Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 05:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times

Advertisements

I heard a famous black comedian say when black men get desperate they sell dope just like the government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 05:11 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
I think Republican opposition to marijuana can best be summed up with with the following quote.

"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." - H.L. Mencken.

Republicans believe that true happiness comes from Jesus Christ alone and that vices need to be heavily regulated if not prohibited as means of pointing a lost world to Christ. They see cannabis as a vice and there's nothing that will change their minds on that.

Thing is, even if it is a vice shouldn't people be able to have the freedom to partake in the vices they choose as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
We don't like the intoxicant drug carelessly dispersed in public air by potheads. "Smell" has nothing to do with it.
If it wasn't for that you'd find some other reason to keep it illegal. Fact of the matter is you want cannabis users stigmatized and locked up, period.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
We don't like the intoxicant drug carelessly dispersed in public air by potheads. "Smell" has nothing to do with it.
But "you" (Florida Republicans, in this case) are A-OK with unlimited exhaust (no state inspection in Florida), Red Tide aerosols and toxins (proven to hurt and kill) and tens of billions of gallons of sewage going into the land and water?

Really. That's totally fantastic.

To give you some idea of how Florida republicans think, I once asked on a local group that people (living close together) be careful about their outdoor backyard fire pits - to try and burn cleaner so they don't smoke out their neighbors.

The pushback was completely amazing as everyone verified their 100% right to smoke up a square mile or more from their 1/4 acre patch.

And I'm supposed to believe you? Try breathing near those oil refineries in Red Texas. Ah, the smell of....cancer causing chemicals. I guess the public has no "right" to not smell those? In fact, Trump has declared that we all must be exposed to more and more.

Nah, I don't believe you. Not if you support any of those other things.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I can still get arrested. Damn simple.
Doubt you'd gt arrested smoking in your home. It's obtaining it that is at issue.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:20 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomange.../#4fd3939a762b

This is why I think we are still a decade or two away from federal legalization in the U.S. It's a shame because this issue is one that could be bipartisan. The divide on it is more generational than it is partisan, but the Republican Party seems ready to go all in on prohibition. Meanwhile, the Democrats are becoming far more comfortable with openly supporting legalization.

Question for conservatives: How does keeping marijuana illegal protect the moral fabric of our society?
Re: the bolded. Of course they are.

If they're comfortable letting boys use the same bathrooms as girls, comfortable with boys pretending that they are girls and decimating girls sports, comfortable letting D senators marry their brother, comfortable with voting for a commie for president, comfortable with eliminating borders, comfortable with unending illegal immigration, comfortable with trying to force the rich to pay for healthcare, childcare, eldercare and education (for the ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE COUNTRY), comfortable with demonizing 800,000 law enforcement officers, comfortable with abortion up until the moment of birth (and in some cases after the moment of birth) - then why wouldn't they be comfortable with a free-for-all on pot smoking? Kind of a no-brainer.

I'll take a page from Trump and just call you Captain Obvious.

Old 02-21-2020, 05:21 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
question for liberals...why did you make it illegal to begin with in 1937????
What an asinine question.

Here's one for you: Why did Nixon start the "war on drugs" in 1970 and schedule cannabis in the same class as heroin?

Old 02-21-2020, 05:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Re: the bolded. Of course they are.

If they're comfortable letting boys use the same bathrooms as girls, comfortable with boys pretending that they are girls and decimating girls sports, comfortable letting D senators marry their brother, comfortable with voting for a commie for president, comfortable with eliminating borders, comfortable with unending illegal immigration, comfortable with trying to force the rich to pay for healthcare, childcare, eldercare and education (for the ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE COUNTRY), comfortable with demonizing 800,000 law enforcement officers, comfortable with abortion up until the moment of birth (and in some cases after the moment of birth) - then why wouldn't they be comfortable with a free-for-all on pot smoking? Kind of a no-brainer.

I'll take a page from Trump and just call you Captain Obvious.
You sound like you'd be a lot happier living somewhere like Iran where everyone is forced to obey the rules of a religion and there's strict and severe punishment for anyone who deviates.

I don't want to live in an America that's a Southern Baptist police state.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:04 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomange.../#4fd3939a762b

This is why I think we are still a decade or two away from federal legalization in the U.S. It's a shame because this issue is one that could be bipartisan. The divide on it is more generational than it is partisan, but the Republican Party seems ready to go all in on prohibition. Meanwhile, the Democrats are becoming far more comfortable with openly supporting legalization.

Question for conservatives: How does keeping marijuana illegal protect the moral fabric of our society?
I'm fine with legalizing marijuana as long as the user is responsible for any resulting health care bills. As it stands, we don't have that. If you wind up with some health problems from ingesting smoke, as so often is the case, the taxpayer may well be on the hook (on the hookah?) for footing the medical bills.

So it's not about 'moral fabric.' It's about taxpayer money fabric.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:07 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post

Here's one for you: Why did Nixon start the "war on drugs" in 1970 and schedule cannabis in the same class as heroin?
Nah, marijuana was outlawed in 1914, by the Harrison Act, signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson. Prior to that it was widely sold in pharmacy shops. Wilson started the war on drugs, not Nixon. By the time Nixon came along (1968), the war on drugs was already in full swing.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post

It was Nixons way of going after black people and those who were against the Vietnam war.

Hi advisors at the time have already admitted they lied about the dangers of Marijuana, and that it was created to be a tool of racism, these drug laws allowed them to target minorities by their drug of choice, (it was pretty clever actually).

All the drug laws should have been abolished when civil rights was passed though.

There is also the issue of Govt not respecting the will of the people...that has consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies