Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 06:31 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times

Advertisements

I think the op is a great writer, he really pull together ideas on a given subject. Whether or not someone agrees or not. Great thinker. I think that superficially I agree 100 percent with his OP.

That said, I struggle here, I think things are heading toward the proverbial mountain.

Is it really? How many idealistic kids grow up and eventually get some common sense?

While my fears are many, I have unusually optimistic view here

Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 06:33 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think you need to start there.

I turn off my phone every day before I head home from work and don't turn it on again until I get out of the shower in the morning. And unless I want to take a few photos somewhere, I never turn it on on the weekend. If somebody wants to call me, they can call me at my home phone #.

When I get out of the house, unless I'm going to work, I do not want to be contacted. So I never bring my phone.

It sounds like you're giving in to a modern world that you don't want to give in to. To which I say, Why do you let yourself give in to it? If doing so inconveniences other people, too bad.
It's not that it inconveniences anyone so much. And I can turn it off but I have to let certain people know in advance if I'm going to be out of touch. File a flight plan so to speak.

Like I said medical issues from old injuries have caught up with me. And theres been complications from the treatment of it all. Had a couple close calls that almost had me checking out.

So if I'm suddenly not answering my phone or responding to texts theres people who worry. Because there have been a couple times where I dropped out of touch because I was on a helicopter med lift or in an ambulance headed for the trauma center.

I'm not that old. In only 55. But I got busted up really bad when I was young. Got back on my feet and spent 35 years in a really physical trade. So...here I am. I just have people who care about me.

So my phone being on if I can have it on is a courtesy I extend for certain people. Plus calling or sending texts to let them know I'm ok. It is what it is.

Old 02-22-2020, 11:43 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Exactly! Every generation has wondered "what's wrong with kids these days?" They'll be fine!
“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

Old 02-23-2020, 12:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Coming home from play in a condition of utterly filthy doesn't happen as much. Parents panic if their kid finds a mud hole. People are literally bathing their kids head to toe five times a day. The germophobia is just jaw dropping.
Well, A and B. A: No wonder we have water shortages. B: Well, my designer didn't balk at having a mud room in the house.
Quote:
....I couldnt wait to get my own place after graduation and already had a job and my own vehicle. Which I had to pay for, register and insure and keep running. I see a LOT of youths today that don't even care about getting their driver's license. Many of those types are the ones still at home in their 20s.
I think this may get into a lot of how we go about relationships. Myself, I learned to fly at 15 but didn't learn to drive till 17. Why the latter age? Essentially, I didn't need to drive till 17 and then, situations happened where it became critical that I did.

But I think a big factor here was I was not dating. I was doing a lot of activities where the parents picked me up from school or dropped me off and then picked me up, but I was not dating. Dating is probably a crucial factor that makes the young want to get the DL, IMHO.

A rather paradox about me is that my independence drive, which became quite apparent in my late 20s, was started as a teen by reading about Playboy Playmates. I wanted to be independent like them, in the text, and couldn't wait for such..........but probably about just everything else about after graduation, I was clueless.....at best memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don’t think there has been an increase in abduction rates. We are however far more aware of it, when it happens. That awareness has made most parents more protective.

Like a lot of boomers, my parents had no clue where or how my sister and I spent our days. We were enrolled in a park day camp. We ditched it after the morning swim. No one noticed or cared.

We did have a solid sense of “ stranger danger” and understood to NEVER get into a car with a stranger, no matter the story.
We-ll, that was one thing about my life, people constantly looking after me. Diplomatic passports, VIPs, there were always eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
People have been complaining about the younger generations since time immemorial. Things are different, but not necessarily worse. Most of us couldn't bridle a horse or churn butter but we didn't have to. If you can't cook today, you don't need to as long as you have a microwave.
Might still be able to bridle a horse. You put the bit into his mouth first and then pull it over his head, right?

As far as getting one's subsistence from the microwave, it might be better if people could cook a little. Better on the wallet to be using raw goods more, better on the body to be using processed foods less.
Quote:
........I do occasionally "pine" for the times I could go fishing and not worry about the phone till I got home. I dare not turn my phone off anymore. To many what ifs dogging my tracks. Panic ensues if I dont answer my phone and it doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing.
Me, there are many times when I will go radio silent. There's an answering machine, leave a message. We'll set up a time table for the times when my masts will be up and I'll be listening.Given my scuba diving life, the time table thing can be quite literal.
Quote:
It's not that it inconveniences anyone so much. And I can turn it off but I have to let certain people know in advance if I'm going to be out of touch. File a flight plan so to speak.

Like I said medical issues from old injuries have caught up with me. And theres been complications from the treatment of it all. Had a couple close calls that almost had me checking out.

So if I'm suddenly not answering my phone or responding to texts theres people who worry. Because there have been a couple times where I dropped out of touch because I was on a helicopter med lift or in an ambulance headed for the trauma center.........
Well, been there, that too.......only I was the one sending the message of "Request that your report your position IMMEDIATELY.". His philandering had been discovered.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-23-2020 at 01:26 AM..

Old 02-23-2020, 02:00 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Adolescence is prolonged because children are not considered unemployed.

There is less demand for unskilled labor, so you need more time to train to be employed, and likewise there is less expectation that you be an adult at a given age.

More people are unable to be productive with each passing year because the demands of employment are growing faster than our educational system can teach skills. And indeed the biological basis of aptitude changes at a far slower pace, so more are left behind every year.

Extended adolescence is a social coping mechanism for the increasing share of the population that is unemployable.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:12 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
All those who enjoyed your same schedule, also learned how to resolve conflict within a group setting. That was a valuable lesson not available to todays kids.
Kids today have to deal with internet trolls, people trolling them in the worst way, with complete anonymity. It's a colder world, one where working out your problems are not always solved by a face to face encounter, in a group or one on one.

This is the kind of world our kids live in, and at a lesser extent, us too. So kids growing up today will have to learn how to solve disagreements online and in person. I just hope people do not become cruel and hardened by all the hostile confrontations by nameless faceless trolls they encounter with online social media.

We have already seen what social media trolls are doing to our culture. All it takes for a CEO to get fired now, is an organized attack by gangs of internet trolls.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, A and B. A: No wonder we have water shortages. B: Well, my designer didn't balk at having a mud room in the house.
I think this may get into a lot of how we go about relationships. Myself, I learned to fly at 15 but didn't learn to drive till 17. Why the latter age? Essentially, I didn't need to drive till 17 and then, situations happened where it became critical that I did.

But I think a big factor here was I was not dating. I was doing a lot of activities where the parents picked me up from school or dropped me off and then picked me up, but I was not dating. Dating is probably a crucial factor that makes the young want to get the DL, IMHO.

A rather paradox about me is that my independence drive, which became quite apparent in my late 20s, was started as a teen by reading about Playboy Playmates. I wanted to be independent like them, in the text, and couldn't wait for such..........but probably about just everything else about after graduation, I was clueless.....at best memories.

We-ll, that was one thing about my life, people constantly looking after me. Diplomatic passports, VIPs, there were always eyes.

Might still be able to bridle a horse. You put the bit into his mouth first and then pull it over his head, right?

As far as getting one's subsistence from the microwave, it might be better if people could cook a little. Better on the wallet to be using raw goods more, better on the body to be using processed foods less.

Me, there are many times when I will go radio silent. There's an answering machine, leave a message. We'll set up a time table for the times when my masts will be up and I'll be listening.Given my scuba diving life, the time table thing can be quite literal.

Well, been there, that too.......only I was the one sending the message of "Request that your report your position IMMEDIATELY.". His philandering had been discovered.
I've been the one requesting a sit rep and check in as well. One of the people who frets over me is not any better off than me with possible medical concerns.

And quite annoyingly she often blows me off. And gets indignant when I call her on it. Theres some...disagreement there.

LOL...outed philandering is certainly a reason to send out a sit rep order. Straight from CENTCOM actual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies