Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 10:16 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,403 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z2X...&feature=share

As a Canadian who grew up with Medicare For All, I can’t understand for the life of me why Americans are so afraid of such a system. Canadians cherish their system and feel sorry for Americans, especially the working poor who lack access to affordable healthcare. The same goes for every other developed country, they feel sorry for Americans.

And let me add, if America had such a great healthcare system, why is there such a strong political opposition to it? You don’t see this in other developed countries, there is no political movement to further privatize their systems and take away public funding. They look at what’s happening in the U.S and they want nothing to do with it. I know this as a Canadian and from having family in Europe.

America stands alone in the world when it comes to lack of affordable healthcare to its citizens.

Last edited by Eli34; 02-20-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 10:22 AM

1,161 posts, read 434,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z2X...&feature=share

As a Canadian who grew up with Medicare For All, I can’t understand for the life of me why Americans are so afraid of such a system. Canadians cherish their system and feel sorry for Americans, especially the working poor who lack access to affordable healthcare. The same goes for every other developed country, they feel sorry for Americans.

America stands alone in the world when it comes to lack of affordable healthcare to its citizens.

It's unreal.

I live in the northern part of the states and have been across the border many times. I've developed a lot of friendships with people up there and I WOULD laugh at how often I hear Americans talk about how terrible the healthcare up there is, if it wasn't for the fact that that fear and ignorance is perpetuated by the people who make money off of our healthcare so that Americans will oppose Medicare for All.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:38 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
I’ve been wanting to watch this, thanks OP, will when I’m off work.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
The argument against it is ideological, not actually about policy or costs or quality of care. It's driven largely by 1) For profit insurance companies that stand to lose money and wall st that counts on them for profits 2) anti-government ideological zealots who see anything that benefits a collective or utilizes the state to improve quality of life as pure evil.

This forum is jam packed with "#2s", pun intended. They cherry pick some stats to try to sway peoples opinions, but the bottom line is that even if presented with 100% definitive proof that this is better policy that would cut cost and improve care, they are fundamentally opposed to it because of anti-government ideology.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
This is very logical and reasonably argued which means it will persuade no one who opposes Medicare for All.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:03 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I watched it and he doesn't really address things with hard specifics fact based things, it seems. It covered three areas of people's concerns and again, didn't feel like solid proven answers, my take away was why not try it and see, really.

I feel for the lady that had to select between her medications. I think something needs to be done, but going to full blown government medical for end to end care and coverage doesn't seem all that great to me.

If we follow some of the Nordic countries for examples to sorta look at see what works for them. My understanding it that their systems are a mixture of still basically private and some government. I think that we need to sorta look across various nations and cherry pick to get some ideas about what works and what doesn't.

I also do think that there is a vested interest by many parties to keep the status quo. That needs to be addressed too.

Old 02-20-2020, 04:07 PM

812 posts, read 736,553 times
My favorites are the people that say they don't trust government to run their Healthcare while simultaneously voting for the same representatives over and over because they have an R next to their name on the ballot.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:31 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
My favorites are the people that say they don't trust government to run their Healthcare while simultaneously voting for the same representatives over and over because they have an R next to their name on the ballot.
Or D. Whichever.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Holy sh*t, there is an insurance company in Utah that flies its patients down to San Diego and then takes them by private car to a pharmacy in Tijuana, and it is still cheaper than just providing them their prescriptions here? In fact, it even awards a $500 bonus for doing this. What?

And Remote Medical Access, which used to provide free medical care in developing countries, now devotes 80% of its time and resources to the United States?

Houston, we have a problem.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:15 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
So they shouldn't vote? What a dumb take what does this even mean. Those two things are unrelated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies