Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
And it still should be. Matter of fact I believe a full semester of firearms study should be a requirement for HS graduation. Basic safety and handling at least a measure of proficiency and a solid understanding of the obligations and responsibility attached to the right to keep and bear. ...
Believe it or not but I actually agree with that. But I think that should be part of a requirement that you need a license to own and operate a firearm. It would be just like driving: You need a license to do it but you also get lessons in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
I just happen to have found a graph...
Graph is severely outdated it doesn’t include Rwanda’s modern murder rate of 2.6 per 100,000 or Ghana’s murder rate of 2.1 per 100,000 or a dozen African countries with low rates. Literally only includes the ones with high rates.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:16 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Such an articulate argument. You can lower your odds by hiding in your basement. Or jailing felons. There are many things you can do that are unconstitutional to the US. What does the German Constitution say about firearms.
Yeah, I know. I'm sorry you don't like math and facts.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Believe it or not but I actually agree with that. But I think that should be part of a requirement that you need a license to own and operate a firearm. It would be just like driving: You need a license to do it but you also get lessons in high school.
I dont agree with a license requirement. It's not like driving. It's a right not a state privilege. It would be the same as requiring a license to have a computer and use the internet.

No way around that. I am open to considering tighter requirements for carrying in public. As a firearms instructor and competitor I have seen far to many people who should not be carrying a weapon but have been passed to do so.

I know I know. Constitution. But being qualified for defensive carry and having the ability to properly function in a defensive situation I believe falls under " well regulated" provisions.

Not in government oversight but in the responsibility of the bearer to be proficient in the use of arms. Having a weapon and having the wherewithal to use it with proper skill are not one in the same.

A CCW qualification course should be just that. A course of instruction and certification of a certain level of proficiency. And a student should be able to do far more than just get five rounds on paper at 7 yards.

I've seen CCW holders come to the line in competition completely unable to handle their pistol even safely let alone function firing it. I have had to stop matches and send shooters off the line after clearing and putting the weapon in their holster myself.

A CCW holder in our competitions is required to shoot B class or above. Same as any LE or armed security or anyone who Carrie's a gun as part of their job. At least that level of skill is expected. And B class ain't that tough.

C is for youth, rank beginners, elderly or disabled shooters. A cop or CCW holder competing in C is serious sandbagging. It's not allowed. Yet I've seen both the latter unable to compete at the expected level.

Theres something wrong with a system that allows that. I mean c' mon man! A certified law enforcement officer who cannot even ready his weapon safely in preperation for a competition shooting steel plates because he's so nervous hes shaking like a dog sh*+!=$ peach seeds.

What would happen if he were actually facing an armed suspect? Same for a CCW holder. It's a conundrum to be sure. Anyone carrying a weapon with the possibility of having g to use that weapon in defense of their life or more importantly the lives of others has a DUTY to be able to do so with skill and certainty.

Proper judgement and dexterous handling. You need not be Steven Seagal or Massad Ayoob but you certainly should NOT be Barney Fife. Just my .02 for whatever it's worth.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:36 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, I know. I'm sorry you don't like math and facts.
Fact, the US has a Constitution. Deal with it.

Another fact. Gun restrictions didn't stop German shooting.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You'd have to amend the Constitution to do that and that is close to an impossibility.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:17 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You lower your odds of being gunned down by being able to protect yourself.
What do you base that bollox on? Statistics say otherwise! And it ain't even close!

Old 02-25-2020, 03:19 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The U.S. has a unique cultural situation very different from Germany. We have many, many large cities with a violent inner city Black population that likes to kill each other, often using guns obtained ILLEGALLY. They are also often multiple Felons and can't even legally touch a gun, but they get them anyway and use them in an already illegal manner.

More laws won't stop them. Putting them in jail and KEEPING them in jail will. Stop the Plea Deals with gun crimes.
You think Germany doesn't have inner city violent gangs!!? Are we supposef to believe all Germans peace loving hippies!?

Old 02-25-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You think Germany doesn't have inner city violent gangs!!? Are we supposef to believe all Germans peace loving hippies!?
Of course they do. They use knives. Knives are not covered under our constitution either. We'd have the same problem if we did an Australian style gun confiscation.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Of course they do. They use knives. Knives are not covered under our constitution either. We'd have the same problem if we did an Australian style gun confiscation.
As I said, I'm sorry you don't like facts and math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies