implemented some control on firearms has a FAR FAR FAR lower rate of people shot to death, it's not even close, it's not even close to being close, trying to claim that its because the US has some kind of 'special' population of human (which you keep harping on about) is laughable, every first world country has criminals, every first world country has gangs, every first world country has suicides but only the US has an extortionately high amount of people shot to death every year, its not rocket science!

Old 02-27-2020, 06:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Of course it's 'simple' EVERY first world nation that has implemented some control on firearms has a FAR FAR FAR lower rate of people shot to death, it's not even close, it's not even close to being close, trying to claim that its because the US has some kind of 'special' population of human (which you keep harping on about) is laughable, every first world country has criminals, every first world country has gangs, every first world country has suicides but only the US has an extortionately high amount of people shot to death every year, its not rocket science!
Truly. LOL. It's not quantum physics. Thing is that it's not legal responsible gun owners in the US or their legal access to firearms or the dealers we get our firearms from that are responsible for criminal use if guns.

Gangs and other criminals gat their guns illegally. This count of the hundreds of millions of guns in the US DOES NOT include even a rough estimate of the guns in criminal hands.

When the latter are brought up the anti gun folks always say criminal weapons are stolen from private citizens and gun dealers. They claim that criminals guns all started as legal private arms. That is untrue.

That is only represents a small fraction of criminally possessed firearms. Most of these guns actually started out in posession of the US government. Mainly the military. Or they came from overseas or from othe countries military's especially Mexico and Central America.

Corrupt members of these countries militaries see warehouses full of weapons and ammunition wind up with the cartels. Along with all the other weapons from all the other sources they keep river of illegal weapons flowing North.

A LOT of these weapons have a US military property stamp on them. So in reality it's not the legal firearms and the "easy access" we citizens have to the same that is supplying the criminal firearms misuse habit.

So pray tell how is restricting my access and right as a legal firearms owner going to make the US the peaceful Utopia that Europe is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies